PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel Core 2 Duo, high processor usage with 11.10

Anuovis
January 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I have noticed that my Dell Inspiron 6400 with Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz has been having troubling CPU loads at times. I do not think this has ever happened prior to Ubuntu 11.10 (or maybe 11.04), at least not this bad. I have 2 GB of RAM.

Some applications on Wine drive the CPU to 100% (worked flawlessly with prior Ubuntus), so did one HD video I was playing on Totem. They started lagging badly. Apart from these, everything seems to be normal but...

Standard definition video playback takes some 10-25%
Firefox can take up to 30% or 40%, especially when streaming videos and such
Is this normal?

I found some information about power regression bugs in the newer kernels and my processor seems to be on the list. But they are talking about overheating and battery life mostly. Could my problems be related?
I have tried default Unity, Unity 2D and Gnome 3 with the Wine app and they all give the same result. Must be something with the kernel, right?

Is this something I should be worried about? I am mainly concerned about damaging my hardware in any way. Would not mind downgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 or waiting a bit till 12.04 if they are likely to fix this.