PDA

View Full Version : Which is better? Gnome-Shell or Gnome 3?

TheNerdAL
December 27th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm looking for new themes, but the good ones are for Gnome 3 or Gnome-Shell. None of them are with Unity, should I just remove Unity?

wolfen69
December 27th, 2011, 07:19 AM
You don't have to remove unity, just install gnome shell.

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
just log out after installing and switch to gnome session.

gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-system-tools are must have for gnome 3. Btw, gnome shell is gnome 3 with a "shell" on top.

TheNerdAL
December 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
You don't have to remove unity, just install gnome shell.

sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
just log out after installing and switch to gnome session.

gnome-tweak-tool and gnome-system-tools are must have for gnome 3. Btw, gnome shell is gnome 3 with a "shell" on top.

I'm confused, Gnome Shell is Gnome 3? O.o I'm trying to get my desktop to look like this: http://uppix.net/c/b/f/6c0b2cbe2c429210b5039082bfff3.png

And I have no idea what that is. xD

Ctrl-Alt-F1
December 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Gnome shell is a shell for Gnome 3. Unity is Canonical's answer to Gnome Shell, it is in the form of a compiz plugin. Both run on gnome 3.

So...yes usually when you use Gnome 3 you are also using Gnome-Shell, but not with Ubuntu.

wolfen69
December 27th, 2011, 07:49 AM
That pic could be a tweaked gnome shell.

I attached a pic of mine for reference. It's just gnome shell with a couple extensions.

TheNerdAL
December 27th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Alright, I'm going to try Gnome 3 with the Shell on top. :P Hopefully I like it.

TheNerdAL
December 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Turns out Ubuntu 11.10 came with Gnome 3.0 already. :D I kinda don't like it though. Only problem is that there's now two bars on top one for chrome and one for Gnome. :(

cariboo
December 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Turns out Ubuntu 11.10 came with Gnome 3.0 already. :D I kinda don't like it though. Only problem is that there's now two bars on top one for chrome and one for Gnome. :(

Unity and gnome-shell run on top of gnome 3 (GTK-3). Your screenshot looks like a modified gnome-classic. You can install gnome classic using your favorite method for installing packages, the package name is gnome-session-fallback.

There is a good article in this months Full Circle Magazine (http://fullcirclemagazine.org/), by one of our members on customizing it.

shuttleworthwannabe
December 27th, 2011, 09:16 PM
@Op--why not install Pinguy OS 11.10 beta--you will get Gnome 3.2 with Gnome Shell in its full glory, just ready prepared for you. Give it a try.

Copper Bezel
December 27th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I haven't had any real problems with Gnome Shell on Ubuntu. nm-applet and notify-osd are redundant (and will start under Gnome Shell) but don't cause any real problems (and can be disabled anyway.)