PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Touchpad issue

boots.xiv
January 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Hi, I recently dual booted Windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10 on my Dell XPS 14z. This is my very first experience with linux, I'm a complete newb, but so far everything is working great! I do seem to be having one small problem though:

The mouse touchpad is a multi touch, and a two finger drag can be used to scroll. What I've noticed is that sometimes after logging into linux the two finger scroll function works, and sometimes it doesn't. At this point it seems to be random.

Is there a new driver I can install, or some modification I could make?

Thanks for any help and advice.

gordintoronto
January 13th, 2012, 03:15 AM
With rare exceptions, the drivers are built in to Linux, and "just work."

Dell has a forum here, you might ask your question there.

On my HP laptop, the right edge of the touchpad is used for scrolling. Any chance this is also true with your Dell?

boots.xiv
January 13th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks, I will ask this question in the dell forum.

In windows, I can use the right edge of the touchpad, as well as the multi touch method, to scroll, but that does nothing in linux. On the times that the multi touch scroll does not work in linux, the right click menu pops up every time I try.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. I'm not doing anything different from when it does work. Using the multi touch scroll has become such an automatic thing that I'm always surprised when I boot into linux and it doesn't work...and annoyed lol

boots.xiv
January 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Turns out I can change the touchpad settings under system settings. I was able to change it so that I can use the right edge of the touchpad for scrolling. There is a setting for two-finger scrolling, but even if I select that setting it still doesn't work. Don't know what thats about...

gordintoronto
January 15th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Wow, I can use two-finger scrolling on my HP G62! I notice that I have to keep the two fingers a bit apart, but it works just fine.