PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 8.0 on Ubuntu 11.10 not clearing Cookies

jaime256
December 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I was just on another forum I like to read and I noticed the Meebo bar at the bottom again. I know this is from the site itself and not installed on my machine, but I know they use cookies for them. I usually clear all the cookies every time I close to prevent these things from piling up but I just noticed that Firefox 8.0 is not clearing them. I just closed it with this setting and checked them again, they are still there. I don't want to add use any add-ons as this works just fine. Does anyone know if this is just a Firefox problem right now? I'm sure if I clear them manually this would probably work, but haven't done it to test it.

lovinglinux
December 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
When you click the button "Show cookies", do you see the cookies you are talking about? The cookies you are talking about are from meebo or the site you are reading? When you restarted Firefox, the site tab was open?

You need to add meebo to the cookies exception list, since you are accepting third-party cookies.

I know you don't want add-ons, but you would get rid of most of this kind of stuff if you use AdBlock Plus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/) and Ghostery (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9609/).

jaime256
December 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I do see it when I open the cookies. I was trying to add this under the pop-ups exceptions and that just wouldn't do it. I just want all the cookies to clear up once I close firefox, this is the other reason I never bother adding sites individually, but firefox is just not deleting the cookies altogether and I'm not sure why. But I'll use your method. Maybe I should have said delete all cookies instead of clearing.

lovinglinux
December 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I do see it when I open the cookies. I was trying to add this under the pop-ups exceptions and that just wouldn't do it. I just want all the cookies to clear up once I close firefox, this is the other reason I never bother adding sites individually, but firefox is just not deleting the cookies altogether and I'm not sure why. But I'll use your method. Maybe I should have said delete all cookies instead of clearing.

Hit CTRL+SHIFT+DEL, untick all options, tick cookies, click "Clear Now".

jaime256
December 19th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks, got that those cleared out with that command.