PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu

throese
January 19th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I am planning on getting a new laptop, and I plan on it having between 8 or 16 GB of RAM, but I'm not sure as to what other aspects to look into so that when I get Ubuntu 64-bit it'll run smoothly on my new laptop. I know I'll need an AMD processor, just not sure which kind.

Currently taking two IT classes:

ITN 106 - Microcomputer Operating Systems
ITN 107 - PC Hardware and Troubleshooting

Taking both the same day this semester of college (2nd semester)

Any advice ladies and gentleman? I know it's been a while since I last came here.

deonis
January 19th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Linux is not very resource hungry so it will run smoothly on any modern laptop. However, I would recommend to have an Intel processor and Nvidia or Intel graphic card. At this point of Linux development RAM is not something you need to worry about. 4GB will do nicely. Also make sure that wifi card is supported by Linux ...

sammiev
January 19th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Bring a CD/DVD into the store with you and try it. Then you willl know if it's 100% compatible. That would be my 1st choice. :popcorn: I per fer Intel myself.

IWantFroyo
January 19th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Just look up the components and Google them individually along with "Ubuntu." Potential problems should pop right up.
Also, you don't have to get an AMD processor, unless I'm missing something here. Amd64 works well on both Intel and AMD processors, although I mainly stick with AMD myself (cheaper).

wolfen69
January 19th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Bring a CD/DVD into the store with you and try it. Then you willl know if it's 100% compatible. That would be my 1st choice. :popcorn: I prefer Intel myself.

This. I brought a live cd into Best Buy and made sure everything worked. If it's not possible for you to do that, check reviews and see if anyone is using linux on it.

Generally speaking, I find that laptops that use all Intel chipsets work most reliably. My last 3 laptops were all intel, and I never had a problem. I currently have a Dell Latitude E5520, that retails for about $950, with a quad core i5. I couldn't be any happier. :p And it runs vbox like a champ.

It seems to me that on some new(ish) laptops, graphics drivers can be problematic. Nvidia and AMD, to be specific. Staying with all intel, all but eliminates any chance of problems. If you're not a hard core gamer, stay away from nvidia and amd right now. Unless you're talking desktop, then you have a bit more control over things.

wolfen69
January 19th, 2012, 05:21 AM
although I mainly stick with AMD myself (cheaper).
Yeah, I can agree with amd for a desktop, but I'm not going to worry about it anymore and go intel for laptops. Just my opinion of course. ;)

throese
January 19th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Well, I want 8 to 16 GB of RAM because I had a 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM, it became really slow after a while and then the laptop burned out. =/

wolfen69
January 19th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Well, I want 8 to 16 GB of RAM because I had a 32-bit with 4 GB of RAM, it became really slow after a while and then the laptop burned out. =/

What OS were you using? 4gb of ram is more than enough for almost any task. If there was a slowdown, it wasn't because of the amount of memory. My netbook has 2gb on 32bit, but is extremely fast.

throese
January 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Reason it was slow is because originally the laptop had Windows Vista, then I put Win 7, then Ubuntu. The fan started to not do its job so well, then the laptop always overheated.