PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost sound since reinstalling ATI Fire GL driver and 'aticonfig --initial'

Dáire Fagan
December 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I installed my new card a few days ago and everything has been fine sound wise, but I received an error in WINE so thought I'd try reinstalling the driver.

I first uninstalled it and attempted to restart but just saw lots of white text that eventually stalled so I hard reset. I got into Ubuntu recovery mode and started in failsafe graphics mode where I reactivated the driver.

After a reboot I did an 'aticonfig --initial' in terminal and restarted again to discover I had no sound.

Notably my sound in Windows XP has also stopped working which I initially feared meant the sound had a hardware failure but I'm now hoping it has somehow just gotten mixed up.

My new HD Radeon 4650 has sound capability but only in HDMI mode, and I use the VGA port. Perhaps somehow the sound is trying to go through HDMI?

dusf@banshee:~$ sudo aplay -l
[sudo] password for dusf:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Already tried a cold restart.

Any suggestions?

Xubuntu 11.04
x86
Xfce
Dell E520

Dáire Fagan
December 13th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I installed my new card a few days ago and everything has been fine sound wise, but I received an error in WINE so thought I'd try reinstalling the driver.

I first uninstalled it and attempted to restart but just saw lots of white text that eventually stalled so I hard reset. I got into Ubuntu recovery mode and started in failsafe graphics mode where I reactivated the driver.

After a reboot I did an 'aticonfig --initial' in terminal and restarted again to discover I had no sound.

Notably my sound in Windows XP has also stopped working which I initially feared meant the sound had a hardware failure but I'm now hoping it has somehow just gotten mixed up.

My new HD Radeon 4650 has sound capability but only in HDMI mode, and I use the VGA port. Perhaps somehow the sound is trying to go through HDMI?

Any suggestions?

Xubuntu 11.04
x86
Xfce
Dell E520

Dáire Fagan
December 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Xubuntu 11.04
x86
Xfce
Dell E520

Any suggestions?

Xubuntu 11.04
x86
Xfce
Dell 520

Dáire Fagan
December 13th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Xubuntu 11.04
x86
Xfce
Dell 520

Any suggestions?

Xubuntu 11.04
x86
Xfce
Dell E520

overdrank
December 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Hi and please do not create multiple threads on the same issue. Threads merged.

Dáire Fagan
December 13th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Resolved: selected the Sigmatel Onboard sound in Windows XP Control Panel (Audio Tab), and did the same in Xubuntu's alsamixer making sure 'PCM' was at 100%.

Somehow the IRQ order got changed and the Onboard sound was moved down priority.

Dáire Fagan
December 13th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Resolved: selected the Sigmatel Onboard sound in Windows XP Control Panel (Audio Tab), and did the same in Xubuntu's alsamixer making sure 'PCM' was at 100%.

Somehow the IRQ order got changed and the Onboard sound was moved down priority.