PDA

View Full Version : Promotions

HalfAnAndroid
December 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM
As a 12 year old, I want to promote Ubuntu with children. I love Linux, and can't show enough disrespect for Apple. Windows has screwed my hard disk 3 times now, and Mac is too uncustomisable and expensive. I want to promote Ubuntu, so I have decided to give out free live CDs to everyone in my school. I will start with Kubuntu, because it more user friendly, and explain how it can't run at full speed. My parents both run Windows, which I hate. I prefer Linux, and I think a lot of people who have never heard of it will like it too. If I have posted in the wrong place, please move it to the right one.

sammiev
December 27th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Good luck and thanks for supporting Linux. :)

oldos2er
December 28th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

When you use derogatory terms like "Windblows" it says nothing about Windows, but it does say something about you. Promote Linux by all means, but don't promote it by being negative about its alternatives.

Good luck.

LowSky
December 28th, 2011, 04:30 AM
As a 12 year old, I want to promote Ubuntu with children. I love Linux, and can't show enough disrespect for Apple. Windows has screwed my hard disk 3 times now, and Mac is too uncustomisable and expensive. I want to promote Ubuntu, so I have decided to give out free live CDs to everyone in my school. I will start with Kubuntu, because it more user friendly, and explain how it can't run at full speed. My parents both run Windows, which I hate. I prefer Linux, and I think a lot of people who have never heard of it will like it too. If I have posted in the wrong place, please move it to the right one.

As a 12 year old you should promote your own education. Windows just doesn't mess up a hard drive. Hard drives go bad from hardware failures and operator error. Windows 7 as a OS is pretty stable. I have 3 PC surrounding me at the moment that run it just fine since, and one from the RC days. Windows doesn't end up corrupt unless the user installs malicious applications or doesn't run proper antivirus scans and so on.

I work fixing computers, and when I have client show me an issue nine times out of ten it's their fault not the machine. I remember being twelve and having Windows 3.11 and how quickly my own supposed amazing ability could screw a computer into oblivion. I learned the more I try to tweak the easier I could break stuff. Surprise, right!

Nowadays I research things before I even do them. I make sure way I install or tweak will work, and if it doesn't how to fix it as quickly as possible.

DangerOnTheRanger
December 28th, 2011, 04:47 AM
As a 12 year old you should promote your own education. Windows just doesn't mess up a hard drive. Hard drives go bad from hardware failures and operator error. Windows 7 as a OS is pretty stable. I have 3 PC surrounding me at the moment that run it just fine since, and one from the RC days. Windows doesn't end up corrupt unless the user installs malicious applications or doesn't run proper antivirus scans and so on.

I work fixing computers, and when I have client show me an issue nine times out of ten it's their fault not the machine. I remember being twelve and having Windows 3.11 and how quickly my own supposed amazing ability could screw a computer into oblivion. I learned the more I try to tweak the easier I could break stuff. Surprise, right!

Nowadays I research things before I even do them. I make sure way I install or tweak will work, and if it doesn't how to fix it as quickly as possible.

I actually agree with most of this post - when Windows 7 breaks, it's usually the user's fault (XP and Vista are somewhat different). However, when Windows breaks, there's normally little the end-user can do about it, whereas Linux can be fixed by the end-user normally quite easily.

Basically, my opinion on the subject is this: Promote Linux whenever possible, but don't do it by insulting other OSes. Pointing out flaws other OSes have (like Window's security problems) is fine, but don't name-call or make pointless accusations - that just makes you look bad.

IWantFroyo
December 28th, 2011, 05:18 AM

You have a lot more sense than I did when I was twelve.

Don't you have to be 13 to be a member here? Oh well, when have I ever followed age guidelines? (*cough* Never. -Sssh-)

You may want to try giving out several different Ubuntu flavours, and show screenshots to people. If you can take a Ubuntu-loaded laptop to school and show it off to some people, that would also be a big plus.

3rdalbum
December 28th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I want to promote Ubuntu, so I have decided to give out free live CDs to everyone in my school.

The "scattergun" approach doesn't really work - most people will have no idea how to use the CD or will not be interested, and will simply throw it away.

Seek out the most receptive people and give them CDs.

I will start with Kubuntu, because it more user friendly

Trolling much?

Kubuntu is more similar to Windows in terms of user interface. I wouldn't say it's "more user friendly", it's just more similar to what people are used to. The downside is that people might think of Kubuntu as "a rip-off of Windows" and compare it unfavorably.

stalkingwolf
December 28th, 2011, 05:02 PM
You also have the blindered parent factor to deal with. And those that believe anything free has to be malware.

I know of a 9 year old young man, very smart. His parents are seperated and divorcing.
When i met him he was living with his mother and had his own computer. I sent him a Qimo disk , he loved the Math games and an edubuntu disk. At that time his favorite "game was the Qimo games.

Due to a medical emergency he is now with his male parent. He isnt allowed to go near the computer, but can play WII all he wants.

Go Figure.

Lars Noodén
December 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Try to arrange for opportunities for people to actually use Ubuntu. Most people don't get it until they really sit down and give it a try. Until then they think that all systems suck as badly as Windows does. Get them over that hump and they may actually ask for a CD.

V for Vincent
December 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Get over the MS/Apple hating. All major operating systems are at a similar level in terms of technical sophistication. If you put other operating systems down and people you talk to start having technical issues with Ubuntu (which will happen, whether because of limited vendor support, because it's easy to install software which isn't stable yet, or because of plain old bugs), they'll think you're deluded. Besides, competition is good. It inspires the open source community to come up with new software to match that written for proprietary systems.

So don't stress what's wrong with other operating systems. Someone else either already knows or doesn't care. Instead, show people what you can do with Ubuntu. For instance, it has tons of great free programs you can find almost effortlessly. It has a large, friendly community. Code you can study at your own leisure. Support for older hardware. The ability to customize. Powerful scripting possibilities. I'm sure you can come up with more.