PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ATI Raedon HD 4650 driver on Ubuntu 11.10

lonekingc4
January 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hi. I am using an ATI Raedon HD 4650 graphics card. My OS is Ubuntu 11.10. I tried to install the graphics card driver from System settings-->Additional drivers. But it has proprietary driver. I installed that and after than the graphics went worse. So I removed it. Are there any open source Ubuntu supported drivers for this card? If so, how can I install it? Please explain in an easy way as I am fairly new in the Linux world. Cheers.

coffeecat
January 20th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Are there any open source Ubuntu supported drivers for this card? If so, how can I install it?

Yes, the one you were using before you installed the proprietary driver, and the one you are using now (if you are getting a GUI). :)

Ubuntu comes complete with the open source drivers for ATI cards. Is there a problem with the driver for you? So long as you are not a gamer, the open source driver is usually more than adequate for giving you 3d for compiz/Unity and for high-definition video playback. I don't have experience of your card, but my Radeon HD4350 and HD5450 cards work just fine (for my purposes) with the default open source driver.

lonekingc4
January 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM
Yes, the one you were using before you installed the proprietary driver, and the one you are using now (if you are getting a GUI). :)

Ubuntu comes complete with the open source drivers for ATI cards. Is there a problem with the driver for you? So long as you are not a gamer, the open source driver is usually more than adequate for giving you 3d for compiz/Unity and for high-definition video playback. I don't have experience of your card, but my Radeon HD4350 and HD5450 cards work just fine (for my purposes) with the default open source driver.

Thanks a lot :D No, I'm not a gamer. But I wanted to activate graphics like Compiz etc. I thought it wasn't possible without graphics card driver, but according to you, it is already installed by default. I am enjoying the new Compiz I installed ;) Thanks :) Cheers.