PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] getting best WM working on my laptop

originofmarduk
December 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
hi everyone, new user and would like to run the best WM on my laptop. i installed the studio 11.10 on my asus machine things went great. updated first thing. i downloaded compiz and added to my startup with the compiz --replace. noticed that all but 1 workspace disappeared, and it seems that the features in the WM and WM tweaks have gone away. i took out the compiz/replace in startup and the workplaces have returned, but the WM stuff has not. i just want to run the best WM i can. will need detail instructions --- SORRY.
have an asus laptop, pentium t4400 proc, 4 gb ram w/ up to 2gb of shared video mem. my video card is a intel integrated - GM 45/47 chipset

thanks in advance- steve

sgx
December 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM
hi everyone, new user and would like to run the best WM on my laptop. i installed the studio 11.10 on my asus machine things went great. updated first thing. i downloaded compiz and added to my startup with the compiz --replace. noticed that all but 1 workspace disappeared, and it seems that the features in the WM and WM tweaks have gone away. i took out the compiz/replace in startup and the workplaces have returned, but the WM stuff has not. i just want to run the best WM i can. will need detail instructions --- SORRY.
have an asus laptop, pentium t4400 proc, 4 gb ram w/ up to 2gb of shared video mem. my video card is a intel integrated - GM 45/47 chipset

thanks in advance- steve
Trinity fork of kde is the best, you can place app icons in desired
order and spacing on a transparent taskbar, scroll wheel used to
switch between multiple desktops, main menu under the rmb etc

E17 is second, and perhaps first, when considering the many
less crucial options, that make for a config-fest, if one desires it.
Greyhound, or Hawg, it's up to the user. ;)

JC Cheloven
December 19th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Just to kindly point out: great desktop effects and such isn't usually a good deal for the kind of work UbuntuStudio is supposed to be used. The machine power is needed for the main tasks (for example for real time response in case of audio work).

In fact, some specialized distributions, as AVlinux (http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html), feature a desktop environment as light as possible.

Cheers

sgx
December 19th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I once checked what kde was doing when the system is idle...virtually
nothing when checking with the command

ps ux

Most audio apps don't use kde. So drawing taskbar icons
and window borders should not eat ram and cpu too much.

I use konqueror and k3b. A light-distro to me, must have a
600 meg or less /usr/bin, with audio core apps installed,
and an .iso under 400 meg. The AVLinux iso is 2 gig, but loaded
with video and other apps I don't use. At least we have many
excellent choices, for every need! :popcorn:

E17 i-bar is close to Trinity, but lacks drag/drop placing/arranging of icons on the taskbar.

Cheers

Bucky Ball
December 19th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Just to kindly point out: great desktop effects and such isn't usually a good deal for the kind of work UbuntuStudio is supposed to be used. The machine power is needed for the main tasks (for example for real time response in case of audio work).

In fact, some specialized distributions, as AVlinux (http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html), feature a desktop environment as light as possible.

Cheers

Indeed, and one of the reasons UStudio now uses Xfce ...

For AV work you want it stripped back. Maybe you should try another Ubuntu and just install the UStudio packages you want to use in that ...

bluexrider
December 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM

thanks in advance- steve
its all about what you want to do. heavy apps require less eyecandy to run right. If you want flare then run KDE

here's a list http://xwinman.org/