PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Can any Windoz driver be installed?

maspai
January 17th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hi all. I once installed Windoz wifi driver via ndisgtk (ndiswrapper). Can any other driver be installed this way, too? Eg. Windoz driver for mobile, modem, VGA etc. Thanx for replies.

carl4926
January 17th, 2012, 06:17 AM
No
First determine if you really need to use ndiswrapper, because it's a last resort IMO

adityamagadi
January 17th, 2012, 07:03 AM
you can try using wine to run windows applications ...

MoreOrLess
January 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM
ndiswrapper installs "windoz" xp wireless drivers. That's it. Are you having other issues with a device?

maspai
January 17th, 2012, 08:08 AM
ndiswrapper installs "windoz" xp wireless drivers. That's it. Are you having other issues with a device?

Mostly I don't have internet connection, so I must do everything offline (such as installing drivers etc.), and I have some windoz drivers in my harddisk.

I used ndisgtk to install windoz wifi driver offline when I installed my Lubuntu 10.10 on my Acer Aspire 522 netbook with Broadcom wifi. I had to get the wifi first so then I could install other drivers such as ATI VGA online where I had internet connection.

BTW having Linux on my netbook, I must get connected to internet to install everything :(.

carl4926
January 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Post the result of

lspci -nnk

Mark Phelps
January 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM
First of all, there are no "Windoz" drivers. So -- NO.

Second, the only "Windows" drivers that can be used in Linux are those you have used already -- with NDISwrapper.

And, if anyone tells you to try using Wine -- forget it. Wine can NOT be used to install Windows drivers.