PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] broken kernels

degarb
January 2nd, 2012, 01:28 AM
I made the mistake of upgrading the ubuntu, my browser froze up and locked up the system. I had to hit the power button. Now none of the kernels will boot except the oldest and 4 kernels back. I am getting kernel panick on most of these.

How do you repair the kernel.

I think I scheduled a scan on next boot, but cannot tell or recall, because the code was so cryptic.

degarb
January 2nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
I googled removing kernels, removed all but the oldest, only working kernel. on deleting the latest kernel, it auto installed the latest kernel (newer than the kernel after the upgrade. ) Each kernel was taking up about 90 megs. So I ended up gaining about 200 megs of space. The one it chose boots, leaving me two working kernels.

I really don't think the chkdsk worked. But Then i don't think it has any screen.

I am fairly certain my browser installation got damaged, had to reinstall it.

lolpenguin
January 2nd, 2012, 03:32 AM
Boot into a working kernel, then reinstall the broken kernels:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall linux-headers-x.x.x-x linux-headers-x.x.x-x-generic linux-image-x.x.x-x-generic
I got ninja'ed!^^^

LinuxCharms
January 2nd, 2012, 03:33 AM
Unless someone else has a better idea, I'd back up any files you want to keep (if you can get into a terminal manually) and grab a new Ubuntu CD to boot up from.

bodhi.zazen
January 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM
Upgrades can always go bad. I can not tell what the problem is from your post, but I would back up your data and do a fresh install.