PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to visit few websites in ubuntu

rajnikhil
December 17th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Recently a wierd issue cropped up in my two ubuntu machines and wireless router. I can visit a few websites and can't visit others, I've mainly faced this problem visiting some websites which show 'waiting for s7.addthis.com' in the browser. Again this seems to be problem when I'm surfing the net either in ubuntu or when my modem is connected to wi-fi router, when I surf these websites in windows they open up without a glitch.

This problem started after my ISP changed my username recently. Can somebody please help me out on this ASAP as I can't afford to switch back and forth between windows and ubuntu as most of my work is accomplished in Ubuntu.

Please let me know what info you'd need to resolve this and I'll post it.

Thanks in advance.

bwallum
December 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I've noticed some Internet issues too. BBC News went wobbly for a day this week, friends report access to bank sites being affected. It seems to resolve itself.

However, I have been getting some error messages than say a Chrome script is running, am I sure I want to close Thunderbird?

I'll start a 'Why do I get messages saying a Chrome script is running when I close Thunderbird' thread.

lovinglinux
December 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Use Ghostery (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/9609/) and AdBlock Plus (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865/). They block those add/tracking sites that are making your connection time out.

rajnikhil
December 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Wow, that was such a simple solution, how stupid of me! Anyways thanks a ton for helping me out Lovinglinux.:guitar:

lovinglinux
December 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Wow, that was such a simple solution, how stupid of me! Anyways thanks a ton for helping me out Lovinglinux.:guitar:

You are welcome. Enjoy a faster and cleaner web.

rajnikhil
December 26th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Ok I seem to have another problem. The issue of not being able to view certain websites was resolved by installing the adblock plus add-on in the firefox but it seems this problem still exists in a different form.

I have a wireless router in my internet circuitry i.e. the internet goes to the modem (UT-300R2U) provided by my ISP which is inturn connected to the Belkin Wireless G Router (model: F5D7230-4) and I'm intermittently able to connect view websites while I'm connecting to internet thourgh the router (generally when the router and modem have been just powered up). This is happening, both, when I try to open website in laptop by wifi and when I try to open website through my desktop which is wired to this router (both linux).

Can somebody please let me know what is the issue and how to resolve it. Its annoying that I can't connect wirelessly as I have several devices which are wifi enabled.

(Damn my ISP for changing whatever they changed recently :-( )

rajnikhil
December 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ok I seem to have another problem. The issue of not being able to view certain websites was resolved by installing the adblock plus add-on in the firefox but it seems this problem still exists in a different form.

I have a wireless router in my internet circuitry i.e. the internet goes to the modem (UT-300R2U) provided by my ISP which is inturn connected to the Belkin Wireless G Router (model: F5D7230-4) and I'm intermittently able to connect view websites while I'm connecting to internet thourgh the router (generally when the router and modem have been just powered up). This is happening, both, when I try to open website in laptop by wifi and when I try to open website through my desktop which is wired to this router (both linux).

Can somebody please let me know what is the issue and how to resolve it. Its annoying that I can't connect wirelessly as I have several devices which are wifi enabled.

(Damn my ISP for changing whatever they changed recently :-( )

Can somebody please help me out on this, feel like hammering the router:(

androssofer
December 28th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm intermittently able to connect view websites while I'm connecting to internet thourgh the router (generally when the router and modem have been just powered up). This is happening, both, when I try to open website in laptop by wifi and when I try to open website through my desktop which is wired to this router (both linux). )

could you clarify what you mean by this?

so you can view websites for a while after turning your router and model. but then it stops working?

and the same thing occurs both on wireless and wired connections?

rajnikhil
December 29th, 2011, 03:15 AM
so you can view websites for a while after turning your router and model. but then it stops working?

Yes, that is what is happening.

and the same thing occurs both on wireless and wired connections?

Both, my desktop as well as laptop are usually connected to the net simultaneously. The desktop is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cord and laptop by means of wifi.

feel free to let me know if you require any other info for helping me resolve this issue.

alphacrucis2
December 29th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Yes, that is what is happening.

Both, my desktop as well as laptop are usually connected to the net simultaneously. The desktop is connected to the wireless router via ethernet cord and laptop by means of wifi.

feel free to let me know if you require any other info for helping me resolve this issue.

Maybe you should try a fault call to your ISP.

rajnikhil
December 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think that'd be much of help because if I am connecting to the internet directly through the modem in Windows then the net seems to be working absolutely fine as ever. The problem arises when I'm trying to view websites in ubuntu either connected directly to modem or through the router. I also have issues viewing websites when connected to the net through the wireless router even in windows. However in all the combinations mentioned above torrent download seem to work absolutely fine.

As I see it, the problem seems to be with either or with both ubuntu and my wireless router and things seems fine with the ISP itself.

androssofer
December 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I don't think that'd be much of help because if I am connecting to the internet directly through the modem in Windows then the net seems to be working absolutely fine as ever. The problem arises when I'm trying to view websites in ubuntu either connected directly to modem or through the router. I also have issues viewing websites when connected to the net through the wireless router even in windows. However in all the combinations mentioned above torrent download seem to work absolutely fine.

As I see it, the problem seems to be with either or with both ubuntu and my wireless router and things seems fine with the ISP itself.

does ubuntu die when its direct though the modem?

seems like an ISP or router problem to me. Happens to me on sundays when students come home from the country and kill the internet in the area. i restart the router and its fine. Both on windows and ubuntu.

how new it the router? i had to replace my mums 1 because its from the stone age and would die if you tried to stream more than 1 youtube video.

next time it dies. open up the terminal and type:

traceroute www.google.com

it will show all the network devices your signal goes through to get to google. the first few will be to your router and to your isp, they should be quite quick (<100ms i think). if they are large it should show where the hold up is.

if you can, post the output here, but take out any ip addresses in the first few results, for safety :-)

rajnikhil
January 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Ok so the ISP technician confirmed that there is no issue no issue with settings of the ISP and I'm getting a decent internet speed of 256Kbps and when connected to the modem directly in wondows the connection works just fine so the issue has definetly got to be with ubuntu and router.

To confirm if there is a problem with buntu settings I tried to connect to it through live cd option but no change and the connection was just as bad, that's wierd.

Any ideas any body what could be wrong?

z3nhakr
January 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM
are you running ubuntu and windows on the same machine?
what is the output of ifconfig

rajnikhil
January 3rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
are you running ubuntu and windows on the same machine?
Yes I have both windows and ubuntu on my laptop

what is the output of ifconfig
Following is the output of ifconfig when my desktop is directly connected to the modem:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1a:4d:94:83:5c
inet6 addr: fe80::21a:4dff:fe94:835c/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1646 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1420 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1130813 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:200071 (200.0 KB)
Interrupt:23 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:18752 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:18752 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2524658 (2.5 MB) TX bytes:2524658 (2.5 MB)

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:117.195.134.180 P-t-P:117.195.128.1 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:201 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:185 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:171822 (171.8 KB) TX bytes:14474 (14.4 KB)

Another thing I noticed is that now my dynamic ip address starts from 117.xxx.xxx.xxx whereas ealier it used to be like 95.xxx.xxx.xxx