PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI GFX issues.

pingaan
January 16th, 2012, 05:17 AM
When digging through some old boxes I found my Acer Travelmate 7520 and decided to make use of it, once again!
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 and I had issues with both the wireless and the GFX card.
I've gotten the network sorted but I can't really figure out the GFX. I've installed the latest driver pack (11.12), after doing that the gui reacts better but I still can't run aticonfig in the terminal, it says that there's no present ati card and when checking system info the GFX spot is empty.
I'm sure I can get the laptop to run faster and smoother if I get the GFX card properly installed!

Any ideas?

Regarsa.

Mark Phelps
January 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM
According to Google, that ACER has an ATI X1250 video chipset -- for which AMD/ATI stopped writing Linux drivers years ago.

The drivers available today are the open-source drivers -- which are installed by default.

pingaan
January 16th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Correct, ATI Radeon X1250..
Been coming across many pages/forum threads about ATI/AMD giving up on the old GFX cards.
I found this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver , is this something that I should follow blindly? I'm talking about "Problem: Need to fully remove -fglrx and reinstall -ati from scratch".
I tried doing it actually, I'm still far away from an advanced Debian user, so I might have failed at some point.
After installing this should everything about the GFX card sort itself out? I mean, identifying the card to begin with and choosing the right drivers for it?
Maybe you know of some better guide than this one?

Cheers for taking the time to answer..

pingaan
January 16th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Just to try it out to see where it goes wrong I followed the guide again;
It all goes well up till the last step: sudo apt-get install fglrx-modaliases , I get the message 'E: Package 'fglrx-modaliases' has no installation candidate' and I don't really know if it's necessary or not.
Also when checking what's installed;
[COPIED FROM THE SOURCE]
libgl1-mesa-dri install
libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 install
libgl1-mesa-glx install
libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 install

It only shows the none i386 ones, is that an issue?

Regards.

Mark Phelps
January 17th, 2012, 03:39 PM
That's the right page, but you should be following the instructions in the step below the one you read -- the one dealing with removing fglrx and reinstalling ATI from scratch. That one should work.

pingaan
January 17th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Deleted the post, an edited one is below.

pingaan
January 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM
That is the one guide I've been following, please take a look at post no. 3 in this thread;

Correct, ATI Radeon X1250..
Been coming across many pages/forum threads about ATI/AMD giving up on the old GFX cards.
I found this https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver , is this something that I should follow blindly? I'm talking about "Problem: Need to fully remove -fglrx and reinstall -ati from scratch".
I tried doing it actually, I'm still far away from an advanced Debian user, so I might have failed at some point.
After installing this should everything about the GFX card sort itself out? I mean, identifying the card to begin with and choosing the right drivers for it?
Maybe you know of some better guide than this one?

Cheers for taking the time to answer..

MoreOrLess
January 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Once you have the Catalyst driver removed, you can try the xorg-edgers PPA: https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

That has the latest (and probably best) drivers for your GPU.

pingaan
January 21st, 2012, 10:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the final line be "sudo apt-get install cairo"?
Doesn't work for me.. Added the PPA and did an apt-get update..