PDA

View Full Version : The tutorial guide challenge - pimp your workflow

keithpeter
December 7th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hello All

Version 0.2 of my begginer's guide to Unity 2d is now available at

http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/pages/files/unity2dguide.pdf

Challenge to the Lubuntu Crew and the Xubuntu Posse

Can you produce a similar guide, using and requiring only the software available in a default install of your chosen Ubuntu flavour?

The only extra you are allowed is the Restricted Extras package for your chosen flavour. Show off your default software!

A Unity 3d guide would be good as well, and I'd welcome rival material for Unity 2d.

PS: there are three minor 'bugs' or mistakes in version 0.2, can you spot them?

Reply to this to accept the challenge, suggest new activities, or just give feedback on my efforts.

nothingspecial
December 7th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Challenge to the Lubuntu Crew and the Xubuntu Posse

Can you produce a similar guide, using and requiring only the software available in a default install of your chosen Ubuntu flavour?

Go on, I dare you :)

keithpeter
December 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hello All

I'm bumping this thread, just to say that I have uploaded version 0.21 of the beginner's tutorial guide that corrects a few minor typos. Version 0.3 will have sections on USB sticks and backup to external hard drive.

Anyone else interested in end user guides out there at all? Anywhere?

lykwydchykyn
December 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM
When I click your link I get an "access denied" error.

perspectoff
December 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hey dude --

why not set up your own Wiki and put your guide as a wiki (instead of a PDF file that is cumbersome to edit) ?

You can do it for the price of a URL (as cheap as $3/year).

You can use Ubuntu as a server and MediaWiki as the software, all for free.

Instructions are at Ubuntuguide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:All#MediaWiki

or at Kubuntuguide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/All#MediaWiki

Alternatively, if you're really proud of your user guide, I'd be happy to check it out and incorporate it into Ubuntuguide...

keithpeter
December 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hello folks...

When I click your link I get an "access denied" error.

Agghhhhhhh how embarassing. Fixed now. I have an lftp script that mirrors local folder to remote folder. It mirrors permissions, and I forgot to change them before I uploaded. :oops: Thanks very much for pointing this out.

Hey dude -- why not set up your own Wiki and put your guide as a wiki (instead of a PDF file that is cumbersome to edit) ?

That is an idea I'm considering. The document is designed for use printed on paper, so wiki editing would be for many authors to collaborate, which I think would be ace. However, there don't appear to be that many authors around :twisted:
I would also need to work out how media-wiki -> pdf works ('collections').

The other issue with wiki is that (as you will now be able to see since I fixed the permissions) the guide takes the form of a connected series of activities that someone works through. That kind of stuff is tricky with multiple authors working in parallel.

If anyone wanted to contribute a tutorial guide activity for, say, backing up the home drive using Backup, they could post it here and I would be delighted to incorporate the material with attribution and a link back to a Web site.

If you think the tutorial guide looks ok, link away and I can link to the ODT file as well if that helps.

lykwydchykyn
December 9th, 2011, 11:55 PM
The other issue with wiki is that (as you will now be able to see since I fixed the permissions) the guide takes the form of a connected series of activities that someone works through. That kind of stuff is tricky with multiple authors working in parallel.

I did a similar type of guide years ago for SimplyMEPIS, and I understand what you mean. I ended up having a few people send me corrections and suggestions, then later posted the .odt file along with the PDF (it's CC licensed so people can make derivative works).

If I were doing a collaborative thing like that again, I'd probably make it a collection of text files in a simple markup format like markdown or RST and put it on github.

keithpeter
December 10th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hello All

@lykwydchykyn: yes, I had considered Markdown and text files, that is how I write my Web site. The GitHub idea sounds very interesting.

@everyone

Question: suppose I have a Git repository full of Markdown pages with file names in a logical naming convention reflecting the order of the activities. These pages link out to image files of screen grabs held in a directory within the repository.

What is the easiest way to generate a PDF document from the collection? If I get my tools sorted out now, I'll try this method for the 12.04 beginner's guide.

lykwydchykyn
December 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Question: suppose I have a Git repository full of Markdown pages with file names in a logical naming convention reflecting the order of the activities. These pages link out to image files of screen grabs held in a directory within the repository.

What is the easiest way to generate a PDF document from the collection? If I get my tools sorted out now, I'll try this method for the 12.04 beginner's guide.

I haven't done conversions involving linked images. But you could just write a simple script to cat all the chapters together and run them through pandoc.

keithpeter
December 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't done conversions involving linked images. But you could just write a simple script to cat all the chapters together and run them through pandoc.

Thanks lykwydchykyn, pandoc is very good if you install texlive and texlive-extras.

Pandoc -> pdf can pull in images included in the markdown files using the ![]() syntax and it adds captions to each image using the alternate text in the [].

It can also concatenate a lot of markdown files to one large pdf and you can specify a template.

Thanks.