PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] When I unplug my laptop it just cuts off

zccrx91
January 12th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I have HP laptop i cant remember how to find the specifics, but anyway i am running 10.04 lts and everything is working fine but when you unplug the charger it just cuts of and according to the battery meter its fully charged any help would be great.

adityamagadi
January 12th, 2012, 04:48 AM
r u sure that ur battery isnt broken?
if it isnt flashing and upgrading ur bios shud fix this issue.
download the latest bios from ur laptop vendors website n install it.
beware upgrading to a faulty bios may cos hardware failue so select the rite one.

zccrx91
January 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I have never done that and i am not sure on exactly how to do so.

zccrx91
January 12th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Also sometimes it shows up on the launch pad and some times it doesn't

adityamagadi
January 12th, 2012, 05:13 AM
wat is ur laptop/desktop specifications??
just go to the HP website in the download tab u ll find ur bios.
if u r having windows on the same machine just download it u ll get a exe file run it.

CharlesA
January 12th, 2012, 05:15 AM
wat is ur laptop/desktop specifications??
just go to the HP website in the download tab u ll find ur bios.
if u r having windows on the same machine just download it u ll get a exe file run it.

Please post in English instead of "text speak."

@OP: It sounds like the battery is shot, I doubt a BIOS upgrade would fix it. Get in contact with HP and see if they can help you troubleshoot it.

adityamagadi
January 12th, 2012, 12:37 PM
@charles A:i had the same problem on my acer laptop upgrading my BIOS fixed the isssue.

zccrx91
January 13th, 2012, 02:05 AM
It worked fine when it had windows vista on it but i deleted that and installed full version ubuntu 10.04 lts

adityamagadi
January 13th, 2012, 06:04 AM
ubuntu 11.04 is way more evolved than vista.

sammiev
January 13th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Can you boot in to the bios when on battery and stay in there for a long period of time? Then reboot and try to load Linux and see what happens. It maybe just a bios update you need.

adityamagadi
January 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
@sammiev:bios update will definitely fix the issue. i think he's new to do the bios gig yet.

zccrx91
January 14th, 2012, 01:51 AM
If i unplug it from the charger it cuts off and will not come back on untill the plug is back in it.

adityamagadi
January 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
for your problem updating your bios is definiteely worth a try ....

WinuxUser
January 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
@OP : I had a same scenario few months ago. Except that i had a dual boot on my machine, and that windows would run on laptop backup for long period of time than ubuntu. But then, slowly my battery degraded and i had to change it with a new one. Guess your battery is old now.

If u don't wanna change ur battery, try to reboot to your BIOS once(with adapter plugged on.), Its not to change your settings,but to see if your battery isn't compatible with ubuntu. Unplug while u are in BIOS and see if your laptop can still hold on. If it doesn't, well its time for u to get another battery.

Regards,WinuxUser

zccrx91
January 15th, 2012, 02:43 AM
Thanks, i think the battery is shot i went in the bios and unplugged the computer and it just cut off

CharlesA
January 15th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Thanks, i think the battery is shot i went in the bios and unplugged the computer and it just cut off
Yep, time for a new battery.

sammiev
January 15th, 2012, 03:02 AM

That's why I asked you to test it in the bios first as if it worked there, then only a bios update would be required.

WinuxUser
January 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM
@OP: Its better u mark a thread as [SOLVED] if your questions were answered. :D