PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Brand new

Bruzer39
January 6th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I have no clue what I am doing here. I am loving the feel of Ubuntu so far. I am using it because my cursor no longer works on my Microsoft Vista.

I have no clue how to tell what version of Ubuntu I am running.
I am trying to install programs from my new smartphone from a cd and I am trying to get past the "not exectuable" error, but the .exe program is read-only and I cannot change it. I have been here in the forums trying to figure out what to do, but I don't even know what a terminal is or what the command line is. I need to start from the absolute beginning, obviously.
HELP!:)

KdotJ
January 6th, 2012, 02:25 AM
OK, hello and welcome to the forums.

Number one lesson, Ubuntu is not Windows. Your familiar .exe files will not work on Ubuntu and the way we deal with programs and packages is totally different.

Ubuntu will seem confusing, but if you stick at it you will get the hang of it.

For now, I recommend you take a look at the beginners guidance HERE (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/FAQ).

Enjoy

Basher101
January 6th, 2012, 02:28 AM
hi and welcome to the vast and vibrant world of free open source software! make yourself at home.

Did you even install ubuntu or are you just using the Live CD sessions? (thus you boot from the CD and click "try ubuntu")

a terminal is where you can type commands. You open a terminal by either pressing ctrl + alt + t, or you can hit your windows key and type in the search bar "terminal" and click on the icon that appears. Once you obened your terminal, type the command
lsb_release -a to see what version you use.

note: you can only paste into the terminal with ctrl + shift + v, unlike the default ctrl + v.

Bruzer39
January 6th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Hi there and thanks for your reply. No, I'm not using a cd, I have Ubuntu installed. When I start up the computer I choose Ubuntu instead of Windows. Thanks for the link.

KdotJ
January 6th, 2012, 03:03 AM
You're welcome. Also, these forums are a great help for when you have issues with stuff (which hopefully isn't too often). Googling problems normally comes back with lots of helpful information too.

Have fun with it

grahammechanical
January 6th, 2012, 04:45 AM
When I boot just before the loading process gets to the log in screen I sometimes see a screen that has the word Ubuntu and some numbers. When I shutdown I always get a screen with the word Ubuntu and some numbers. Do you not see any of that?

When you installed did you not see anything that mentioned the version of Ubuntu being installed? Strange!

That menu that you use to select either to boot into Windows or Ubuntu will most definitely give you some indication of the version of Ubuntu that you are using.

So, I just have to agree with you. You haven't got a clue. You said it. To tell you the truth, I do not have a clue about your situation either. Not enough information.

P.S. It would also help if you gave us the instructions that came with this new smart phone on how to install programs on it. It may help someone advise you on how to do it using a Ubuntu computer.

Regards.