PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sony Vaio UX390N

Netsurfer_x1
January 18th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, I'm about to receive a Sony Vaio UX390N that I got for a very reasonable sum from Ebay. Naturally, I intend to junk the version of WIN (Vista) pre-installed on the unit & install 11.10.

But before I get it, and before I do anything stupid, I would like to know if there are any "Gotchas!" I need to worry about (i.e.: proprietary drivers, hardware not supported by Ubuntu, bugs, glitches, & other oddities, etc.)

Any help at all will be useful.

possumkeys
January 18th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Hi,
Been using it a bit. On my acer, there were brightness issues during install and also during booting that were solved by a simple script in rc.local. Might not be so on your Sony. Who knows.
Otherwise, no complaints from me.

raja.genupula
January 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM
HI man , install it and i am sure it will be fine . If you found any issues , all will be minor and by posting here you can get solution .

All the best.

Netsurfer_x1
January 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Hmmm...OK. I guess I'll just "cowboy" it & come back here with any issues I have.

With any luck, I'll be able to report no major issues, change the header to [SOLVED] & request the mods to lock the thread.

Wish me luck & I'll be back in a few days.

WinuxUser
January 18th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Well, goodluck. Guess you won't have any problem if u start right. Understand what you do with your linux coz linux thinks the same; that you know what you are doing.

Regards,WinuxUser

sudodus
January 18th, 2012, 10:52 AM
My little contribution would be to suggest you try not only 'vanilla' Ubuntu but also Kubuntu or some other flavour of Ubuntu. If you have a fairly fast internet connection, it is worthwhile to download another iso file, make a boot CD or USB drive and test it live before installing.

Netsurfer_x1
January 28th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Okay, testing complete. All things considered, installation went well. I attempted to fix any problems on my own, so anything posted here is stuff I need help resolving.

So here's the few remaining niggles to work out:

1. No sound from the built in speaker. It does pipe the sound out through the headphone jack, but inexplicably, no activity from the built in speaker.

2. The "VAIO Launcher" button is not recognized by the system. Attempted to map with similar function to the WIN key (opens the Dash), but no dice.

3. Zoom In/Out buttons are not recognized. Attempted to map to perform same activity. Again, no dice.

4. "Capture" button (not to be confused with PrtSc) is not recognized. I'd like this to launch a "camera" type program (also, can anyone recommend an app to use as such?). Then, while in the program, have it perform as a shutter release/record start/stop button.

5. Neither (front & rear-facing) "MotionEye" cameras are recognized (as confirmed by Skype).

6. The fingerprint/biometric scanner is not recognized by the system. Which is a bummer, because I'd like to use that to log in/authenticate instead of having to deal with the "thumb-board" style keyboard.

WinuxUser
January 28th, 2012, 05:12 AM
1. Did your built in speaker work when u had vista in it?? did u make sure that not ubuntu but vista would give u sound via your built in speakers?
2. If you press the WIN key in a PC, it will guide you to BASH itself...so thats not a big deal.
3. Maybe you dig in for some drivers so that the keyboard functionality works well.
4. In case of windows, "Print Scrn" button is present. On pressing it, it will let you save the screenshot it takes for you to the destination you want. I don't know about a VAIO though. There is a software called cheese...never tried that out but i guess the release/record and all gan be covered with that software.(see software center and search "cheese" there)
5. First solve this issue with webcam. But using cheese might make things right i guess...
6. Maybe the drivers are still missing.

I suggest you once open software center, search "Additional Drivers" in the searchbox(top-right corner), install the software and run it through bash(type Additional Drivers there too). This software will detect for additional drivers needed by your system and recommend you some..try those, have a restart and see if that works.

Good-luck and Happy Linuxing.
Regards,WinuxUser

critin
January 28th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Naturally, I intend to junk the version of WIN (Vista) pre-installed on the unit & install 11.10.

Have you used linux before? I vote for keeping Windows and dual booting until you feel comfortable with it. But of course, some would rather go 'cold turkey' and not depend on a security blanket. (windows) :P
At least make a recovery disk of Windows.

Netsurfer_x1
January 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
1. Did your built in speaker work when u had vista in it?? did u make sure that not ubuntu but vista would give u sound via your built in speakers?
2. If you press the WIN key in a PC, it will guide you to BASH itself...so thats not a big deal.
3. Maybe you dig in for some drivers so that the keyboard functionality works well.
4. In case of windows, "Print Scrn" button is present. On pressing it, it will let you save the screenshot it takes for you to the destination you want. I don't know about a VAIO though. There is a software called cheese...never tried that out but i guess the release/record and all gan be covered with that software.(see software center and search "cheese" there)
5. First solve this issue with webcam. But using cheese might make things right i guess...
6. Maybe the drivers are still missing.

I suggest you once open software center, search "Additional Drivers" in the searchbox(top-right corner), install the software and run it through bash(type Additional Drivers there too). This software will detect for additional drivers needed by your system and recommend you some..try those, have a restart and see if that works.

Good-luck and Happy Linuxing.
Regards,WinuxUser

Have you used linux before? I vote for keeping Windows and dual booting until you feel comfortable with it. But of course, some would rather go 'cold turkey' and not depend on a security blanket. (windows) :P
At least make a recovery disk of Windows.

For the both of you: One area of Linux that I'm very weak on is using Bash/Terminal. So I might need a bit of a skilled hand here.

For WinuxUser:

1. Yes, the built in speaker did work when I had Vista (it gave me the standard WIN sounds, i.e.: error beeps, 4 note boot fanfare, et al.). Granted, more often than not, I'll be using headphones with it anyway, but it's a nice option to have.

2. Actually, the WIN key opens up the Dash Home on my install. I can easily re-map that without problem though.

3. Already had a look through the system apps & did what I could with the knowledge I've got & the tools I had.

4. Actually, the "Capture" isn't meant to be used a screencap button. It's meant to serve the same function as camera's shutter release/record start/stop on a camera/camcorder. Perhaps I should clear that up in my original post (Oops! :X )

5. Thanks for the tip with regard to Cheese. I still didn't help. I would seem then, that drivers are missing.

6. That was my thought too.

Misc: Already ran the Additional Drivers app. It turned up no results.

For critin:

Yes, I have been using Linux for a while now. And I absolutely despise WIN, especially Vista! To me, Vista reminds me of that one car that General Motors makes, but that's so bad they can't even give it away.

mrgs
January 28th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Changed the thread title to a more informative one and moved it to the hardware forum.

When you are through experimenting, please consider a post in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006 .

Netsurfer_x1
January 28th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cool! Thanks much!

Netsurfer_x1
February 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM
Bumping because I know someone can help me sort this out & I don't want this one to get lost in the shuffle.

sudodus
February 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Bumping because I know someone can help me sort this out & I don't want this one to get lost in the shuffle.
Please be more specific and ask direct questions!

Netsurfer_x1
February 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Well, please see posts 7, 8 & 10 in this thread. Those are the questions & problems I'm trying to resolve.

sudodus
February 2nd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Okay, testing complete. All things considered, installation went well. I attempted to fix any problems on my own, so anything posted here is stuff I need help resolving.

So here's the few remaining niggles to work out:

1. No sound from the built in speaker. It does pipe the sound out through the headphone jack, but inexplicably, no activity from the built in speaker.

Sometimes you need to reconfigure the audio settings because they might simply be muted after installation. Try the graphical user interface (which looks different depending of version).

2. The "VAIO Launcher" button is not recognized by the system. Attempted to map with similar function to the WIN key (opens the Dash), but no dice.
I don't know, I don't have that computer. Let us hope someone with the same kind of computer comes in and helps

3. Zoom In/Out buttons are not recognized. Attempted to map to perform same activity. Again, no dice.
I don't know ...

4. "Capture" button (not to be confused with PrtSc) is not recognized. I'd like this to launch a "camera" type program (also, can anyone recommend an app to use as such?). Then, while in the program, have it perform as a shutter release/record start/stop button.I don't know about the button, ... Try Cheese!

5. Neither (front & rear-facing) "MotionEye" cameras are recognized (as confirmed by Skype).
I don't know ...

6. The fingerprint/biometric scanner is not recognized by the system. Which is a bummer, because I'd like to use that to log in/authenticate instead of having to deal with the "thumb-board" style keyboard. I'm not sure there is such software for Ubuntu. My daughter has a Toshiba with fingerprint, which only works in Vista.

mrgs
February 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Having so many problems with 11.10 it is worth trying a live boot of 12.04.

Netsurfer_x1
February 3rd, 2012, 11:50 PM
An interesting idea. But after having been burned by "alpha" software before (it wasn't Ubuntu), I don't use alpha software, & I avoid using betas as much as possible.

Netsurfer_x1
February 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
Sometimes you need to reconfigure the audio settings because they might simply be muted after installation. Try the graphical user interface (which looks different depending of version).

I messed around with that (spent a good 15 minutes or so testing all options), no dice.

mrgs
February 3rd, 2012, 11:57 PM
I was thinking of a live boot. It is important to know what is in the pipeline no matter if you install or not.

sudodus
February 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I was thinking of a live boot. It is important to know what is in the pipeline no matter if you install or not.

I support that suggestion of mrgs (to try Ubuntu 12.04 alpha live). Furthermore, I suggest that you try other distros live, for example Linux Mint 12 (based on Ubuntu 11.10). Maybe you can browse the internet searching for linux Vaio UX390N and find a success story leading you to a distro, that works well with your hardware. At least you should get the loudspeakers and cameras to work.

mrgs
February 4th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Maybe this thread helps:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1731232

Netsurfer_x1
February 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hmmm...An interesting idea. Might be worth investigating.