PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hide Gnome Shell Dash

Trilby
December 14th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I prefer Docky over Gnomw Shell's Dash (ie side bar), is there a way to hide the latter?

Many thanks,
Trilby

jimmydean886-2
December 15th, 2011, 03:33 AM
When you open up the Overview, Docky will hide. On the other hand, while the overview isn't open, Docky should act normally.

By the way, GNOME Shell doesn't have a dock unless you add an extension. That's unity that does.

Trilby
December 15th, 2011, 04:49 AM
When you open up the Overview, Docky will hide. On the other hand, while the overview isn't open, Docky should act normally.

I know that. I can see.

By the way, GNOME Shell doesn't have a dock unless you add an extension. That's unity that does.

It does, see attachment, the thing on the left.

lolpenguin
December 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
That is hidden when you are in the desktop, unless you install the Dock extension. You can't hide it in the Activities Overview, though.

Trilby
December 15th, 2011, 03:30 PM
That is hidden when you are in the desktop, ... ... You can't hide it in the Activities Overview, though.

I know. However, on a related note, does anyone know how to change the side of the screen it appears on?

Trilby
December 16th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Solved: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/79/hide-dash/

webdesigncompanyla
October 18th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I'm a little confused at the installation instructions:

To install the extension, clone this repository and symlink the directory "hide-dash@zacbarton.com" into "~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/". Then restart gnome-shell (<Alt> + F2 and enter "r"), open gnome-tweak-tool and enable the extension.

What does that mean exactly?

markbl
October 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
What does that mean exactly?
That is an old instruction on how to enable a gnome shell extension from the time before the extensions.gnome.org site. Now you just press the ON button on that site and it does it all for you.

webdesigncompanyla
October 18th, 2012, 11:42 PM
That is an old instruction on how to enable a gnome shell extension from the time before the extensions.gnome.org site. Now you just press the ON button on that site and it does it all for you.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/79/hide-dash/

The extensions page for the "HIDE DASH" extension have the same uncomprehendable instructions I listed above. I'm fine editing code, but I don't know what clone means, etc.

Could someone give the instructions on how to install this extension?

webdesigncompanyla
October 18th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Sorry, I didn't under stand what "just press the ON button on that site" meant. It might be a good idea to have instructions stating that you can toggle the on/off switch. It's not really a "button", it's a switch, but I don't see where it says you can toggle.

I found it out by watching a video.

Thanks!

(little things like clear instructions will make Linux better)

webdesigncompanyla
October 18th, 2012, 11:57 PM
btw, Gnome 3 (Shell) is far superior to Unity, these extensions make it awesome!

I have Docky on the bottom and using a few of the extensions, thanks everyone!