PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] changes from lucid (10.04) to maveric (10.10)

ronacc
November 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
where can I find a list of the changes from lucid (10.04 ) to maveric (10.10 ) ? I am trying to chase down a difference in the way network drives are mounted . I know this is off topic for this forum but I think this is the best place to ask .

BC59
November 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM
You can compare the packages list of each version:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

ronacc
November 30th, 2011, 10:26 PM
thanks but I was hoping to narrow things down to a bit less than all available packages .

cariboo907
November 30th, 2011, 10:29 PM
The only thing I can see is that smbfs is deprecated, and cifs is used in its place, according to this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Samba/SambaClientGuide) wiki page. Assuming you're talking about Samba of course.

Edit: Macs also do NFS, at least my old iMac running OSX 10.4 does.

ronacc
November 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks cariboo907 , I think that may be it , atleast it gives me something to try .

ventrical
November 30th, 2011, 11:52 PM
My parts supplier set up a Samba server but I can't sell him on Ubuntu because he tried to set up a RAID drive and there was no way he could get it going, causing him a lot of downtime. If I find anything ronacc I'll chime in.

ronacc
December 1st, 2011, 12:23 AM
thanks , I'll be a little more specific about what I am trying to do / find . I got an apple timecapsule to use for backups of my apples and took the usb drive that I had been using for that and reformated it to fat32 and attached it to the timecapsule via usb as network storage , from anything later than lucid I can see the storage drive but not mount it UNLESS it has been first accessed by a system running lucid . So I am trying to figure out why first accessing it with lucid makes it available to later releases ( even if the lucid install is no longer running ). I'm thinking it either has to be a permission difference or the way that network drives are accessed .

cariboo907
December 1st, 2011, 12:34 AM
Have you tried NTFS, because vfat has that 4GiB file size limit.

effenberg0x0
December 1st, 2011, 12:44 AM
My parts supplier set up a Samba server but I can't sell him on Ubuntu because he tried to set up a RAID drive and there was no way he could get it going, causing him a lot of downtime. If I find anything ronacc I'll chime in.

My home-office server is a Ubuntu Server with two mdadm RAIDs:
- One RAID 1 for the OS itself (2x1500GB=1.5TB): Mounted /
- One RAID 6 for storage (6x1500GB SATA=6TB)? mount /media/home-office

I run smbd normally in the server. My desktop, other devices (laptops, smartphone, HTPC, etc) see and use the samba shares normally. I also have laser/inkjet printers and a scanner on this server, which are normally seen by users via CUPS over cifs.

This small server runs a bunch of other stuff: VPN, FTP, Apache, Postfix, Git, Usenet / Torrents, etc. Installing / settin-up daemons in Ubuntu is a breeze compared to what it was in the past.

There's a lot of instructions and tutorials, including Ubuntu documentation, on how to get a RAID up on Ubuntu. It's easy. samba/cifs installing requires one apt-get install. It's really no trouble at all. If you show him, he won't believe it can be so easy and quick.

effenberg0x0
December 1st, 2011, 12:59 AM
thanks , I'll be a little more specific about what I am trying to do / find . I got an apple timecapsule to use for backups of my apples and took the usb drive that I had been using for that and reformated it to fat32 and attached it to the timecapsule via usb as network storage , from anything later than lucid I can see the storage drive but not mount it UNLESS it has been first accessed by a system running lucid . So I am trying to figure out why first accessing it with lucid makes it available to later releases ( even if the lucid install is no longer running ). I'm thinking it either has to be a permission difference or the way that network drives are accessed .

Ronacc, how are you mounting? I ask because if you try via command line we should be able to get some feedback, like the specific error that is happening. I mean, if you try to mount it like:

sudo mkdir /media/mynas
sudo chown ronacc:root /media/mynas -R
sudo chmod 775 media/mynas -R
sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.101/"Ronacc's Time Capsule"/ronacc_share /media/mynas -o username=someUsername,password=somePassword,iochar set=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
Then it will output some cifs error code we can check to see whats happening. You can also check dmesg.

ronacc
December 1st, 2011, 01:02 AM
Have you tried NTFS, because vfat has that 4GiB file size limit.

I was about to do that when I accidentally discovered that I could access it from lucid and that made it accessible from later releases , why that was so got me curious so I have been chasing that , The access persists for a few hours but after that it has to be reaccessed with lucid . accessing from my macs does not make it accessible like from lucid .

ronacc
December 2nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
following a suggestion from cariboo907 I reformated the drive , but instead of NTFS I went whole hog and formatted it to Mac extended os , I didn't think Ubuntu would read this but either it will or the timecapsule translates it because now I can access read and write to it without first accessing it with lucid .