PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Leopard Extreme Freezing

sgy
December 19th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I use the Leopard Extreme at work and recently it has begun freezing. When this happens I lose all control, and have to manually reboot.

To diagnose the problem I plan to do a live boot from a usb stick and run a memory check. I have never done this before. How do you advise me to proceed? Is there a particular log file you would like to see for diagnostic purposes? Are there any other diagnostics I should run?

The system is under warranty.

As I said this is my work machine and it is very important that I have it up and running again as soon as possible.

Below are some of my specs. (Note that my Ubuntu Forum signature may indicate a different machine. It is the Leopard Extreme that is problematic.)

Thanks,

Sam

==

Leopard Extreme Core i7 960 3.20 GHz L2 8 MB QPI 4.8 GTs - 4 Cores with Hyperthreading
24 GB - 6 x 4 GB - Corsair Vengeance Triple Channel DDR3 - 1600 MHz

1 GB nVidia GeForce GTS 450
300 GB Intel 320 Series SATA II 3 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW Dual Layer LightScribe Drive Logitech Desktop MK200

Ubuntu: Oneiric Ocelot

==

BC59
December 19th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Did you install the proprietary drivers for your graphics card?

sgy
December 19th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I did not install any drivers for the graphics card.

I do not know what drivers System76 installed.

Thanks.

BC59
December 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure but I think it's using the basic Linux drivers. So you could try installing the NVIDIA drivers. From a terminal CTRL+ALT+T run these 3 separate commands:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

sgy
December 20th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I tried to run Memtest from the GRUB menu and received the following error.

error: too small lower memory 0x99100 > 0x8f000

What does this mean?

I am now running Memtest from an Ubuntu live boot, and after almost half of a pass I have seen no errors.

How long should one let Memtest run?

I have not tried installing the drivers mentioned earlier. I wanted to check the hardware first.

Thanks.

isantop
December 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM
That looks like a bug in the included version of MemTest. You can get a live CD of the latest version (4.20) here (http://memtest.org).