PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Undoing my actions

daus26
December 1st, 2011, 12:51 AM
MY FIRST THREAD-------

Hi guys, there is a question I need to ask everyone. I wanted to watch a movie, so I put it on to my laptop (Ubuntu was already installed) so I can watch it. a screen popped up and it said to pick which software I need to use. I There were 2 options I trusted:

Movie Player
VLC Media Player

I chose media player 'cause I use it very often. when I picked that one, there was a check box that said "Always perform this action" so I clicked on it. When I pressed okay, the media player opened up. One big problem though, the movie wasn't working, so I wanted to see if opening it up with movie player works. But I already chose "always perform this action". I also remembered that the movie had a menu in it (that had Play, Special Features, Scene Sections, etc). Here are my questions:

Is there any way to change my option to Movie Player?
Is there a way to watch a movie using VLC media player?

Thanks!!!

MoreOrLess
December 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM
Right-click the file, and use "open with other application", select Totem/Movie Player, and check the "Always perform this action" box.

daus26
December 1st, 2011, 01:01 AM
There is no dvd file. All it says is DVD on the launcher. and when I click on it, it opens up a window with audio or video files. No DVD file.

MoreOrLess
December 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM
What desktop environment are you using?

daus26
December 1st, 2011, 01:18 AM
Don't know what that is lol sorry, but I'm using Ubuntu 11.10, just in case you wanted to know.

MoreOrLess
December 1st, 2011, 02:08 AM
Click the Applications icon in the launcher.
From the Applications drop-down (upper right corner), select Themes & Tweaks.
From the Installed section, click the Show More Results link (see Figure 1).
Scroll down and click the Preferred Applications.

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/449936:configure-default-applications-for-gnome-and-kde-on-linux