PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Want to get a MIDI keyboard/ MIDI > USB adapter- what do y'all use?

Bootleg Ben
December 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I have been using Ubuntu Studio 11.04 for 3-4 months, and have finally decided to get a MIDI keyboard.

I want to make sure that whatever I buy will be compatible with my system and computer. More concerned about the MIDI>USB cable than the keyboard.

Also, I don't want to spend a lot of $$$

I use an IBM/Lenovo T43 (type 2669)

Thanks

Ben

satanselbow
December 13th, 2011, 10:08 PM
My (ageing) Behringer UMX25 is plug n play... i'm not a piano player though an just use it for sample triggering/drum loops etc

Still trying to get the BOSS GT5 up on Linux... thus far an epic fail :( ... that said it's a bit hit n miss in Win too ;)

marin123
December 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I have M-Audio O2, works plug&play. It's nice, but I can't map knobs in LMMS.

Bootleg Ben
December 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Satanselbow-

Looked at the Behringer, looking for something with a little more range, like at least a 49 key. I know that Behringer makes larger models like what you have, but would prefer if I knew for sure that it work.

Guitar effects rack tangent:
Don't know if you are familiar with Rakarrack (it's in the ubuntu repository)- it has quite a few effects. I have found it to be a lot of fun to play my banjos thru, especially the opticaltrem...

Thanks

sgx
December 14th, 2011, 02:25 AM
A used yamaha dgx 500 or 300, 88 key/76 works great, and
has 5pin midi ports, and some useful abilities, which
newer dgx models lack. A Korg nano-kontrol can be added
for extra physical knobs to use with midi-learn enabled
soft-synths.

Cheers

jockyburns
December 14th, 2011, 08:15 PM
A lot of later Yamaha models use a usb, to usb cable for connection to a computer. One end is the normal usb plug you insert into your computer, the other end is the same as a lot of usb printers use to plug into the printer.
My Yamaha keyboard plugged straight into my computer no problem. I was worried about the Yamaha software that came with it, (all designed for Windoze), but Rosegarden recognised the keyboard straight away, and accepts midi data from it. :o

Sylos
December 14th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I have an M-audio Oxygen8 V2 that is rather nice. Works off the USB OOB and is quite nice to use. They come in larger sizes (mine is only a couple of octaves). Not sure about mapping the knobs to varying functions as I havent tried. I know that one of the buttons already works by default to change banks with Zynnadsubfx. I like it but I've never used any others and I only use it for laying down the odd synth progression or sound effect.

Cheers

treacl
January 3rd, 2012, 03:06 AM
I'm looking for a MIDI and/or USB keyboard myself, to use with jackd and aeolus. It needs to have 61 keys, which seems to limit my choices considerably; also, I'm shopping on the cheap.

Does anyone have experience with the M-Audio Keystation 61es, Oxygen 61, or the (older) Yamaha KX61?

Thanks,
treacl

Bootleg Ben
January 31st, 2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks everyone for responding.

I ended up buying a M-Audio Keystation 61es- simple, feels nice, reasonable price, and (more importantly) IT WORKS!!

Ben

CivilizationII
February 17th, 2012, 08:43 PM
M-audio are working fine out of the box, and are not expensive

Noobuntu79
February 19th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Mine is an Edirol PCR300 with 30key range - if you're after more range they have a 500 & 800 at 50 & 80key respectively. Massively controllable and assignable - 9knobs, 9faders, Xfader, 18 velocity buttons....Facility for both MIDI cable or USB.

Works like a charm with Ubuntu 11.10 straight out of the box but I've had issues getting it to talk to Studio.... The control map editor software will not work with Ubuntu - control map presets can be changed/stored manually though.

Picked mine up for 100quid.