PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] SAMBA: Command line to share/unshare folders ?

Jethro_uk
December 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi all, is it possible to run a command line to share a folder in Samba, in a similar way to the NET SHARE command in Windows ?

I know Samba uses a conf file to outline shared dirs ... is that the only way to add/remove a share ? If so, are there any scripts that can be used to achieve a single command-line control ?

Morbius1
December 12th, 2011, 01:10 PM
There's 2 ways to create a samba share:

* Classic-share uses smb.conf and it's shares are defined there. I don't know if there is a way to create a share from a terminal for these shares.

* Usershares also uses smb.conf but it's shares are defined in /var/lib/samba/usershares. These can be created from a terminal although the syntax is very awkward:

Let's say I wanted to create a guest writeable share of my Documents folder:

net usershare add documents /home/morbius/Documents "morbius documents" everyone:F guest_ok=yTo make it Read Only change "everyone:F" to "everyone:R"
To make it a private share vs a Public share change "guest_ok=y" to "guest_ok=n"

Usershares don't have the flexibility and configurability of a classic share but depending on your needs it might be enough.

The command to delete the Usershare I created above:

net usershare delete documentsAnd the command to get a list of how all your usershares are configured:

net usershare info --long

Jethro_uk
December 12th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Thanks Morbius1 - that works a treat ! Exactly what I wanted ... now I can easily switch a share on/off from a SSH login, rather than using Webmin, or having to access the GUI to use SMBConf ..

(can you tell I'm a windows user !)

Weird using almost the same command in Linux as Windows ...