PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] IDEA: More Customizable Environment

Spyderkid
December 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Just an idea...

Could you as well as the unity desktop add in gnome 3 as default?

Also making gnome 3/Unity more customizable, so brining back easy installation of themes and icon themes?

dino99
December 3rd, 2011, 03:28 PM
related to unity: install myunity package from synaptic to set your needs :)

related to gnome3: warn/complaint/whine against the gnome-team choice, as they want to hide everything now

grahammechanical
December 3rd, 2011, 03:46 PM
Here is a link to an irc session with Mark shuttleworth. Look at the question by Brousch that is timed at 15:40

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/11/23/%23ubuntu-classroom.html#t15:00

Regards.

Spyderkid
December 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
can't find the package, "myunity" from synaptic... :S

3vi1
December 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM
I think you'd have more luck converting the Pope to Judaism than convincing the Gnome team that they should make the desktop more customizable. They seem... quite... against it.

Unfortunately, I fear Unity's going to be much the same way.

I just use Docky and Conky to make both of them more useable. :)

PaulW2U
December 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
can't find the package, "myunity" from synaptic... :S

It is there, I've just installed it. very useful.

Have you run an update. May be you don't have the required repository enabled? I think it was only added yesterday or may be the day before.

fjgaude
December 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM
related to unity: install myunity package from synaptic to set your needs :)

related to gnome3: warn/complaint/whine against the gnome-team choice, as they want to hide everything now

Yes, yes! The myunity package has the potential of doing most of what many would like.

Spyderkid
December 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
It is there, I've just installed it. very useful.

Have you run an update. May be you don't have the required repository enabled? I think it was only added yesterday or may be the day before.

Which Repository is it in?... How do I update it?

sgage
December 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
Between gnome-tweak-tool and the use of extensions (many are now available in extensions.gnome.org), I think Gnome Shell is arguably more customizable than Unity.

Spyderkid
December 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Gnome shell IS more customizable than Unity, anyway, what repository is myunity in?

PaulW2U
December 3rd, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'm pretty sure Gnome shell IS more customizable than Unity, anyway, what repository is myunity in?

It look like it's in the Community maintained repository (universe) which I would have thought you would have enabled. If you update Synaptic by clicking "Reload" then you should find it under "All" or "Utilities (universe)".

bluexrider
December 3rd, 2011, 11:26 PM
patience is NOT your virtue.

HERE

http://launchpad.net/myunity/trunk/1.0.11/+download/myunity-1.0.11.tar.gz

You can thank me later

Spyderkid
December 4th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I don't have the Community Maintained Repository... :S

cariboo907
December 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I don't have the Community Maintained Repository... :S

Are you running Precise? Myunity isn't available for older versions.

Spyderkid
December 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I run Ubuntu 11.10?

MG&TL
December 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Precise Pangolin = 12.04
Oneiric Ocelot = 11.10

If you want myunity now, run a development release. Or wait. :)

tekstr1der
December 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
@Spyderkid: You might not have realized you posted in the wrong forum. This one is clearly labeled "Ubuntu +1 (Precise Pangolin)", AKA Ubuntu 12.04. Perhaps you'd be better off in the General Help forum.

Also, your signature is pathetic. Grow up.

edujose
December 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM
(...)

Hmm, no need to be rude. Let's stay nice, please.

Spyderkid
December 4th, 2011, 09:27 PM
@Spyderkid: You might not have realized you posted in the wrong forum. This one is clearly labeled "Ubuntu +1 (Precise Pangolin)", AKA Ubuntu 12.04. Perhaps you'd be better off in the General Help forum.

^--- Blaitent windows 7 user right there (excuse spelling)

Hmm, no need to be rude. Let's stay nice, please.

Ladies, Ladies...

btw tekstr1der the post went a bit off topic, if you read from the beginning I was suggesting them including a more customizable environment in 12.04

screaminj3sus
December 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Between gnome-tweak-tool and the use of extensions (many are now available in extensions.gnome.org), I think Gnome Shell is arguably more customizable than Unity.

Gnome 3's design will always make it more customizable than unity, because the shell is almost all css + javascript :). IMO regardless of which shell you like better, gnome-shell probably has the smarter and more forward looking implementation/architecture.

tekstr1der
December 4th, 2011, 11:52 PM
^--- Blaitent windows 7 user right there (excuse spelling)

Absolutely I am a Windows 7 user on my personal desktop at home. I'm not sure what you infer by that fact. I work as a Systems Administrator managing a mixed Windows/Linux (Debian) domain. I dual-boot my personal laptop with Ubuntu+1/Arch Linux (KDE). No Windows on there. I began using linux to develop C code under Slackware in the late 90's when kernel 2.0 rolled out. I used Red Hat versions 6 & 7 extensively to develop C++ for my schooling and internship. I was very active in Launchpad from Karmic-Lucid in hopes that I do my small part to help provide a better Ubuntu experience for all.

Windows 7 is the most stable and functional OS I've ever used. I deal with software problems for a living, so I aim to have as few as possible with my main personal system.

I find it extremely ignorant and usually the hallmark of a "i'm kewl cuz i use linux, winbloze sux" kind of n00b to be bashing windows on these forums.

teh603
December 5th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Windows 7 is the most stable and functional OS I've ever used. I deal with software problems for a living, so I aim to have as few as possible with my main personal system.I find a bit of stability a reasonable tradeoff for not having to pay for Norton to constantly abuse me. If I want to pay for abuse, I know of a few women who would be happy to oblige, and I'd at least be allowed a safeword.

Personally, I find Windows 7 to be so incredibly frustrating compared to Kubuntu and Lubuntu that it gets uninstalled after a few hours. I've also heard a lot of other people complaining about how frustrating 7 is compared to XP. One guy I was talking to last night was nerd raging (at age 80 or so, which was both epic and sad at the same time) about how the antivirus wouldn't let him install anything, or even turn it off so he could install anything.

I find it extremely ignorant and usually the hallmark of a "i'm kewl cuz i use linux, winbloze sux" kind of n00b to be bashing windows on these forums.Well, it is a Linux board, were you expecting different attitudes? Although I honestly haven't heard it referred to as "windblows" since MacUser was still in print and "wintel" was the common phrase for it.

sgage
December 5th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I find a bit of stability a reasonable tradeoff for not having to pay for Norton to constantly abuse me. If I want to pay for abuse, I know of a few women who would be happy to oblige, and I'd at least be allowed a safeword.

Personally, I find Windows 7 to be so incredibly frustrating compared to Kubuntu and Lubuntu that it gets uninstalled after a few hours. I've also heard a lot of other people complaining about how frustrating 7 is compared to XP. One guy I was talking to last night was nerd raging (at age 80 or so, which was both epic and sad at the same time) about how the antivirus wouldn't let him install anything, or even turn it off so he could install anything.

Well, it is a Linux board, were you expecting different attitudes? Although I honestly haven't heard it referred to as "windblows" since MacUser was still in print and "wintel" was the common phrase for it.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free, extremely effective, and low-footprint. No need for Norton at all, which was always a pig.

How is Windows 7 frustrating compared to XP. What are your frustrations? You heard from somebody? You have had no frustrations from Ubuntu?

I dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu, love 'em both. Windows 7 is utterly rock solid, dependable, predictable. 10 years ago you might have had a point.

teh603
December 5th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Microsoft Security Essentials is free, extremely effective, and low-footprint. No need for Norton at all, which was always a pig.Norton gets installed by default on a surprising number of systems. It also can't be removed except by paying another couple of hundred to pay a tech support "administrator" to remove it, short of going nuclear with the System Restore DVD.

How is Windows 7 frustrating compared to XP. What are your frustrations? You heard from somebody? You have had no frustrations from Ubuntu?I've heard from a lot of people, actually. Features removed, features hidden, useless "features" added, and then let's not forget that little fiasco with Vista no longer using XP drivers. MS also changing the look and feel simply because they can and not because there's any valid reason to. One guy I know can't connect to a wifi network that uses Shared Key security because the option to select what kind of security it uses just isn't available at the front of things the way it is in Linux.

As for frustrations with Ubuntu, they're usually solved much quicker. Linux is a lot more user- serviceable than any version of Windows will ever be. There's usually either a solution in a config file somewhere, or a package in Synaptic.

I dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu, love 'em both. Windows 7 is utterly rock solid, dependable, predictable. 10 years ago you might have had a point.I suppose its predictable if you've trained on it, but there's a bunch of very good reason why people with XP are refusing to downgrade to 7.

paul_in_london
December 5th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Being in the GS camp, I think the launch of extensions.gnome.org is a good thing:

webupd8.org/2011/12/gnome-shell-extensions-website-launched.html

I don't use Unity, but I noticed this post aimed at 11.10 users:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-customise-unity-like-never-before/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

I'm not familiar with MyUnity (which I saw mentioned in this thread) so for Precise users MyUnity may be the sort of thing they were looking for.

sgage
December 5th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Norton gets installed by default on a surprising number of systems. It also can't be removed except by paying another couple of hundred to pay a tech support "administrator" to remove it, short of going nuclear with the System Restore DVD.

That's nonsensical - you have no idea what you're talking about.

As for frustrations with Ubuntu, they're usually solved much quicker. Linux is a lot more user- serviceable than any version of Windows will ever be. There's usually either a solution in a config file somewhere, or a package in Synaptic.

I suppose its predictable if you've trained on it, but there's a bunch of very good reason why people with XP are refusing to downgrade to 7.

Not so many. And it's not a downgrade, and in an hour or so you're up to speed with it. It's worlds better than XP, that's for sure. Faster, more secure, more stable, whatever.

And then there are the legions of people fleeing Ubuntu because of Unity. People are averse to change. Hell, I'm using Gnome Classic.

Look, I've been using and programming computers since 8-bit CP/M (actually my first computer was a Commodore PET in 77 - good ol' 6502 assembly language!). I remember when Microsoft's only product was MBASIC. And I've been using Linux since RedHat 4. I am a Linux booster when it's appropriate, but I am not anybody's fanboi, and I can't just let people spew nonsense without a bit of pushback. It doesn't help the cause, in the end. Sorry.

Simian Man
December 5th, 2011, 02:32 AM
If you want customizability, you should use KDE. Gnome can be customized through hacks and kludges, but KDE is customizable by design, through the GUI.

screaminj3sus
December 5th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Norton gets installed by default on a surprising number of systems. It also can't be removed except by paying another couple of hundred to pay a tech support "administrator" to remove it, short of going nuclear with the System Restore DVD.

Fresh installing windows from the cd is something you should do with any OEM system. Norton is only a small piece of the massive amount of crapware OEM's instal on their machines. I find most OEM installs unusable and always do a fresh install. A bloated OEM install is not a proper windows experience (but it is all too common).

sgage
December 5th, 2011, 02:39 AM
If you want customizability, you should use KDE. Gnome can be customized through hacks and kludges, but KDE is customizable by design, through the GUI.

No, the hooks are well planned and rational. KDE is a baroque mess.

paul_in_london
December 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
No, the hooks are well planned and rational. KDE is a baroque mess.

+1. No alternative is flawless, but I could never take to the behemoth that is KDE.

ilovelinux33467
December 5th, 2011, 03:13 AM
if you want customizability, you should use kde. Gnome can be customized through hacks and kludges, but kde is customizable by design, through the gui.

+1.

jerrylamos
December 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
ubuntu already pretty customizable with unity-3D, unity-2D, gnome-session-fallback, lubuntu, plus all the other versions just mentioned.

I've heard "mint" is based on ubuntu but haven't tried it since I've got enough to play with as is....

Jerry

philinux
December 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM
I think this thread has run it's course.

Myunity links for anyone not on precise yet.
Note:
MyUnity is a third-party application, not official part of the Unity project.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/myunity-is-a-small-simple-unity-tweaking-tool/

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/myunity-comprehensive-unity-tweak-for-ubuntu-11-04-and-11-10/