PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dragging URL's causes Unity to briefly lag

coversnail
January 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm using Firefox as my browser and sometimes it is useful to drag an URL on a page either to the address bar or a search box. But whenever I drag URL's the Unity launcher will appear at the side of the screen with some of the icons darkened. I gather this is to show which icons I could drag this URL to on the launcher.

Though a useful feature the problem for me is that it causes often causes a slight lag whilst the system brings up the Unity launcher etc, which is a pain when I just want to drag the URL within Firefox (because the URL can't be 'dropped' until Unity has sorted itself out, and it seems silly to have to wait what can be a second or two) . Is there anyway you can disable this feature of Unity so it doesn't take any notice of my URL dragging?

Thanks for the time if anyone is able to help, sorry if this is already somewhere else (I did search) or a bit of a silly question:P

EDIT to add: I'm using Ubuntu 11.10

larrypg
January 4th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hello,

I am sure you already know it but...you can always highlight the url and choose copy and then paste the url to the search bar etc.

mc4man
January 5th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I did once put in a request via a bug report to make this a user option vs. default non-configurable.

While it wasn't directly shot down, (invalid or won't fix), might as well of been. (pushed to Design which will just ignore.

So the odds are it's going to stay as is.

coversnail
January 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the replies

Hello,

I am sure you already know it but...you can always highlight the url and choose copy and then paste the url to the search bar etc.
Thank you, yes I did know this, it's just dragging is quicker and more convenient in most circumstances

I did once put in a request via a bug report to make this a user option vs. default non-configurable.

While it wasn't directly shot down, (invalid or won't fix), might as well of been. (pushed to Design which will just ignore.

So the odds are it's going to stay as is.

Bummer