PDA

View Full Version : Wine doesn't seem to work?

Drowz0r
December 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hello there all

I've tried wine with steam games, DC Universe and a bunch of other things but it just doesn't seem to work? I've tried doing the emulate desktop thing as well to see if that would help, but even with hours of changing settings, the closest I could get was one game in steam, an old one (day of defeat) to boot up, allow me to shoot and look around but had no keyboard movement :/

Is this normal for wine? Is there something more suited to gaming? I'm in ubuntu 11.10 and on wine 1.3

Thanks

BC59
December 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Yes and No.

Many apps are working but the majority no.

You can check here (http://appdb.winehq.org/) in the database which ones are working and how they did it:

http://appdb.winehq.org/

BC59
December 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Sorry I forgot to answer to the second question.

Wine is a solution to play games on Linux but it's not the solution.

Other solutions include to install Windows XP in a Virtual machine, like VirtualBox or VMware and play the games there.

Another one is to retain the Windows in a double boot scheme and use the dark side of your computer to play games.

bluexrider
December 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I find the best solution is to run Oracle and boot XP in the VM

Sorry I forgot to answer to the second question.

Wine is a solution to play games on Linux but it's not the solution.

Other solutions include to install Windows XP in a Virtual machine, like VirtualBox or VMware and play the games there.

Another one is to retain the Windows in a double boot scheme and use the dark side of your computer to play games.

|{urse
December 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Virtualbox wont run halo but wine will, go figure. A lot of getting windows games to work on wine is finding the correct driver for your videocard or chipset. you may also find that disabling all desktop effects (specifically disabling compositing) will magically fix some "directx on wine" issues. Also try installing your games via winetricks (if they are on the winetricks install list) and be sure to grab any updates for wine.

you can get winetricks with
sudo apt-get install winetricks then launch it with

winetricks

BC59
December 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM
you can get winetricks with then launch it with

When installing the last version Wine1.3, Winetricks is installed automatically.

|{urse
December 8th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Right on, good to know :)

Ghouli
December 8th, 2011, 08:56 AM
For older 2d games playing in Windows VM is quite useful, I've been playing Close Combat The Longest Day campaign with my little brother since spring with XP in VMWare (didn't work in VirtualBox). Close Combat series suffers from flickering menubars when played with Wine, but with VMWare, they run perfectly fine (tested 3-5 and all the remakes, these games rule). Also Hearts of Iron 2 and King of Dragon Pass are regulars on my virtual XP. :)

Dlambert
December 9th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Hello there all

I've tried wine with steam games, DC Universe and a bunch of other things but it just doesn't seem to work? I've tried doing the emulate desktop thing as well to see if that would help, but even with hours of changing settings, the closest I could get was one game in steam, an old one (day of defeat) to boot up, allow me to shoot and look around but had no keyboard movement :/

Is this normal for wine? Is there something more suited to gaming? I'm in ubuntu 11.10 and on wine 1.3

Thanks

Stupid question, but is your graphics driver installed?

Drowz0r
December 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hello there

Sorry for the lateness in my reply. Bit busy lately with Christmas. Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Well my graphics driver seems to be installed? I do get an error or notification about my graphics accelerator is not turned on or something but the driver seems fine. Though I've no idea how I turn this on :/

Steam seems to install and run fine now but not the games within it. I'll try some others.