PDA

View Full Version : How to get over Windows?

xxhopingtearsxx
December 21st, 2011, 12:34 AM
I've installed Ubuntu many, many times.. Somehow, I accidentally uninstalled Windows on my 2 week old laptop yesterday. Maybe I was too distracted by the breaking news coverage on the death of Kim Jong-Il, maybe a slip of the finger when I was installing Linux Mint. I don't know, because installation is exactly the same as Ubuntu.. but I decided to go ahead and install Ubuntu (I'm actually regretting replacing Linux Mint now)..

My music is still on my other laptop, and I guess I can just recover the files I miss the most (I use SiteShoter to save certain websites I like every 30 minutes)..

So how do I get over Windows? I need some encouragement. This is now a time of mourning, so be careful on the ridicule. :(

inobe
December 21st, 2011, 12:38 AM
that's just terrible, i can imagine the vast amounts of software you lost that was desperately needed!

good luck getting over it.

xxhopingtearsxx
December 21st, 2011, 12:42 AM
that's just terrible, i can imagine the vast amounts of software you lost that was desperately needed!

good luck getting over it.

I know right?
That's why I thought, but the only program I can think of that I desperately needed was SiteShoter..

Funny how this makes me think.

kurt18947
December 21st, 2011, 12:44 AM
If you haven't used the laptop since deleting Windows 7 I wonder if you can recover the install, or at least some files. The more activity, the less likely successful recovery I think. Do you have a recovery partition? If so, using that will likely overwrite whatever is there now. There are others here more knowledgeable about which software would give you the greatest chance of success.

inobe
December 21st, 2011, 12:46 AM
if the partition was formatted, forget it, if there is a win7 dvd included, then that's a different story.

mörgæs
December 21st, 2011, 12:53 AM
My guess is that it will be like doing spring cleaning in the basement. The very moment you let go of something it feels like a loss, but after a week or two you are happy for getting the extra space.

Again, I am just guessing here. Please comment on this a little later and tell if anything has changed.

xxhopingtearsxx
December 21st, 2011, 12:53 AM
Well there is an HP partition that is supposed to reinstall Windows 7. It doesn't get past 0%, because it just gives me a error code. The only thing I got from googling it was an article from someone complaining that they had to reinstall Windows 7 illegally after deleting Windows 7 in an attempt to install Ubuntu. :|

My guess is that it will be like doing spring cleaning in the basement. The very moment you let go of something it feels like a loss, but after a week or two you are happy for getting the extra space.

Again, I am just guessing here. Please comment on this a little later and tell if anything has changed.

If I can use Hackintosh for a year and have it almost feel like home the way Windows 7 does, I'm sure I can with Ubuntu. :)

Linuxratty
December 21st, 2011, 12:56 AM

So how do I get over Windows? I need some encouragement. This is now a time of mourning, so be careful on the ridicule. :(

No worries..I still sometimes mourn over Linspire!
Yes, Linspire was my Windows killer...I got over Windows in a few months, cause I would read news reports about Windows and it's latest infections which reminded me of things I no longer had to deal with.Also Linspire had KDE as the desktop and I was flabbergasted at the theming stuff it could do...Virtual desktops,each looking different,transparent taskbar,3d buttons,it just went on and on.
I found I really loved the software manager and it was one of the best perks of Linux for me...Only with Windows 8 is Microsoft following suite with an apps store...They are so far behind Linux,it's astounding.
As you warm up to your new os and get comfy with it,you will be astounded at the amazing things it can do..I'm confident you are going to enjoy Ubuntu.

xxhopingtearsxx
December 21st, 2011, 01:05 AM
No worries..I still sometimes mourn over Linspire!

Thanks for the encouraging words!
Linspire was actually one of the first distributions I wanted to check out, after Ubuntu. Ubuntu was still too hard for me when I first started (I had wifi and video problems in Gutsy and Terminal wasn't the easiest thing for me to get used to..) I never decided to switch.

One of the things that helped me get over Windows when I switched to Hackintosh was the MacRumors forum. I had a place I can share screenshots, get themes, etc, so I'm sure the forums here will help.

The only thing I'll have struggles with is having to switch to alternatives for every program. There's a Mac version for most popular programs but for some reason Linux doesn't come into the minds of developers, but the realization that all I need is music, Livesation, and a web browser should really help. :D

About viruses, I haven't had a virus in over a year on Windows but for some reason I got one on my Hackintosh.. Interesting. :confused:

Linuxratty
December 21st, 2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words!
Linspire was actually one of the first distributions I wanted to check out, after Ubuntu. Ubuntu was still too hard for me when I first started (I had wifi and video problems in Gutsy and Terminal wasn't the easiest thing for me to get used to..) I never decided to switch.

Well their saying it was the easiest Linux..Well it sure was. When it folded, I read some of the people who worked on CNR migrated to Ubuntu and have made the software center what it is today.
But,yeah,Linspire was a treat.

About viruses, I haven't had a virus in over a year on Windows but for some reason I got one on my Hackintosh.. Interesting. :confused:

In all my years of using Windows,I think I got 5 infections tops.
Interesting your Hackintosh got infected..Always wanted to try a Hackentosh,but got so wrapped up in Linux I never got around to it.

guyver_dio
December 21st, 2011, 04:29 AM
Google will be your biggest friend on linux, I knew everyday user programs like microsoft office and that will have a good open source equivalent that can run and create files microsoft office uses. But I also had a couple of specialty programs I use to use like guitar pro for guitar. So I'd just search 'best alternative for guitar pro ubuntu', and bam I found tuxguitar. Runs all guitar pro files and I've done this a few times now and have always found a compatible alternative.

A good way to look at it too is it's free. If you didn't illegally download things, add up all the programs you would have to pay for (windows itself, microsoft office, adobe suite, guitar pro, maybe a video editing program etc...) it adds up to hundreds, probably even thousands and you'll keep paying for them with every upgrade.

You get almost the same functionality with linux and linux software for free and it's nowhere near as widely used and known as windows. You gotta say that's pretty damn good. So on very rare cases when I can't find a program to replace one i used to use on windows, I'll try the windows version through wine or I just say oh well it's cost me nothing so far so why complain and either live with it or suggest it to some developers on forums like this.