PDA

View Full Version : What's on your Holiday Menu?

inobe
December 22nd, 2011, 03:52 AM
i decided on a spiral ham instead of a turkey for a protein.

sides of fresh string beans, corn, black beans and cilantro, mashed potatoes for fiber.

a dessert choice of chocolate fudge butter creme cake, or lemon meringue pie for sugar intake.

KiwiNZ
December 22nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
Turkey ( in lieu of Goose) Roast potatoes, various Veges

Also making sure Nisse does not get me.

szymon_g
December 22nd, 2011, 04:47 AM
tasty carp
http://www.mycitycuisine.org/images/www.mycitycuisine.org/f/f7/Fried_Carp%2C_Poland.jpg

and bigos (cabbage + meats + mushrooms) http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lGvG20LdQ8s/TiO35c28c8I/AAAAAAAAES4/gGc4Tvt1puA/s1600/bigoss.jpg

that's my meal, on christmas eve. on christmas day, i'll dine with my girlfriend and we will eat turkey :)

lisati
December 22nd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Roast chicken for us on Sunday, together with roast potatoes, parsnips and other veges.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
December 22nd, 2011, 07:26 AM
For Christmas, it has got to be ham and potatoes au gratin. Love it.

mips
December 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
Gammon, leg of lamb, turkey, roast potatoes, salads etc.

Paqman
December 22nd, 2011, 07:56 AM
Um, everything probably.

Frak
December 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Fried chicken, fried okra, mashed potatoes, green beans, black eyed peas, mac 'n' cheese, fudge, apple pie, Sam Adams, Jack Daniels, and good 'ole eggnog.

A very southern Christmas.

t0p
December 22nd, 2011, 12:39 PM
I've been invited to a friend's for xmas, nd I believe the repast will be either a multi-bird roast (like a sparrow in a partridge in a duck in a chicken in a turkey in a goose in a pteradactyl kinda thing) or a chunk of roasted cow. Along with roasties and seasonal vegetables. Plus xmas pud burning in brandy, mice pies (probably not a typo) and vodka in huge quantities (Moscow mules, yum. Screwdrivers, yum. Whatever else gets poured in my direction, yum). Xmas is just (another) excuse to eat and drink to excess (again). I <3 excuses!!

Docaltmed
December 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Latkes!

linux_tech
December 22nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
This year I think I'll have either roast quail or make a wild game soup.

stalkingwolf
December 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM
mice pies i hope you meant mince, mice are a bit stringy in pies.
We are having Turkey, garlic mashed potatoes, not sure on the veggies, yorkshire pudding, sweet potato pie, a cherry upside down cake i think,
homemade dressing and gravy.

Oh yeah and a nap later.

forrestcupp
December 22nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
Ham, undercooked turkey, mashed potatoes, noodles, green beans, a box cherry cheesecake mix.

tasty carp You don't hear the words "tasty" and "carp" in the same sentence very often. Hopefully English carp are a lot different than American ones. ;)

i hope you meant mince, mice are a bit stringy in pies.
They're pretty greasy, too. :)

szymon_g
December 22nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Ham, undercooked turkey, mashed
You don't hear the words "tasty" and "carp" in the same sentence very often. Hopefully English carp are a lot different than American ones. ;)

well... to my knowledge, the most "popular" carp specie in USA is so-called "silver carp" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfG4vsJ5_xI which isn't really good /so i heard/... the carp i cut few hours ago is a mirror carp (aka king carp http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Cyprinus_carpio-King_Carp.jpg - they are kept in UK mostly for "sport", they aren't recognised as edible fish. but, i wasn't born in UK, and in the country that i originated from, carps are traditional christmas meal /like turkey here/.
btw, for "clean" the meat from it's muddy taste /if carp was kept in muddy water and/or its big/ it's good to cover it's meat in kefir /basically: fermented milk/ overnight in a fridge... it usually helps /although it won't make any miracles: that's why you should usually choose rather small carp /no more than 2 kg ~4.5 lbs/.
if in doubts, you can always find someone from central/eastern europe and ask about it /maybe get a bit for free?/ :)

/// edit
after a bit of googling, i've found a solution for silver carp edibility: you have to eat no longer than 1 hour after it's killed. freezing etc won't help
those fishes are vermins even in Europe o.O

mips
December 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
You don't hear the words "tasty" and "carp" in the same sentence very often. Hopefully English carp are a lot different than American ones. ;))

I think "carp" is pretty much "carp" wherever you go.

Maybe it's one of those English traditional things and got used to unlike the rest of us that consider it horrible tasting.

I don't like most freshwater fish I have ever tasted with the exception of salmon but then again it's not strictly a freshwater species being anadromous.

Elfy
December 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Maybe it's one of those English traditional things and got used to unlike the rest of us that consider it horrible tasting. No it's not :)

Horrid stuff :p

they are kept in UK mostly for "sport", they aren't recognised as edible fish. but, i wasn't born in UK, and in the country that i originated from, carps are traditional christmas meal /like turkey here/.I'd take a stab at guessing this user comes from somewhere else in Europe.

I'm looking forward to some goose myself.

forrestcupp
December 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
btw, for "clean" the meat from it's muddy taste /if carp was kept in muddy water and/or its big/ it's good to cover it's meat in kefir /basically: fermented milk/ overnight in a fridge...

/// edit
after a bit of googling, i've found a solution for silver carp edibility: you have to eat no longer than 1 hour after it's killed. freezing etc won't help
those fishes are vermins even in Europe o.OSounds to me like your kind of carp is just as nasty as ours, but it's just something you're used to. :)

When people eat carp here, they have to make sure to cut out something called the "mud vein". Even then, it's barely edible, and most people just stay away from them. The only reason people catch them is because they're one of the easiest fish to catch next to blue gill.

I don't like most freshwater fish I have ever tasted with the exception of salmon but then again it's not strictly a freshwater species being anadromous.I like fried catfish sometimes. I also like Northern Pike. Walleye is decent. But I do like saltwater fish better. I'm not huge on seafood, though. My favorites are probably cod, whitefish, and flounder.

szymon_g
December 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
I'd take a stab at guessing this user comes from somewhere else in Europe.

indeed :)

and for clarification: the carp that i'm going to fry /tomorrow :P/ is a mirror carp /i've linked photo of it here before/- not a "silver carp" /aka "asian carp"/.
and it's not that bad either- as long as it's young.
but, well, most old freshwater fishes aren't really tasty :/

merry christmas everyone!

Frogs Hair
December 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Today is Dads birthday so shrimp creole is on the menu . On the 24th I will preparing my homemade spaghetti and meatballs . On Christmas day it could be soylent green . :P

mips
December 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
Sounds to me like your kind of carp is just as nasty as ours, but it's just something you're used to. :)

I like fried catfish sometimes. I also like Northern Pike. Walleye is decent. But I do like saltwater fish better. I'm not huge on seafood, though. My favorites are probably cod, whitefish, and flounder.

Carp is revolting.

The best fish I have ever had is what we call Slingers down here. They're not that big but on the braai (BBQ) they are divine, it's mostly a deep (100m+) species.
http://kznfishing.co.za/fish-species/1106-slinger-chrysoblephus-puniceus-.html

I baste them with a apricot jam, garlic, black pepper, garlic butter, herb concoction I do and it tastes like food of the gods.

http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/backend/media/879/sixfour_slinger.jpg

Linuxratty
December 23rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
I'm looking forward to some goose myself.

GOOSE! My favorite!Not had it in years. Can't get it around here.:( My fav. fish is croppy or salmon.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 23rd, 2011, 10:56 PM
I am prepared for about 14 people.

What I am cooking:

turkey
home made cornbread dressing
American biscuits :)
gravy
jell-o cottage cheese salad

What others will bring:

pea salad
green bean salad
potato salad
chef's salad
pies
home made cookies
beverages
etc.

Of course, grandpa will be available to fix computers, have a widescreen TV, and high-speed internet for everyone to use.

odiseo77
December 24th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Basically, this is what we eat in christmas here:

http://images03.olx.com.ve/ui/1/36/47/14822947_1.jpg

It's called hallaca and it's accompanied with wine, chicken salad and a delicious ham bread that looks like this:

http://images03.olx.es/ui/9/69/76/1291052246_142566376_1-Fotos-de--EXQUISITAS-HALLACAS-VENEZOLANAS-EN-PAMPLONA-1291052246.jpg

Now I'm hungry :p

Lars Noodén
December 24th, 2011, 05:56 PM
1. Coffee with saffron rolls

2. Rice porrige with fruit sauce
Slow-baked ham with mustard
"julmust" - malt soft drink

3. "Lutfisk" - lye fish
boiled potatos
"julmust"
diced beets
herring in several sauces