PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bandwidth question

WinzenFlyer
December 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Hello,

I just did a download of a youtube video and simultaneously I am online with Pidgin, and that download stopped halfway on the first try. When I was trying to open wolframalpha while the download was running, WA took a long time to load. When it loaded, I noticed that the download had just frozen (It showed 1.1 MB/s but was just standing still).

Then I re-started the download but this time I could surf while it was running. The only thing is that a friend of mine who I'm talking to in Pidgin said, that several lines I wrote during the download didn't reach her. Can this be related to the download taking all the bandwidth? Or can this be related to her network, as she told me that she her ICQ is sometimes not flashing or that she doesn't receive whole messages.

PS: I checked with a different friend and he gets my messages with a delay of 1-2 seconds as measured by my Pidgin and his Miranda.

Frogs Hair
December 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM
All of the above . The download , your friends network , and the instant messenger could all come into play . Downloading from Youtube is not supported here , so you may want to avoid that topic .