PDA

View Full Version : THIS is what Ubuntu's top panel should look like

jermza
January 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NbOS0.png
It should be transparent like that. Not the solid colour that it is. (Yes, I know that Compiz can adjust it, but there is a shadow left behind.)

Basher101
January 6th, 2012, 04:54 PM
i agree on the shadow, you should be able to customize it easier without having to read into tons of instructions..

Grenage
January 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM
While it does look nice; I imagine that many prefer a solid colour, and clearly-defined border.

2F4U
January 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM
+1

I certainly belong to those preferring a solid colour.

thvan
January 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Why all the bells and whistles?
You use a computer to do work, play games etc.. Not look at fancy top panels?
Stock [boring] top panel for me :-)

Looks nice, though!

Basher101
January 7th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Looks nice, though!

i like the default panel too, but as i said in my previous post you should be able to customize it easier without having to follow very long tutorials..

whatthefunk
January 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The fact that this thread even exists points to a very serious problem in Ubuntu. In Kubuntu, or just about any other Linux OS, you can do what ever the h*** you want with your panel. Mines on the bottom and transparent at the moment but I can change it in about 30 seconds to whatever I want.

QIII
January 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM
No matter what is used as the default, some will be happy and some will be unhappy.

In a group of people as diverse (in their desire for customization) as those of us in the Linux camp, I'd say the number of people who like a default will be greatly outnumbered by those who don't.

You find what you presented to have a pleasing aesthetic. To the next guy it may be something he will curse about while he is customizing away from that look.

As far as the difficulty in customizing the Unity DE (which allows little customizing because it is a step away from the desktop toward the low-power/high-efficiency tablets that will come), I have this to say:

You are effectively customizing your DE to your liking when you add another DE (say KDE) and use it. Or download the KDE spin from Kubuntu.org to begin with. Remember, it's Kubuntu.

Don't like Unity because you have less ability to customize it? Use a different DE. The Ubuntu Police will not crash your door down and arrest you.

Basher101
January 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM
The fact that this thread even exists points to a very serious problem in Ubuntu. In Kubuntu, or just about any other Linux OS, you can do what ever the h*** you want with your panel. Mines on the bottom and transparent at the moment but I can change it in about 30 seconds to whatever I want.

this is exactly what i am talking about, sure some will like the default, but you should have the option to change it within a few seconds to whatever you like..

Simian Man
January 7th, 2012, 07:26 PM

+1. Anyone who cares about customization should be using KDE.

Basher101
January 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM

anyone who cares should use linux :D:popcorn:

whatthefunk
January 7th, 2012, 07:30 PM
anyone who cares should use linux :D:popcorn:

Right. Any DE I can think of allows a pretty high level of customization. Even LXDE, which is a lightweight, minimalist DE, does a very good job at offering customization options within its limits. Unity on the other hand........

jermza
January 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Why all the bells and whistles? Well, do you drive a car because it's a vehicle whose only purpose is to transport you from A to B? Or do you like air-con and electric windows? Maybe airbags too. Oh, and a MP3 player rather than a tape deck or nothing at all (because, after all, a car's purpose is to transport you and nothing else, right)? In fact, why customise anything for a pleasing experience?

You make a good point.

asadullah
January 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM
@jermza
I like your panel . I'm in the process of making an android ics theme for ubuntu that I'm hopefully gonna be able to turn into an app and release in the software center.

@everyone who reads this
here we go with another discussion about who's right. Really I think I'm right here's my opinion:
It should be an easy option natively encoded into an ubuntu release to allow the end user to change panel settings as well as dock settings.

Ease of use is the only way that people are going to come to ubuntu in masses*. It should be easier to do something in ubuntu then in windows 7 flat out. Look around you the majority of people don't like to take risks or spend alot of time on their computer trying to figure it out. I know alot of people who only use a computer to access the web they change a wallpaper and the panel color and that's it.
Facebook** here they come :D

People are mad cuz they were taken from. Someone at ubuntu (we'll call this someone mark) Mark decided, 'hey this is how your desktop is gonna look like for now on, You've got other options but they won't work well with our O.S or are no longer supported.'
Also theming options but the very basics were removed change your wallpaper and have a black or white panel. i'm done

* There's also the possibility that everyone will decide that ubuntu is a good place to compile source code and decide that it's here that they want to be

** I am not affiliated with facebook in any way nor like it

thvan
January 11th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Why all the bells and whistles? Well, do you drive a car because it's a vehicle whose only purpose is to transport you from A to B? Or do you like air-con and electric windows? Maybe airbags too. Oh, and a MP3 player rather than a tape deck or nothing at all (because, after all, a car's purpose is to transport you and nothing else, right)? In fact, why customise anything for a pleasing experience?

You make a good point.

False syllogism, and I hate car comparisons too.. Flame me!
I was talking pure aesthetics/graphics, not features.
According to you, I postulated, that I won't be needing anything but the computing power of a PC. All I wrote was, that I don't understand the whole customization subject (bells and whistles) and that I prefer the stock panel.

But hey, I can see why you felt offended....

jermza
January 11th, 2012, 08:52 PM
False syllogism, and I hate car comparisons too.. Flame me!
I was talking pure aesthetics/graphics, not features.

That's just word play.

Feature: "A distinctive attribute or aspect of something."

I'd argue that bells and whistles (like Ubuntu's orange left-aligned menu buttons) ARE features. Thus, features - aesthetic or otherwise - enhance (or, generally should enhance) the experience.

And it's subjective anyway. But the point is that, while I understand (and largely agree) with Canonical's lock-down of Ubuntu (because it will benefit the brand), some minor aesthetic adjustments would be nice. To me, a transparent panel seems a bit more modern, and it makes the screen appear larger.

GraeW
January 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Any one of the desktop options (Gnome/Unity, KDE, LXDE/Lubuntu, XFCE/Xubuntu) makes for fine customizations if you want to take the time to learn. Each has its own learning curve - and many feel that curve should be equal no matter which environment you choose. Personally, I like XFCE since it offers enough customization for what I desire, and not the "higher learning curve" of Gnome/Unity/Compiz that many seem to dislike. But then, I also enjoyed WindowMaker back in the day ;)

As tpam said, "...Canonical's lock-down of Ubuntu (because it will benefit the brand)..." is exactly why they have been doing what they have with Unity - but they also have offered the "minor aesthetic adjustments" by supporting the *ubuntu versions (K, L, X, Myth, Studio, etc). I agree it is understandable and agree with most of what they have done so far, which is why I am still running a core Ubuntu with XFCE.

thvan
January 12th, 2012, 07:31 PM
That's just word play.

Feature: "A distinctive attribute or aspect of something."

I'd argue that bells and whistles (like Ubuntu's orange left-aligned menu buttons) ARE features. Thus, features - aesthetic or otherwise - enhance (or, generally should enhance) the experience.

And it's subjective anyway. But the point is that, while I understand (and largely agree) with Canonical's lock-down of Ubuntu (because it will benefit the brand), some minor aesthetic adjustments would be nice. To me, a transparent panel seems a bit more modern, and it makes the screen appear larger.

Not really.. I'm arguing tinted windows, spinners and dice in the mirror are "bells and whistles" (customization) - You claim I said comfort (or GUI, mouse and colors)...
I did actually finish my original post by saying, that it looks nice.
But I can agree on the last part: It IS subjective. My to cent, however, didn't seem welcome.

GangrN
January 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM

*frowns*
I thought Linux was about freedom for the user, and at least had something to deal with. It's part of the reason why I dropped W$.

Though, Unity is not as free as Gnome was (you should not have to deal with plugins to simply change, say, your default icons). I like the launcher and it's a great thing, but if I don't give up unity, it is only because I hope that it will become more mature and will allow more customization without tons of more-or-less stable plugins, and not trying to impose arbitrary aesthetical restrictions on MY desktop.

But, if things run this way, I will reconsider migrating to KDE, even if it means losing the launcher thing :-/

(as for a default look of the desktop... who cares if you can tweak it).