PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick out an Android tablet

NMFTM
December 9th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Okay, I want a tablet for Xmas, but I've been searching the interwebz for days and can't make up my mind and my parents need to know what to buy me ASAP. Here's my criteria:

- Runs Android OS
- can be purchased from a reputable US retailer
- is rootable, hopefully, with the ability to install ICS (4.x)
- has a screensize of 7-8 inches
- can be held in one hand (so, probably no more than 5.5" wide)
- with a resolution of at least 1024x600
- with a battery life of at least 6.5 hours for video playback and wifi disabled
- capacatitive touch screen
- with as powerful a CPU I can get for around $250 (Arm Cortex A8/A9 x2 core?)

I was looking at the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet. The Fire can run Android now, but it has no SD card slots. The Nook is a definite possibility, it can also run Android and has an SD slot.

But I'd like to see what you guys come up with. I was checking out this site (http://www.android-tablet-comparison-world.com/). But, a lot of the tablets there I can't seem to find available from reputable US retailers. I don't want something I'll have a really hard time getting warranty repairs/replacements for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :grin:

NMFTM
December 9th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Reading some tech forum posts and as far as I can tell, the Nook Tablet has a locked boot loader and can't load up custom ROMs (see: "alternate" OSes, like non-crippled Android). Although, you may be able to load an alternate OS off the SD card.

And also, these forum posts were from two weeks ago. So, stuff might've changed.

sandyd
December 9th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Okay, I want a tablet for Xmas, but I've been searching the interwebz for days and can't make up my mind and my parents need to know what to buy me ASAP. Here's my criteria:

- Runs Android OS
- can be purchased from a reputable US retailer
- is rootable, hopefully, with the ability to install ICS (4.x)
- has a screensize of 7-8 inches
- can be held in one hand (so, probably no more than 5.5" wide)
- with a resolution of at least 1024x600
- with a battery life of at least 6.5 hours for video playback and wifi disabled
- capacatitive touch screen
- with as powerful a CPU I can get for around $250 (Arm Cortex A8/A9 x2 core?)

I was looking at the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet. The Fire can run Android now, but it has no SD card slots. The Nook is a definite possibility, it can also run Android and has an SD slot.

But I'd like to see what you guys come up with. I was checking out this site (http://www.android-tablet-comparison-world.com/). But, a lot of the tablets there I can't seem to find available from reputable US retailers. I don't want something I'll have a really hard time getting warranty repairs/replacements for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :grin:
You know that a 7 inch screen-size isn't pretty useful? I had a acer iconia a100 (I wanted to test out tablets back then (4h browsing, Nvidia Tegra2, 512mbRAM, 8G InternalSd). It was too small. The onscreen keyboard was RIDICULOUSLY hard to type on. It was too easy to hit the icons next to it. Too little app space. Notification area got crowded. I got a new tablet after the screen cracked in a car accident, and got a Transformer. That includes (well it doesn't..., but it was on sale, and as a result, the keyboard came with it for free), an actual physical keyboard. Attaches to the tablet, provides USB ports (on the keyboard), and has a really long battery life (tablet + keyboard battery). I still use it, and love it.

I find that tablets are only useful if it as a large screen.

Rubykuby
December 9th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Galaxy Tab 7 inch?

I don't know, I've been looking forward to an Eee Pad Slider, but I don't think I'll get a tablet just yet.

NMFTM
December 9th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Man, I'd *really* like to get the Nook Tablet (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181/). But, it's locked bootloader (http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/rooters-beware-nook-tablet-may-have-a-signed-bootloader-20111116/) kinda scares me. They may never get it unlocked. The Nook Color (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nook_Color#Use_as_an_Android_tablet) is fully hackable, but only has an 8hr battery life and single core CPU, compared to the Tablet's 11.5 hour battery.

You know that a 7 inch screen-size isn't pretty useful?
I'm basically looking for an e-reader that runs Android. So I can read books (and full color screen, for comic books) at Starbucks and essentially have the same functionality as a smart phone, but minus the phone. It's not gonna replace my PC by any means. I've used the Kindle Fire before and aside from the sluggish screen (which, might just be the KF, not capacatitive touch screens in general) I didn't see how it was *that* hard to use. People do all kinds of stuff on smart phones, which have screens much smaller than 7".

I had a acer iconia a100 (I wanted to test out tablets back then (4h browsing, Nvidia Tegra2, 512mbRAM, 8G InternalSd).
I was looking at that one a few days ago, seemed pretty legit. Except that people were saying it has a poor battery life. Only 4.5 - 5 hours. I don't get why these manufacturers can't put bigger batteries in the things. Portability's the main reason people but tablets overall.

Galaxy Tab 7 inch?
Those thing're $400 at least, too much.

Electraglider
December 9th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I have an iPod touch that I am looking to replace with an Android device. I use it for e-reading, among other things, and it is not all that bad. However, I would like to have something with a bit bigger screen for things such as calculators and keyboards. There is a device out there made by Samsung called the Galaxy Player which comes in two versions. The 5.0 and the 4.0. They are 5 and 4 inch screens respectively, however they are essentially the phone without the phone. Google it or check Amazon. They were both on sale awhile back during black Friday with the 5.0 being $229 which was the price of the 4.0 and the 4.0 was going for $189. I know you said you wanted a 7 - 8 inch screen but these things are worth a look.

forrestcupp
December 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I don't think any tablet can be rooted and modded with a custom ICS yet. As far as I know, ICS isn't even going to be released to the public until after vendors have a chance to start releasing OTA updates for their devices.

NMFTM
December 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I don't think any tablet can be rooted and modded with a custom ICS yet. As far as I know, ICS isn't even going to be released to the public until after vendors have a chance to start releasing OTA updates for their devices.
I don't care about ICS right now. I'd just like something that could eventually be upgraded to it, 3.x is fine. I just like the idea of having something I can hack, mainly for the sake of it.

Copper Bezel
April 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
... This is a dead topic. I typed a lengthy response. Stop doing that.