PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I have a question about installing my HDD with ubuntu into a new system.

BeyondtheClouds
January 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I ordered a CPU, MB(Open Box...hope it comes with the cables and i/o shield), memory, and a PSU from newegg a few days ago. I plan on using my old hard drive, but I was running windows XP. I didn't feel like paying $100 for windows 7 so I decided to use ubuntu. (glad that I switched, I'm in love with Ubuntu now.) Even on this old gateway it runs 10x better than XP did, and it looks good while doing it. Anyways, could I take this HDD and install it in a brand new system with no problems? Or would I have to wipe the drive and then install Ubuntu again.

And if my motherboard doesn't come with the SATA cables, would anyone here know if I could use my old SATA cable?

lincoln32
January 19th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I move ubuntu drives from computer to computer often but---certain combinations can stop it from working.
windows xp to current will not work when moved they are tied to the cpu
I do recommend fresh installs just to keep the built up unused files from the old computer but these should be real small so it it only minor detail:D

P.S you can use old cable if the new motherboard has a connector for it

Xihuitl
January 19th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Easy question first... SATA cables are SATA cables. The only reason you wouldn't be able to use your old cable is if it won't reach from your new MB's connector to the HD.

As far as dropping your HD into a new system (which is essentially what you are doing, it shouldn't be an issue. You might need to install new drivers, such as video. However, I have always made it a habit to back up important things to an external HD. It isn't strictly needed, but I have always re-installed Ubuntu when switching major hardware, just because that is how I am. If your data is backed up externally, it would be a piece of cake to reinstall, then restore your stuff.

RefinersFire
January 20th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I move ubuntu drives from computer to computer often but---certain combinations can stop it from working.

Not always true. I have moved my ubuntu installs from systems to systems. You're 1/2 right.

windows xp to current will not work when moved they are tied to the cpu

Try that one again. I used to move XP installs from system to system. XP could adapt to other systems. Rarely have I had a problem.

Keep in mind, all the drives I have moved from system to system are to completely different motherboards, and even from Intel to AMD.

BeyondtheClouds: Back up your important files to a USB, ubuntu cloud (Ubuntu One), or an external HDD, just in case. I have had one ubuntu install that didn't work when I put the HDD in another system. I had to reinstall. I lost everything. Good thing I was still using Windows and just experimenting with Linux at that time, so I didn't lose anything important. You should be fine, but you may need to install the new motherboard's drivers, or reinstall ubuntu.

Dngrsone
January 20th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Not always true. I have moved my ubuntu installs from systems to systems. You're 1/2 right.

Try that one again. I used to move XP installs from system to system. XP could adapt to other systems. Rarely have I had a problem.

Keep in mind, all the drives I have moved from system to system are to completely different motherboards, and even from Intel to AMD.

BeyondtheClouds: Back up your important files to a USB, ubuntu cloud (Ubuntu One), or an external HDD, just in case. I have had one ubuntu install that didn't work when I put the HDD in another system. I had to reinstall. I lost everything. Good thing I was still using Windows and just experimenting with Linux at that time, so I didn't lose anything important. You should be fine, but you may need to install the new motherboard's drivers, or reinstall ubuntu.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee303/Dngrs_1/eh.gif

I have moved Ubuntu between platforms with little effort. As Lincoln32 said, there can be new hardware combinations that will cause an existing Ubuntu install to choke and not boot up. With that in mind, I do recommend backing everything up before making the transfer, and again, as suggested, you might benefit from a fresh installation.

As for changing motherboards under Win XP, well... I have effected that before, but only with certain preparation beforehand, and though I have seen XP boot with a foreign motherboard before, it would lock up shortly after logging in: the OS assumes the motherboard hardware will never change.

C.S.Cameron
January 20th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Remember to remove any proprietary drivers before moving the Ubuntu drive.