PDA

View Full Version : Good alternative to Adobe Flash for Ubuntu

DS McGuire
January 5th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I am starting to use flash again at college and I would love to do some more at home but I can't find a good open source alternative for Ubuntu [11.10].

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Buntumatic
January 5th, 2012, 01:33 AM
gnash ?

DS McGuire
January 5th, 2012, 01:35 AM
gnash ?

Thanks, but it doesn't seem to be very equipped like Flash... If I can't find anything else I will use that, thanks :)

prokoudine
January 5th, 2012, 02:48 AM
I am starting to use flash again at college and I would love to do some more at home but I can't find a good open source alternative for Ubuntu [11.10].

If you need Flash in the output, there is no open source alternative, and they way things are going there will never be one.

For 2D vector animation you can use Synfig and Tupi (free/open source) or Anime Studio (non-free, closed source).

DS McGuire
January 5th, 2012, 03:09 AM
If you need Flash in the output, there is no open source alternative, and they way things are going there will never be one.

For 2D vector animation you can use Synfig and Tupi (free/open source) or Anime Studio (non-free, closed source).

Well that's a shame :( I tried to install other Adobe products (Photoshop) using WINE but it never got past beginning to install it.

Thanks for the advice though :)

BcRich
January 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Hi DS McGuire
like prokoudine said there's no open source package to replace flash, I now use processing.org to create java applications instead of flash applications. The API has many similarities to actionscript and I prefer it to Flashes limited deployment options as processing apps compile to java, javascript or android apps. However, if you were using flash for it's animation tools synfig or ktoon might be your best bet.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention motiontwin http://www.mtasc.org/ which is open source actionscript 2 compiler

DS McGuire
January 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Hi DS McGuire
like prokoudine said there's no open source package to replace flash, I now use processing.org to create java applications instead of flash applications. The API has many similarities to actionscript and I prefer it to Flashes limited deployment options as processing apps compile to java, javascript or android apps. However, if you were using flash for it's animation tools synfig or ktoon might be your best bet.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention motiontwin http://www.mtasc.org/ which is open source actionscript 2 compiler
Thanks for your response BcRich :)

I will take a look at ktoon and motiontwin as I am really eager to find something to replace flash on Ubuntu :)

Ryupower
January 23rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
This has been a problem for me as well. I use flash primarily for web design and UI design, rather than animation. Synfig and Ktoon are cool, but it seems to be catered towards 2D animation rather than Design. I've heard that Synfig might have ActionScript support, but don't really know about that. Unfortunately, it's one of the major reasons I can't switch 100% to linux yet. :/

lordbrayam
January 24th, 2012, 01:25 AM
You Tried FL4 seems a very good alternative, maybe try it serve you