PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I need a new hard drive?

TheeCakee
January 14th, 2012, 01:53 AM
So maybe a small background story, yesterday when I was using Windows 7 on my PC I began downloading the Sims 3 from EA's Origin. Suddenly everything started freezing and crashing...then I went through system restore on there -> re-installing windows 7 -> installing Ubuntu.

I was using the CD version for awhile before hand and it was working like a charm :). Then when Ubuntu finally installed on my hard drive, it was practically doing the same thing it had on Windows. Applications were freezing and locking up and taking forever. However, Ubuntu is telling me that my hard drive has "Many Bad Sectors" and it is failing.

Does this require me to buy a new Hard Drive? I have already backed up my important supplies on my USB drive from earlier with windows so that won't be a problem.

I am using Ubuntu 9.10

UltimateCat
January 14th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Iwouldn't purchase a new hard drive just yet.

Can you run your computer in safe mode?

I was in Best Buy yesterday and asked a Geek Squad Rep a question first for my problem.
They may be able to help and the manufacturer may be able to advise you as well.

Don't give up.

UltimateCat
January 14th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Try running your antivirus as well. ( If the system will let you)

Research sectors as well :
http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/data_recovery/bad_sector_on_hard_disk.htm

Home (http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/index.htm) > Data Loss Situation and Recovery > Fixing Bad Sectors on Hard Disk
http://www.datarecovery.com.sg/images/divider.gif
Fixing Bad Sectors On Hard Disk

You could try:

www.ubuntugeek.com

TheeCakee
January 14th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Iwouldn't purchase a new hard drive just yet.

Can you run your computer in safe mode?

I was in Best Buy yesterday and asked a Geek Squad Rep a question first for my problem.
They may be able to help and the manufacturer may be able to advise you as well.

Don't give up.

When I was using Windows 7 earlier, it would not run in Safe Mode...it would get stuck loading up. Not sure if it is the same for Ubuntu now, safe mode with Ubuntu the same as Windows with tapping F8?

Manufacturer wise, the computer was custom made for me by a friend. Unless you are talking about Western Digital or such with the HDD? I'll talk to Geek Squad tomorrow though.

saneearth
January 14th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I would get a diagnostic disk and run not only HD diagnostics, but memory also. I would also avoid the Geek Squad if you are comfortable doing anything at all yourself. Their primary job is to sell you services. You could install a new hard drive and new memory yourself without any diagnostics and still get off cheaper than leaving it with the Geek Squad.

TheeCakee
January 14th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I would get a diagnostic disk and run not only HD diagnostics, but memory also. I would also avoid the Geek Squad if you are comfortable doing anything at all yourself. Their primary job is to sell you services. You could install a new hard drive and new memory yourself without any diagnostics and still get off cheaper than leaving it with the Geek Squad.

Pretty nooby with Ubuntu but how do I run the diagnostic? This program titled SMART was the one telling me my hdd was busted.