PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu, External HDD help

TrashyRambo
January 13th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop, and I can't use my external hard drive. I've downloaded Wine, so .Exe files shouldn't be an isssue, but every time I try to run the software for the external, it says it encountered an unexpected error and had to close. I'm pretty new to Linux.

Basher101
January 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM
wine is not build to run .exe files from an external source. If it is just a standalone application, it will run. If it is an installed (to the hdd) program, it will not run with wine. You will have to install it in wine to get it working.

regards

note: Wine Is Not an Emulator.

TrashyRambo
January 13th, 2012, 11:53 PM
It isn't even software that needs to be installed, I just have to be able to run the unlock prompt thing, which I can't.

Basher101
January 13th, 2012, 11:54 PM
well i dunno what an unlock prompt is so i cannot help you any further at the moment..

madvinegar
January 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
What kind of software are you running for the external drive?

Is it not being detected and mounted automatically?

TrashyRambo
January 13th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Okay. I have to click something called Unlock.exe so that it brings up a thing asking for my password. If I can't run Unlock.exe I can't access the data on my external hard drive.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=440

madvinegar
January 14th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Could you just plug it in in a windows computer and remove this security feature that asks for your password?