PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia Proprietary Drivers Colors too dark on TV

rogeriovinhal
December 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Hello, I recently bought a 40 inch Samsung LED TV and connected my computer to it via an DVI-D - HDMI cable, but different from the Windows drivers, the TV colors are very vivid, but they are also very dark. In dark scenes often you can't see a thing.

After playing with the Nvidia settings, I found out that if I put the RGB colors to "limited" instead of "full" or chose the different color setting (Ypr-something) the colors wouldn't be that dark anymore, but wouldn't be so vivid either.

How can I make the colors keep their quality and not get so dark? If Windows drivers does it, it should be perfectly possible. The nvidia settings doesn't leave a lot of space for customization and the generic Ubuntu tool for managing monitors doesn't work at all with it.

Did anyone go through something similar and found a solution?

rubylaser
December 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
On a TV, you need to use limited dynamic range (16-235). I don't like the word "vivid" as the normally means inaccurate image reproduction. Once, you have the dynamic range at the proper level, you'll want to calibrate your TV (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496) to get an accurate image on your screen.