PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mobile data carrier that works with Ubuntu?

wkulecz
December 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm in the USA running Ubuntu 10.04, I need to find a mobile 3G/4G carrier that would work with Ubuntu preferably via Ethernet or USB tethering. WiFi would be the last resort.

Anyone using T-Mobile, Clearwire, Verizon, AT&T, etc. mobile data plans with Ubuntu?

I'm not up in 3G/4G data, but I need Internet access at a remote location that is covered well for cell phones, but impractical for any 802.11x WiFi solution.

djheadley
December 7th, 2011, 09:18 PM
I am using VirginMobile and although I had to "initialize" the usb device on a Windows machine, it has worked perfectly fine since.

x C0MMAND0 x
December 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Direct tethering and wi-fi hotspot works on my MyTouch 4G with T-mobile, and both are preinstalled on the the phone and it doesn't require rooting or paying for an app.

VeeDubb
December 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
If you have an android smartphone (almost any android smartphone) you can tether over USB with linux fairly easily. Some phones/carriers allow this without you needing to do anything (this is a built-in feature for android that is always there unless the carrier/manufacturer blocks it)

If it has been blocked by the carrier or manufacturer, you can usually re-enable it either by paying an additional fee to your carrier. If your carrier can't/won't re-enable it, you can always just root the phone and enable it yourself. Cyanogenmod has USB, BT and WiFi tethering enabled by default, and it one of the better versions of android to install on your phone IMO.

wkulecz
December 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks!

I'll look into T-Mobile, they seem to have good cell phone coverage at my desired location and a pre-paid data plan I could live with for the ~1 year I'd need this, and reasonably priced devices.

I really have no other use for a "smart phone" as a $100/year pre-paid burner more than meets my telephone requirements.