PDA

View Full Version : Funeral pyres for pets in the UK?

t0p
December 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM
My dog is only 7 yo, and hopefully far from her last breath. But a friend's dog died recently, which brought this matter to mind. Rocky was 13 yo, had tumours, and on the vet's recommendation Rocky's owner had him "put to sleep". Then the vet dealt with the cremation, which my friend had to pay for.

At the time my friend was distraught, and it didn't even occur to him to ask for his dog's ashes. He revisited the vet a couple of days later and asked for the remains, to be told he should have "said something at the time" and it was now too late.

This all seems very clinical and heartless, and I wouldn't want the same to happen when my mutt kicks the bucket. After some thought I decided I'd like to burn my dog's remains on a funeral pyre.

Is this allowed n England? I remember a few years ago thousands (millions?) of cows were burnt in fields because of a foot-and-mouth outbreak.

MG&TL
December 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
...well, as long as you are considerate, and don't set anything on fire (!) and it's on your land, you are allowed to have a bonfire, which is "disposal of rubbish", I suppose you could class it as a bonfire. (I'm not insinuating your pet is rubbish, I love dogs), and burn your pet then.

There are also pet crematoriums where you can have it done professionally. There's one near me, where do you live?

If you go DIY, read up on the process first, to ensure you don't get undesired results...

pbpersson
December 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM
When the body is burned it might start twitching and appear to be coming back to life. I don't know if that is something I would want to see.

Also, when you are done you will not have ashes, there are teeth and skeletal remains that must be ground up using a machine.

Those are the questions on my mind regarding this.

coldraven
December 18th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm fortunate to live on a farm so I buried my old dog in the paddock where he used to play.
Maybe you could make friends with a landowner or seek out a secluded spot in a forest.

coffeecat
December 18th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Is this allowed n England?

I believe not.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/netregs/businesses/62719.aspx

You must not bury or burn dead animals.

But it goes on to say:

Pet owners can bury their own pets, provided that the pet is one normally kept as a pet, such as dogs and cats.

It's a bit ambiguous but it's aimed at businesses, not the ordinary pet owner. I am not a lawyer but I think what it is saying is that dead pets must be dealt with by licensed crematoria or cemeteries, except that a pet owner may bury their own pet, but not burn it.

Dry Lips
December 19th, 2011, 12:15 AM
After some thought I decided I'd like to burn my dog's remains on a funeral pyre.

Please don't do this mate. The smell will be noticeable far away... You're lucky if your neighbours think you're having a grand barbecue party. You'll be branded as a weirdo if it comes out that you've actually been burning your dog in your back yard. ;)
If you're going to burn your dog completely to ashes, you'll also have to make a very, very big fire. Otherwise you'll end up with a big, black, smelly mess that you'll have to bury anyway.

One a lighter note, did you hear the story about the burglars who snorted the ashes of two cremated dogs and a man because they thought it was coke?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1348820/Burglars-snort-ashes-man-2-dogs-mistaking-cocaine.html