PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] MS Publisher .pub files

Glkanter
December 1st, 2011, 04:11 PM
From my googling and Ubuntu Software Center searching, I understand that there is no linux program for reading .pub files.

Am I correct that this is (still) the case?

Thanks,

Garry

chrisbarnes1992
December 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
I have been looking for a linux program for a while for publisher files. But im still not lucky.

Most of the time i needed to look and not edit the files so i converted them into a PDF here http://www.zamzar.com/. And used a PDf reader to have a look at the what was the .pub file.

There is an option to convert to and .odt file format so you could be able to edit it. However i have never tired this so i dont know the ending result.

Hope this helps.

haqking
December 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Publisher

Compatibility

Publisher's proprietary file format (.pub) is unsupported by almost all other applications, including other Microsoft products, although Corel Draw X4 features "open only" support. As such, Publisher is generally recognised to be of limited functionality where multiple-user electronic editing or dissemination is concerned. Adobe's PageMaker software saves files with a .pub extension but the two files are incompatible and unrelated. Publisher supports numerous other file formats, including the Enhanced Metafile (EMF) format which is supported on Windows platforms. The Microsoft Publisher trial version can be used to view .pub files beyond the trial period.[4

So EMF or run it under a VM as it is garbage in Wine, actually it is garbage in anything ;-)

Peace

shuttleworthwannabe
December 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM
Ask your friend (who is using Windows and MS Office) to send the document as a pdf file.

Glkanter
December 1st, 2011, 05:18 PM
Perfect!

I had asked him to 'convert' the file in some primitive, but workable ways about an hour ago.

But that zamzar puts the responsibility back on me, where it belongs. That should do the trick!

As always, thanks so much!!

Garry

farrinux
December 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
Perfect!

I had asked him to 'convert' the file in some primitive, but workable ways about an hour ago.

But that zamzar puts the responsibility back on me, where it belongs. That should do the trick!

As always, thanks so much!!

Garry

IMHO I believe if a a file is being shared or sent , for work or personal reasons, it ought to be sent in a format that the recipient can use. The monkey should never be on the recipients back, or in this case yours to be able to open it. Like they said above have them send as a pdf or have them use an app like open office.

Glkanter
December 1st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Great philosophical question, farrinux.

I may agree with you regarding this .pub format.

Otherwise, I think it's my responsibility to work within accepted 'standards'. The less troublesome I am to someone, the more likely they will respond when I have a problem that I cannot solve, rather than a problem I 'could' solve, but 'prefer' to not solve.

Thanks,

Garry