PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 upgrade to 11.10/14

kkelly77
December 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hello all,

I'm considering upgrading to Ubuntu 11.10 or 11.14

I understand the ideal way would be to backup my info and use a clean install. Is it possible to upgrade using Update Manager and not lose all my information? Thanks.

K

cortman
December 14th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Hello all,

I understand the ideal way would be to backup my info and use a clean install. Is it possible to upgrade using Update Manager and not lose all my information? Thanks.

K

Yes. I did it myself from 11.04 to 11.10. Worked quite well, and 11.10 has worked flawlessly for me ever since.

DaveyG
December 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I think you'd have to upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10, 10.10 to 11.04... Then to 11.10. (As far as I'm aware) there's no possibility to upgrade directly from 10.04 to 11.04/11.10

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

kkelly77
December 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Yes. I did it myself from 11.04 to 11.10. Worked quite well, and 11.10 has worked flawlessly for me ever since.

Did you have to make any changes at all after the upgrade? No issues at all?

The only reason I ask is that the one thing that isn't working on my laptop is the built in mic (have confirmed it works using my Vista partition). I have tried a number of different solutions written on the forum but none have worked. I was hoping upgrading the OS would sort it out.

kkelly77
December 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I think you'd have to upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10, 10.10 to 11.04... Then to 11.10. (As far as I'm aware) there's no possibility to upgrade directly from 10.04 to 11.04/11.10

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

Thanks for the link David. However, my Update Manager lists only version 11.10 to upgrade to.

DaveyG
December 14th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the link David. However, my Update Manager lists only version 11.10 to upgrade to.

I may be wrong (I've never upgraded via Update Manager), it could be worth a try. But, be sure to back up all your data. You could also keep a CD/DVD of Ubuntu at hand, if the worst comes

robgraves
December 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
There isn't an 11.14, btw, ubuntu's numbering scheme is first number is year of release, second number is month of release, so 10.04 is April of 2010, 10.10 is Oct 2010, 11.04 is April 2011, 11.10 is oct 2011, the next is 12.04 release date in april 2012

bluexrider
December 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Hello all,

K

from 10.04 to 11.10 = fresh install otherwise

10.04 upgrade to 11.04 upgrade to 11.10

fresh install is preferred

kkelly77
December 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to try the Update Manager upgrade first, just to see if it works. And failing that, a fresh install.

All I need now is a 2TB ext HDD to backup with. Dear Santa..........:D

DaveyG
December 14th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to try the Update Manager upgrade first, just to see if it works. And failing that, a fresh install.

All I need now is a 2TB ext HDD to backup with. Dear Santa..........:D

Are you intending a backup of all your files/folder? Or your entire system?

cortman
December 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Did you have to make any changes at all after the upgrade? No issues at all?

The only reason I ask is that the one thing that isn't working on my laptop is the built in mic (have confirmed it works using my Vista partition). I have tried a number of different solutions written on the forum but none have worked. I was hoping upgrading the OS would sort it out.

No problems, no changes needed at all. Worked great.

I was misled by your various references to versions though. If you are indeed going from 10.04 to 11.10, I would definitely recommend a fresh install. If you are going from 11.04 to 11.10, upgrading is fine.
My personal recommendation would be to wait till the next LTS, 12.04, and do a fresh install then.

kkelly77
December 14th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Are you intending a backup of all your files/folder? Or your entire system?

All my files and folders (I've a lot of movies/music on the laptop). No point in backing up the entire system if I'm upgrading the OS, is there?

DaveyG
December 14th, 2011, 09:18 PM
All my files and folders (I've a lot of movies/music on the laptop). No point in backing up the entire system if I'm upgrading the OS, is there?

I see, and true... Blonde moment ;)

dBuster
December 14th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I would search and read about creating a separate partition for the /home. I did it and now my /home is protected... somewhat...

As far as your upgrading from 10.04. Why not look at holding off until April and upgrading like I am going to do to version 12.04. You will not need to step through the other steps as you would be going from one LTS (long term support) version to another and by doing that you can skip the updating to 10.10, 11.04, 11.10....

Also there was a bug if I recall correctly, that caused the wrong version number to display, and it was version number 11.10 instead of 10.10 if I am not mistaken, for a possible upgrade using the package manager. Not sure if that bug is showing itself on your 10.04 or not....

kkelly77
December 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM
As far as your upgrading from 10.04. Why not look at holding off until April and upgrading like I am going to do to version 12.04. You will not need to step through the other steps as you would be going from one LTS (long term support) version to another and by doing that .

I didn't realise 12.04 was on the way. That might be the best option.

DaveyG
December 15th, 2011, 12:13 AM
I didn't realise 12.04 was on the way. That might be the best option.

Also, 10.04 is still supported. Support and updates are available until April 2013

cryptotheslow
December 15th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Indeed so. And 12.04 LTS brings with it the 5 year support even on the Desktop version which will be nice for those of us who just want stuff to work and aren't so bothered about having the latest / greatest everything :)

bluexrider
December 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Indeed so. And 12.04 LTS brings with it the 5 year support even on the Desktop version which will be nice for those of us who just want stuff to work and aren't so bothered about having the latest / greatest everything :)
and the first thing I m going to do is build a faster desktop PC

uriel1998
December 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM
So for those of you who have upgraded - any noticeable speed/performance differences? My aging laptop is doing fine at this point, but I've not done a LTS upgrade with Ubuntu, and don't know if there's a hit like there is for Windows versions...

I'm a strange duck - using OpenBox over Ubuntu, but I like the community, like Synaptic, etc, so that's keeping me here instead of jumping to Debian or to Arch...

bluexrider
December 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM
So for those of you who have upgraded - any noticeable speed/performance differences? My aging laptop is doing fine at this point, but I've not done a LTS upgrade with Ubuntu, and don't know if there's a hit like there is for Windows versions...

I'm a strange duck - using OpenBox over Ubuntu, but I like the community, like Synaptic, etc, so that's keeping me here instead of jumping to Debian or to Arch...

The thing I noticed is its (Ubuntu) getting bigger, more apps and becoming resource hungry. My PC is 10-11 years old running 11.04. and thats about the best we are gonna do. Gnome 3 is able to load but I just don't get the response from it as I do running the earlier version. I would like to jump to the 12.04 but afraid its going to overwhelm my existing hardware.

Now my Toshiba A505 is able to scoot with the latest but its also a multi-core unit and has twice the memory as my desktop.

Garland Fox
December 15th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Personal warning:
We tried a step by step upgrade from 10.04 to 11.10 and it crashed our dual boot HP going from 11.04 to 11.10.

bluexrider
December 15th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Personal warning:
We tried a step by step upgrade from 10.04 to 11.10 and it crashed our dual boot HP going from 11.04 to 11.10.

Making that big of a jump! might as well try flying in hyperspace with wings.

Its recommended to do a fresh install. PERIOD! upgrades are a known issue. guess you didn't read the warning on the bottom of the keyboard.

Garland Fox
December 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Yep that is what I am trying to tell kkelly77.

Garland Fox
December 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM
What about the warning on the bottom of the keyboard - c'mon let me have it!

dBuster
December 15th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Yes I will agree with everyone that going from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10 is a gigantic bunch of steps and a clean install I would recommend.

HOWEVER

If you are going from say 10.04 to 12.04, one LTS to another LTS, I would say that is not that big of a step seeing as it is only one step. I did it from 8.04 to 10.04 without any hiccups on another machine and I plan on going from 10.04 to 12.04 when it is officially released next April...

bluexrider
December 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM
What about the warning on the bottom of the keyboard - c'mon let me have it!

What? You've never turned your keyboard over and read it.

Legalese. They don't want to be held responsible if:
a) You drop the keyboard and break your foot.
b) You spill your beverage on the keys and get a shock.
c) Poke your head under the desk, get caught up in the cord, and asphyxiate yourself.

As outlandish or cynical as this may sound, it's true. Notice how all of the coffee cups you get from fast food places say, "Caution - Contents may be hot!"? If just one person has EVER been even slightly injured by a keyboard, or conveivably could, the company wants to protect themselves pre-emptively. Hence the sticker.

bluexrider
December 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Yes I will agree with everyone that going from 10.04 to 10.10 to 11.04 to 11.10 is a gigantic bunch of steps and a clean install I would recommend.

HOWEVER

If you are going from say 10.04 to 12.04, one LTS to another LTS, I would say that is not that big of a step seeing as it is only one step. I did it from 8.04 to 10.04 without any hiccups on another machine and I plan on going from 10.04 to 12.04 when it is officially released next April...
Going from LTS to LTS is different than taking the four steps to death.

Garland Fox
December 15th, 2011, 11:10 PM
My keyboard is made in China - just says "Enjoy"

Garland Fox
December 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Going from LTS to LTS is different than taking the four steps to death.
I also agree - wait on the LTS. We had a much MUCH better experience with 10.04 than with anything else we have done since.

bluexrider
December 15th, 2011, 11:14 PM
My keyboard is made in China - just says "Enjoy"

“享受”

I see

uriel1998
December 16th, 2011, 12:51 AM
The thing I noticed is its (Ubuntu) getting bigger, more apps and becoming resource hungry. My PC is 10-11 years old running 11.04. and thats about the best we are gonna do. Gnome 3 is able to load but I just don't get the response from it as I do running the earlier version. I would like to jump to the 12.04 but afraid its going to overwhelm my existing hardware.

Do you think that's GNOME3's fault? Like I mentioned, I use OpenBox as my WM and DE. I used BBwin back when I used Windows, so the *box variants are pretty intuitive for me.

I primarily use Ubuntu for managing packages, PPAs, and the like (because it's, um, easy - hell, I use checkinstall when building from source so that it makes packages!). But now I'm hitting where versions of software simply *won't* run on 10.04 anymore because the libraries, etc, aren't updated.

Or am I just talking about updating the kernel? (Here's where my knowledge of linux runs really, really short...)

bluexrider
December 16th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Do you think that's GNOME3's fault? Like I mentioned, I use OpenBox as my WM and DE. I used BBwin back when I used Windows, so the *box variants are pretty intuitive for me.

I primarily use Ubuntu for managing packages, PPAs, and the like (because it's, um, easy - hell, I use checkinstall when building from source so that it makes packages!). But now I'm hitting where versions of software simply *won't* run on 10.04 anymore because the libraries, etc, aren't updated.

Or am I just talking about updating the kernel? (Here's where my knowledge of linux runs really, really short...)

I can't day its Gnome3's fault. I just "feel" that way when I installed it on the PC. It was slower I know it. Prove it. NO! Plus I'm not into the screen full of icons.

I know we will be loosing the battle for the "old Gnome" but if it means keeping my old PC for another 10 years then thats what I'll do.

The program list usually gets its updates and are backwards compatible so I really haven't found issues there unless the app doesn't receive support.