PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Dell Inspiron M5030 Battery Trouble

onilink422
January 16th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Hello, I have what I believe to be a common issue. Whenever I unplug my Laptop from the Charger it warns me that my battery is almost dead and the computer will soon hibernate.
I am running Ubuntu 10.04, and I would appreciate any help.
When I start the system and log into my desktop, I am prompted with a notification that states that my Battery may be old or broken, however I know this must not be the case since my laptop is a little over a year old. I just installed a fresh distro. I had Windows seven and it worked just fine.
Please help!
If you need more information please ask, and I can help you to help me!

carl4926
January 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM
If you run the latest 11.10 live cd
How is it?

onilink422
January 16th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I actually downgraded with from 11.10. I had the same issue with its install. I figure it must be a Kernal issue, but I don't know.

bluexrider
January 16th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Here are some tips and also the use of PowerTop

REF: HERE (http://www.linwik.com/wiki/increasing+battery+life+under+linux)

carl4926
January 16th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Sounds like ACPI issue
How many distros have you tried?
If you add noacpi and or acpi=off to the boot arguments - does it change anything

onilink422
January 16th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Sounds like ACPI issue
How many distros have you tried?

Just two..
Ubuntu 11.10 and Currently 11.04
11.04 being my preference.

If you add noacpi and or acpi=off to the boot arguments - does it change anything

I would try that, but my distro is set to automatically start up.. How would I change this?

carl4926
January 16th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Crumbs...
Is it SHIFT you hold as you boot to get the menu
You can edit from there

onilink422
January 16th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Crumbs...
Is it SHIFT you hold as you boot to get the menu
You can edit from there
Right! okay I disabled the service yet the problem still persists.. If I have to buy a new battery that is fine, but I really doubt that is the issue! :confused:

ecolom1269
May 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Hello fellow m5030 user
I have the same problem well my bat life is about 2.5 hours vs 4.5 hours in windows.
check out this link ..there are lots of things we don't need that can safely be disabled.

http://www.learnosity.com/techblog/index.cfm/2008/3/10/Power-saving-tips-for-Ubuntu-on-laptops

I had a .org link but lost it and was unable to find it in search..well I know the one above is just as good

good luck

ecolom1269
May 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.lesswatts.org/tips/

ahallubuntu
May 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
This thread is a few months old now - but to anyone seeing the same situation as the OP: it IS possible for a laptop battery to die after a year. I had it happen on a Dell laptop a couple of years ago in less than a year: the battery simply failed early (this according to Windows). Dell replaced it under warranty. It happens occasionally.

Sometimes the BIOS has an assessment of the battery's health, and if the BIOS indicates that the battery is failing, clearly it's not an Ubuntu issue.