PDA

View Full Version : [other] If the mother board gets fried what else can be damaged?

geekman2
January 19th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I was swapping out my old RAM for an upgrade and made the rookie mistake of not unplugging the power supply, frying my motherboard and the RAM. I have to replace the motherboard already but is there any way the graphics card ( its expensive I really don't want to replace it) ,my boot OS SSD, and CPU could be fried to? thanks for your help

I have a dead ASUS P7P55D motherboard and a intel i5 760, also an OCZ Vertex ssd and an ATI Radeon card I don't remember the exact model.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM
depends on hte type of frayed IE up in flames, crap load of sparks, smoked out

hard drives are probably ok
the other parts would need testing

Grenage
January 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
In theory, anything could be damaged; in practice, it's probably just the motherboard (and RAM?).

There's no way to know.

jerrrys
January 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
The few fried boards I have dealt with; I have been able to salvage everything removable. Ram, hdd, even cpu.

an after thought. You may want to check the power supply with a volt meter. Chances are its good, but...

geekman2
January 19th, 2012, 07:57 PM
There was/is no visible damage, sparks etc, also I know the power supply works if anybody else has anything else to contribute it would be appreciated thanks :D

satanselbow
January 19th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Not a lot more that can said really... if it was physically attached - it might have been taken out :( Only way to check it is by swap out substitution. As a glimmer of hope I have successfully reseated cpu on new mobo before :D Wasn't an ASRock board per chance? Had a whole series of exploding boards back in the good ol' K7 days :popcorn:

MoreOrLess
January 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Did you swap the RAM while the board was on or something? I haven't heard of frying RAM from standby power.

RefinersFire
January 20th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Just like satanselbow said, anything physically attached to the motherboard could have been fried. It all depends on where the power surge went in the motherboard.

How do you know the motherboard was fried? You mentioned that there was no physical signs. Check the capacitors for "bloating", or other signs. Check the motherboard for color variations.