PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Install Cups-PDF

LoKi128
June 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
THIS TUTORIAL IS OUTDATED

Thanks to everyone from this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187516) for all their guidance. The sticking point in this whole process is that you need to be root to edit the permissions on the executable.

Install the cups-pdf package (I used version 2.2.0-1)
Go to System -> Administration -> Printing
Doubleclick "New Pinter"
Notice that there is no mention of a CUPS PDF printer
Open a terminal and tpe "sudo nautilus" and then your password
Go to Filesystem -> usr -> lib -> cups -> backend
Rightclick "cups-pdf" and select Properties
Go to the Permissions tab and click the "Set user ID" special flag
Again try to add a new printer
There is now a "PDF Printer" detected, select it
Select the Generic, Postscript Color Printer (Rev 3b)
Give it a name, like PDF Printer
Right click on the newly created printer, and select Properties
Click "Print a Test Page"
The file should be in your Home folder, under the PDF folder

jbaloul
June 5th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Dude thanks, just at the right time....

but you know, how are we supposed to ask grandma to do something like that...
stuff like this should be as simple as possible.

simplyw00x
June 5th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Once it's set up then it's easy to use. Would you really expect 'grandma' to install _any_ kind of printer, or a PDF printer on windows? Or know what a PDF is? Or know what a printer is?

On a related note, thanks for the HOWTO.

KillerBOB
June 6th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks for this, it's really useful. I hope this gets enabled by default in future Ubuntu releases.

Canguçu
June 7th, 2006, 03:07 AM
I hope this gets enabled by default in future Ubuntu releases.

Well, KillerBOB, I'm waiting for that since Warty... :(

sailorxyz
June 7th, 2006, 05:19 AM
Hi,
I am running a clean install of Dapper. There is no cups-pdf in my usr/lib/cups/backend. What now? :-(

Regards,

Paul

jbaloul
June 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I am running a clean install of Dapper. There is no cups-pdf in my usr/lib/cups/backend. What now? :-(

try this...

sudo updatedb
locate cups-pdf

if you still don't see it then...

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

like i said before, I wish for nuB user's sake, that this kinda stuff is to be enabled by default or "grandma" intuitive.

seuaniu
June 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Good howto - and easy as pie to do. This is an easy feature, that should be enabled by default though. I think Apple has it in OSX, so in order to compete on a feature to feature basis, we should have it too :D

simplyw00x
June 8th, 2006, 08:52 PM
seuaniu:
Look at any desktop OS. Is installing a PDF printer 'grandma intuitive'? No. If grandma can't follow a set of simple typed commands then grandma doesn't get PDF printing either way. Do you think 'grandma' even knows what a PDF _is_?

shuttleworthwannabe
June 8th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks worked like a charm! Poor Granny..leave her alone... ;-)

meng
June 8th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I'm sure some grandmas could do this. It's just a matter of how much they need to do it, and to what degree of "inconvenience" they'll tolerate in order to obtain the functionality.
Old != stupid

jimcooncat
June 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Guess we know who will be cooking the next holiday dinner!

Won't be granny, she'll be recompiling your kernel with funroll-loops.

jbaloul
June 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Guess we know who will be cooking the next holiday dinner!

Won't be granny, she'll be recompiling your kernel with funroll-loops.

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grandma-ubuntu-pdf-guru-hacker :p

henriquemaia
June 13th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Thanks for this guide.

elpresidente
June 16th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I am attempting to follow the guide. When I get to Step 2 of 2:Printer Driver, nothing shows up. Nothing in the dropdown for manufacturer or driver. I had previously installed a network printer through samba (brother mfc-8300),

Anyone have an idea how to get the default drivers to show?

mudra
June 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thank you worked like a dream on a fresh install of dapper.

Mudra

Franko30
June 19th, 2006, 02:41 PM
When I get to Step 2 of 2:Printer Driver, nothing shows up. Nothing in the dropdown for manufacturer or driver.
Anyone have an idea how to get the default drivers to show?

In the dropdown menu go to Generic and there you'll find the postscript etc rev3 printer.

@LoKi128:

Many thanks for this HOWTO!

I tried installing and changing file permissions according to the CUPS-PDF website http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/documentation.shtml but it didn't work...

Great to have a PDF-printer again in Dapper. :-)

Cheers

Franko30

unique
June 19th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Very cool! Thanks for this.
Grandma will be a happy camper once I do this for her!

maka
June 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Thanks for this guide!!! Great howto

Horizon
June 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Nice one, but it's a bit messy. Maybe you should use the code tags and give the precise commands (like apt-get install) to make it simpler. You could also use "sudo chmod +s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf" instead of using nautilus as suggested in the other post.

Franko30
June 20th, 2006, 12:33 PM
You could also use "sudo chmod +s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf" instead of using nautilus

Unfortunately I have to contradict that.

HOWTOs are mostly for people not that familiar with the Terminal and commandline stuff. So I think it's nice to see where in Nautilus you can do this sort of changes.

Maybe both (the chmod and nautilus versions) would be nice. ;-)

Cheers

Franko30

Horizon
June 20th, 2006, 04:07 PM

HOWTOs are mostly for people not that familiar with the Terminal and commandline stuff. So I think it's nice to see where in Nautilus you can do this sort of changes.

Well I'm sorry but there have been discussions about this before and it's pretty obvious copy and pasting one line into the command line is much easier and beats going through 10+ steps to get the same outcome. There's literally nothing that could go wrong. Ingoring the fact that explaining how to navigate through a gui can only be so precise, the less steps the better because there's less for them to screw up. What's the chance of them leaning on their keyboard by accident and deleting something important in nautilus compared to them screwing up a single copy and paste?

Also if you're using linux and aren't familiar with the command line well then now's the time to get familiar, not to mention people usually get familiar with the command line from following guides like those avaiilable on this forum. Now If you don't want or care for getting familiar with the command line then you better switch OS and stop wasting our time trying to help people who won't (read unwilling) even help themselves.

Sorry if I kind of sound a little annoyed. I think it's ok to try to avoid the command line, I just don't condone encouraging people to avoid it.

ubuntuuser
June 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Well I'm sorry but there have been discussions about this before and it's pretty obvious copy and pasting one line into the command line is much easier and beats going through 10+ steps to get the same outcome. There's literally nothing that could go wrong. Ingoring the fact that explaining how to navigate through a gui can only be so precise, the less steps the better because there's less for them to screw up. What's the chance of them leaning on their keyboard by accident and deleting something important in nautilus compared to them screwing up a single copy and paste?

Also if you're using linux and aren't familiar with the command line well then now's the time to get familiar, not to mention people usually get familiar with the command line from following guides like those avaiilable on this forum. Now If you don't want or care for getting familiar with the command line then you better switch OS and stop wasting our time trying to help people who won't (read unwilling) even help themselves.

Sorry if I kind of sound a little annoyed. I think it's ok to try to avoid the command line, I just don't condone encouraging people to avoid it.
I absolutely second what you say. I believe that it's pretty dangerous to tell a new user who is not used to linux in general and permissions in particular to open a nautilus window with root privileges. Just imagine what happens if he leaves it open for a while, then maybe forgets about this and starts to meddle with his system while trying to follow the latest tutorial. If the person is able to open a terminal and type sudo nautilus, then he is also able to copy/paste the chmod-line.
I am not saying that the average linux beginner will start to randomly delete directories in the / dir :-), but as always, safety first. Ever thought about a harmless exploit in nautilus that becomes severe once nautilus is run as root? Or maybe I'm just being paranoid :-) Just my 2 ct.

Mishal
June 26th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the howto :)

Is there anyway I can make the pdf printer to ask me where I want to save the file rather than doing it in the home folder directly?

waterzebra
June 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the guide. As a new ubuntu linux user, it's nice to be able to find how-to's for the important things !

ka1axy
June 27th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well done. Answers my question as to why the "PDF Printer" isn't detected by default.

Works exactly as described on my system which was upgraded from 5.10 to 6.06.

Thanks!
Peter

makoto149
June 28th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Great how-to. Works like a charm.

ounas
June 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks, this very helpfull.

Ounas

kleeman
June 29th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Did not work for me (nothing appears in the PDF subdirectory). I get the following message in
/var/log/cups/cups-pdf_log

[ERROR] failed to set file mode for PDF file (non fatal) (/home/richard/PDF/_howto__General_6_06_-_HOWTO__Install_Cups-PDF_-_Page_3_-_Ubuntu_Support_Forums.pdf)

Looks like some kind of wierd permissions issue

ls -al /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf reveals

-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 23120 2006-05-17 21:49 /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

Any ideas?

rdd
July 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM
The permissions look the same on my system. Not sure what that is. Bumping it for you hereby.

Anyway, I have put this in the wiki, because I didn't find anything to make this work in dapper anywhere in it before.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/forum/software/cups-pdf

klytu
July 3rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Great HOWTO!

I just posted a correction for the O'Reilly book "Ubuntu Hacks" Hack #26, "Make Your Own PDFs" citing this thread.

sabitha
July 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM
nice HOWTO........ btw how to make this work on network like my HPLaserjet-1010 do

skirkpatrick
July 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
You can probably share your PDF printer like any other.

sabitha
July 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM
i already do that, i know because i can see that printer (PDF printer & Laserjet-1010) on another computer but just PDF printer didnt do the job. PDF printer only can print from server not client.

william_nbg
July 6th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I'm having a strange problem here.

I had the cups-pdf running on Breezy and now wanted to set it up on Dapper.

I installed the cups-pdf and and can find it in the 'backend' directory, change the permissions as required, but it still doesn't show up as a detected printer???

Anyone have an idea or similar experience??

william_nbg
July 7th, 2006, 01:15 PM
OK, I found the problem. I'm having a conflict with my network printer. The printer hangs on my wife's computer (which is also Ubuntu) and I print over the cups network. If I turn that off, the pdf printer pops on. I have a vague idea how to correct this and I'll give it a shot this weekend.

lorris
July 9th, 2006, 05:04 AM
excellent howto! I used the pdf printer i installed to print a pdf of the howto for later use during installs :)

Ciao!

Lorris

mourad
July 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks to everyone from this thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=187516) for all their guidance. The sticking point in this whole process is that you need to be root to edit the permissions on the executable.

Doubleclick "New Pinter"

Yeah very simple and easy way .... However, I have a unique problem, I did not find "Printing" in the system "Administration" ... I don't have it ... Anypne can help telling me how to "Printing" in the system administration ...
Thanks....

luxaeternam
July 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Works like a dream - thank you very much :KS

froggay
July 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM
ok, nice, the virual pdf printer work fine from local and remote.

But there's no /etc/cups-pdf.conf

how do i change the default pdf output location ?

kleeman
July 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
ok, nice, the virual pdf printer work fine from local and remote.

But there's no /etc/cups-pdf.conf

how do i change the default pdf output location ?
For future reference use synaptic to find where this file really is:
/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf

froggay
July 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM
sorry i made a mistake in the path.

i tried to copy a template cups-pdf.conf (from cups-pdf website)
to /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf

and changed the "Out"
restart the daemon with /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

but it seems that the /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf is not parsed !
my pdf still going to /home/$USER

what's the problem ?

Hexx
July 18th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Can anyone tell me how to get CUPS-PDF working under Xubuntu?

Cephus
July 21st, 2006, 04:41 AM

Doubleclick "New Pinter"

First off, thanks so much for the how-to! This works beautifully! I have a couple additional questions, however. As a Windows convert to Linux, the previous PDF driver (not Adobe) I used allowed appending to the beginning or end of the created document, altering its quality and therefore file size, etc. Do such options exist with this listed setup?

Thanks!

Cephus

oskvaz
July 21st, 2006, 07:22 PM
Thank you Loki, good howto!

;)

leohart
July 27th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for How-to. Was wondering around how to do that this morning.

A quick question is : why does cups-pdf need SetUID? Doesn't that mean whenever cups-pdf is run, it will run under root priviledges?

Why does it need root priviledge? It is putting the file in my $HOME so if I run it, it should be able to write to my $HOME right?

TuxCrafter
July 29th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I use xubuntu and i dont have the gnome printer dialog i use the cups webinterface : http://localhost:631/

Can somebody post these files with a working pdf-printer
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf
/etc/cups/printers.conf

thx

Jose Catre-Vandis
August 6th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I have used Cups PDF printer from the beginning :-) Can anyone advise, however, why the output is not machine readable? I'll explain. Open up one of your created pdfs in Adobe reader and then using the Select tool, grab some text, copy and past it into your text editor. You should see a row of little boxes with numbers and letters inside, and not the text you copied. This doesn't happen with "proper" pdfs? Any clues?

TuxCrafter
August 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I believe cups-pdf uses postscript to genarate pdf, however i am not sure. I have also problems with evence and printing if i generate a pdf with tranparent images (alpha layer) evence cant print them correctly) acrobat can.

So there are diffrences between the engines that are used.

neohawkeye
August 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Excellent thanks for this thread I have now got PDF up and running in no time.

TuxCrafter
August 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Can someone rewrite this howto to work with te cups web interface?
I use xubuntu and it is some what diffrent than the gnone print tool.

louaym
August 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Thanks for this, it's really useful.

tvor
August 31st, 2006, 02:00 PM
This was the most helpfull clear and straight forward help I got ever! Thank you worked straight and really well. (but really why isn't this enabled by default?) :-P

vgeneral
September 1st, 2006, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the great How-To.

pwk
September 2nd, 2006, 03:37 AM
For Xubuntu, install cups-pdf then use

sudo chmod +s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

A virtual printer should appear in the printer manager (see the Desktop Guide documentation link on the default browser page for accessing the printer manager).

Step through the set-up as for a normal printer. I used a generic PS/Foomatic printer option that seems to work OK.

Set additional printer options in the printer tab. For web page options like background printing, use the browser page set-up dialogue.

TuxCrafter
September 2nd, 2006, 08:30 AM
sudo chmod +s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

Thx this was helpfull

Anduu
September 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Good stuff :KS

yopnono
September 3rd, 2006, 01:59 AM
Or you can use this latest version of cups-pdf and if will fix everything.

Just install it. And stay happy....

Anduu
September 3rd, 2006, 03:05 AM
Or you can use this latest version of cups-pdf and if will fix everything.

Just install it. And stay happy....

I can't speak for the others but I like to keep my system as "stock" as possible.I don't mind using third party software and apps of course;however for core system stuff I won't go outside the repos.

yopnono
September 3rd, 2006, 08:29 AM
I can't speak for the others but I like to keep my system as "stock" as possible.I don't mind using third party software and apps of course;however for core system stuff I won't go outside the repos.

I agree with you about this. Anyhow you can always check the deb before installing it. This deb include the latest cups-pdf.

And also it have the permission fixed. (it set the permission to "user id" during install.

techstop
September 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Just found this HOWTO, works great, cheers!

NewbieLearnLinux
September 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Sorry to ask but why do we need to install this Cups-PDF ?

froggay
September 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
cups-pdf is only necessary if you want to print to a pdf file

in my case i have sun an hp boxes ( cad station ) and i don't want to install a pdf printer on each box.

So i have installed a pdf printer on the linux box with cups and cups-lpd so that i can directly send task to this spooler from all the cad workstation.

it was working fine with ubuntu 4.1, and now i'm trying to migrate to 6.06 on a sparc machine (without gnome)

yopnono
September 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Sorry to ask but why do we need to install this Cups-PDF ?

The deb I provided is for people that just like to install the cups-pdf and have it working directly without having to sett permission and stuff.

It does the same as installing from synaptic and setting the permission yourself

techstop
September 12th, 2006, 01:35 PM
A more general response is that cups-pdf lets you print from an application to a pdf file rather than a physical printer.

mssever
September 12th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the HOWTO. I have a couple of questions, though:

First, why on earth does this backend have to be setuid root? None of the other backends are, so it must be poorly-designed software--especially as most *nix programs go out of their way to avoid setuid root.

How come the deb doesn't set the proper permissions? The whole point of a package is to set everything up automatically. I shouldn't have to read a HOWTO.

yopnono
September 12th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the HOWTO. I have a couple of questions, though:

First, why on earth does this backend have to be setuid root? None of the other backends are, so it must be poorly-designed software--especially as most *nix programs go out of their way to avoid setuid root.

How come the deb doesn't set the proper permissions? The whole point of a package is to set everything up automatically. I shouldn't have to read a HOWTO.

I think it's on ubuntu you need to set user id.
If you read the makers website you don't need to do that, but on ubuntu yes... don't know why. You don't need to do that on Fedora 5

http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/

NewbieLearnLinux
September 14th, 2006, 10:28 AM
A more general response is that cups-pdf lets you print from an application to a pdf file rather than a physical printer.

Thanks for answering. I thought OpenOffice.org could export doccuments to PDF files ...

techstop
September 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks for answering. I thought OpenOffice.org could export doccuments to PDF files ...

It sure does, but other applications don't have that feature, therefore the need for cups-pdf.

NewbieLearnLinux
September 14th, 2006, 02:11 PM
I had used PDFCreator on Windoze but I rarely used it after I installed OOo-win. Nevertheless this HowTo is a nice one ...

factor
September 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hi, i'm using 64 bits ubuntu and i have downloaded the cups-pdf package v2.4.1-1 from the debian.org repository, i have followed your instructions but the printer doesn't appear as detected, do you have any idea on how to get it to work?

Regards.

Danny Boy
September 14th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Excellent How-To Thanks :)

froggay
September 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Hi, i'm using 64 bits ubuntu and i have downloaded the cups-pdf package v2.4.1-1 from the debian.org repository, i have followed your instructions but the printer doesn't appear as detected

i have the same problem on a sun sparc server, i've used apt-get install cups-pdf and the printer pdf:/ does not appear.

So if you find a way, can you post a message here please

mkw87
September 21st, 2006, 03:31 AM
I managed to get cups-pdf to work in Edgy. Instead of root-nautilus'ing and changing properties, simply open a gnome terminal and execute the following:

“sudo chmod +s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf”

EddyMac
September 24th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Doubleclick "New Pinter"

Thanks for this, it worked perfectly and allowed me to print off a rather important job application form. That's another small step towards getting everything working just the way I want it. Aren't these forums wonderful?

makadam
October 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Thanks for this HOWTO. It helps me always to redo the CUPS-PDF installation.

A. J. Rimmer
October 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the help. Now I can save all the great things I find on the Ubuntu Forum (such as this how-to) as PDF documents rather than HTML files (which entails keeping track of both the page and the associated folder of images, etc.), and am seldom connected to a printer with this laptop anyway, (since I tend to use it mostly at away-from-home WiFi spots).

Thanks again!

cemptor
November 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks. It works in Edgy, without setting the setuid bit.

However, can anyone help me with the following (open to other packages)

1. Change the filename and location of the printed PDF file, instead of a fixed one. It picks up the title of the page as filename and puts in in $HOME/PDF. I want to choose the location everytime

2. If I try "Print to File", it lets me choose the name and location, but prints the file as a postscriptfile, and not pdf. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I have Edgy 386 standard installation

yopnono
November 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM
You will find the settings in the cups config file

/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf

cemptor
November 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM
You will find the settings in the cups config file

/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf

I did look, but couldn't find any options to let me set the path to be variable. I can change the path to another fixed one, but I want it to be prompted everytime I print (just as in ghostscript on windows)

I changed the TitlePref key to 1, but it still doesn't ask for a filename. What other value could I give it?

kkarim
December 9th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks a lot dude! worked great! :)

shakyone
December 21st, 2006, 02:47 AM
Just an update to this page. With Edgy Eft, step 8 is the "Emblems" tab. Check the icon labeled "Special" then continue with the procedure.

kpictjl
December 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM
When I add PDF-Printer to my windows xp machine to print to pdf across my network it sort of works. It prints a pdf file to /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS/ instead of a home directory. Plus, it cuts off about 1/2 inch off the side of the each page.

I'm guessing there is a setting that would allow the output of an anonymous pdf print job to go somewhere else. Where do I find that setting?

Also, I'm guessing I'm not using the correct print driver. WinXP doesn't have the rev3b (or whatever) printer. I tried several of the "Generic" XP drivers but none of them call themselves postcript. I currently use "MS Publisher Color Printer", but that doesn't work right.

Any help is appreciated.

kpictjl
December 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I've answered my own questions.

Here is the cups-pdf project home page (near as I can tell).
http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/welcome.shtml

The documentation is here...
http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/documentation.shtml

I'm guessing there is a setting that would allow the output of an anonymous pdf print job to go somewhere else. Where do I find that setting?

In the following file

/etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf
Change the following line from this

#AnonDirName /var/spool/cups-pdf/ANONYMOUS
to something like this

AnonDirName /home/public/PDF
Note that I have /home/public shared out to anyone on my home network so that's good place to dump the pdfs.

Also, I'm guessing I'm not using the correct print driver. WinXP doesn't have the rev3b (or whatever) printer. I tried several of the "Generic" XP drivers but none of them call themselves postcript. I currently use "MS Publisher Color Printer", but that doesn't work right.

Per the documentation...

From the cups-pdf documentation, "On the Windows, OS/2 or MacOS system choose a color postscript driver for that network printer (the drivers for Minolta Page Works or HP DesignJet printers do a good job)."
I selected this printer, "Minolta Color PageWorks/Pro PS", and it works fine.

l951b951
January 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Thank you for this HOWTO. Less than 5 minutes and I can create PDFs now. You are my hero!

bodhi.zazen
January 11th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Nice How-to

This thread has been added to the UDSF wiki.

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Print_to_PDF_with_CUPS

chrismyers
January 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cheers...

This is an update for Edgy:

1. Install the cups-pdf package
2. Go to System -> Administration -> Printing
3. Doubleclick "New Pinter"
4. There is now a "PDF Printer" detected, select it
5. Select the Generic, Postscript Color Printer (Rev 3b)
6. Give it a name, like PDF Printer
7. Right click on the newly created printer, and select Properties
8. Click "Print a Test Page"
9. The file should be in your Home folder, under the PDF folder

This has less steps than the original because Edgy appears to handle cups-pdf better. :mrgreen:

SpEcIeS
January 18th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Nice and simple Howto. Worked really well. :)

nrayever
January 21st, 2007, 12:23 AM
This is one of the most helpful howto's i have ever read!! and this is because some wine appz have problems printing to wine printer, this solves everything!! :lolflag: :lolflag:

tombott
January 22nd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Cheers for this guide, working a treat under Edgy.

Hishgraphics
January 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Excellent HOWTO.

I have to say that this is one of the reasons why my post count is so low. Whatever I needs, I searches. And there be the solution!

Great work.

hanexar
January 25th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Wow, with Edgy it worked out of the box. Install the package and add the printer. Done, easier than ever.\\:D/

jaddi27
January 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I have installed CUPS-PDF as per your instructions, but when I print anything the resulting PDF file is blank. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

I am running Ubuntu Edgy.

Joel

jaddi27
January 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Forget about my last post. I found a newer version of CUPS-PDF and installed it and it worked fine.

notasquirrel
January 30th, 2007, 11:38 PM

Cheers

Franko30

Would like to comment (hoping nobody else said the same thing in the pages I didn't read... :-k )

Edgy does not seem to have the button mentioned in the howto in Nautilus. No option for the setuid flag. I'm pretty competent with a command line, but still don't know exactly what that flag does, and it seems Nautilus doesn't have it any more.

So, in my situation, I still need the howto but the GUI directions caused extra confusion until I flipped through several pages of reply posts. I assume that happened because the howto was written for a different blend of Ubuntu. (Like they ALL seem to be through Google.)

I appreciate the movement to make things easier to use in linux, but go too far and you have the opposite effect. Like those printers that only have one button now, so you sit there poking at it trying to figure out how to print a test page because the only options are on/off and page-feed, and turns out you have to hold combinations of buttons down until lights blink or un/reinstall the cartridges, or attach it to a computer and find it in software. Not easier!

I have the same problem with the screensaver window. For some reason, between Dapper and Edgy they took out the "screensaver options" button so I'm stuck with default behavior on all of them until I can figure out how to change things. Less buttons? yes. Less options? yes. Easier? No!

Command-line will always work the way it's written so IMO that is MUCH easier.

xurizaemon
February 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Hi, this didn't work for me (Edgy Eft; no printer drivers appeared in add printer dialog)

So I did it like this:

In Terminal,

sudo apt-get -uf install cups-pdf
sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

Is the chmod u+s still required?
In browser, visit http://localhost:631
In the CUPS web admin interface, complete the next few steps:

Click Add Printer. You will be asked for a username/password that has admin rights for printers on your Ubuntu machine.
Add New Printer: Enter "PDFPrinter" for name, and any values you like for Location and Description
Device: Select "Virtual Printer"
Make/Manufacturer: Select "Generic"
Model/Driver: Select "Generic Postscript Printer Foomatic/Postscript (recommended) en"
Set your preferred PDF options (eg page size, A4 for me)

This worked fine for me. Hope it helps someone else too!

I can confirm that in Edgy, the setuid button has vanished. But it didn't matter for me as sudo chmod u+s filename is quicker to type than sudo nautilus ... clickety clickety and has less chance of being f*cked up.

This HOWTO might therefore need an update, although I guess not everyone has the "no printer drivers in Gnome Printer Admin" problem that I have :)

xurizaemon
February 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
Can someone rewrite this howto to work with te cups web interface?

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2101876#post2101876 sure thing TuxCrafter :)

bikeman
February 10th, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm running Edgy and Cups-PDF installed very easily and runs fine, in Linux. However, when I try to open the saved pdf file on a Windows machine with Adobe Acrobat 5 (full) or Adobe Reader (versions 7 and up), the file will not open and Adobe gives an error that the file is corrupted. The file still opens just fine in Linux. Is there a setting I missed? While I can open the files (at home), I cannot share them or open them at work. Thanks!

Jose Catre-Vandis
February 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
On my new Edgy install I followed the howto, but I do not see a PDF Printer avaialble to select ? Similarly if I try the CUPS web interface there is no selection for Virtual printer.

Edgy failed to detect my HP deskjet 720C as well (although it did see it in dmesg, it failed to come up in Cups.

This is what file permissions are like:

jose@edgy:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ls -l
total 216
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7199 2006-09-22 05:39 beh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10184 2006-10-20 19:03 bluetooth
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10508 2006-09-27 11:41 canon
-rwsrwsrwx 1 jose root 23824 2006-10-03 13:07 cups-pdf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10604 2006-09-27 11:41 epson
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20496 2006-10-13 18:36 hp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9012 2006-10-13 18:36 hpfax
-rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 23452 2006-10-09 17:56 http
-rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 23452 2006-10-09 17:56 ipp
-rwsr-xr-- 2 root lp 16712 2006-10-09 17:56 lpd
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12732 2006-10-09 17:56 parallel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2007-02-07 18:33 smb -> ../../../bin/smbspool
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 9868 2006-10-09 17:56 socket
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 13996 2006-10-09 17:56 usb

Any help on how to get the PDF Printer to show up?

[EDIT]
In the meantime have found a workaround.

install kdeprint

sudo aptitude install kdeprint
using firefox:

File > Print > Select default printer > Properties > type "kdeprint" (in the command line box, no quotes)

Click OK > Tick the print to File box > Print > enter your file name > Save

You will now have a postscript file in your home folder

Next, download the attached script, unzip it, and place it in your nautilus scripts folder
Set as executable
It should now show up in your Right Click on file > Scripts list

Right Click on your recently saved postscript file > Scripts > ps2pdf

A pdf will be created and your postscript file will be deleted

quiller
February 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM
This is clearly a larger issue than just printing to a PDF, but when I try to add a new printer (from System>Admin>Printing), gnome-cups-add hangs every time. I can force-quit the window and try again, but it will always crash. Are there logs somewhere that might help? Can I try to install/upgrade cups to solve a hypothetical already-solved bug?

wgandhi
February 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'm running Edgy and Cups-PDF installed very easily and runs fine, in Linux. However, when I try to open the saved pdf file on a Windows machine with Adobe Acrobat 5 (full) or Adobe Reader (versions 7 and up), the file will not open and Adobe gives an error that the file is corrupted. The file still opens just fine in Linux. Is there a setting I missed? While I can open the files (at home), I cannot share them or open them at work. Thanks!

I have the same problem. Generated PDF does not work with Adobe Acrobat reader

Jose Catre-Vandis
February 18th, 2007, 06:32 PM
On my new Edgy install I followed the howto, but I do not see a PDF Printer avaialble to select ? Similarly if I try the CUPS web interface there is no selection for Virtual printer.

Edgy failed to detect my HP deskjet 720C as well (although it did see it in dmesg, it failed to come up in Cups.

This is what file permissions are like:

jose@edgy:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ls -l
total 216
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7199 2006-09-22 05:39 beh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10184 2006-10-20 19:03 bluetooth
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10508 2006-09-27 11:41 canon
-rwsrwsrwx 1 jose root 23824 2006-10-03 13:07 cups-pdf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10604 2006-09-27 11:41 epson
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20496 2006-10-13 18:36 hp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9012 2006-10-13 18:36 hpfax
-rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 23452 2006-10-09 17:56 http
-rwxr-xr-x 3 root root 23452 2006-10-09 17:56 ipp
-rwsr-xr-- 2 root lp 16712 2006-10-09 17:56 lpd
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 12732 2006-10-09 17:56 parallel
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 2007-02-07 18:33 smb -> ../../../bin/smbspool
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 9868 2006-10-09 17:56 socket
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 13996 2006-10-09 17:56 usb

Any help on how to get the PDF Printer to show up?

[EDIT]
In the meantime have found a workaround.

install kdeprint

sudo aptitude install kdeprint
using firefox:

File > Print > Select default printer > Properties > type "kdeprint" (in the command line box, no quotes)

Click OK > Tick the print to File box > Print > enter your file name > Save

You will now have a postscript file in your home folder

Next, download the attached script, unzip it, and place it in your nautilus scripts folder
Set as executable
It should now show up in your Right Click on file > Scripts list

Right Click on your recently saved postscript file > Scripts > ps2pdf

A pdf will be created and your postscript file will be deleted

[RESOLVED]
(For Edgy)
Downloaded and installed the experimental cups-pdf package from Debian, and instantly has a pdf printer show up in "New Printers". get it here:
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fc%2Fcups-pdf%2Fcups-pdf_2.4.3-1_i386.deb&md5sum=758bbec4a0908874cf218e2d32950b9e&arch=i386&type=main

or follow links to the experiemental deb from here:
http://www.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~vrbehr/cups-pdf/download.shtml

And finally:

If you want to change the output directory for your PDFs:

sudo nano /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf

Scroll down to where it says:

Out ${HOME}/PDF

Change this to whatever you want, e.g.

Out /mypdfs
and save the file. No apparent need to restart the cupsys service.

jharbert
February 22nd, 2007, 02:01 AM
This worked fine for me. Hope it helps someone else too!

Worked great! Thanks!!

fulanodetal316
February 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Gotta say, this was pretty easy for me, I have been running Edgy for about a week or so and am really new to Linux and I had no problem. BTW: I didn't have to set any flags, it just came right up so I guess your wish came true.

fifth
March 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the how-to, works great for me with a couple of wee exceptions;

1. Had to use the generic postscript driver the other PCL 3,4,5 did not work, they just gave a blank pdf file.

2. I have not been able to print from any Java apps. This gives the same problem as above with an empty pdf file. Took a bit of work to get it that far tho, was originally getting an error message of no print service.

If anyone can shed light on printing from Java I would be very grateful :)

Chris.

ps this might not be a cups-pdf problem, since i don't have any real printers on this pc to check.

sero
April 28th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the great tutorial. Although for U7.04 I did not need to do the permission adjustments, the PDF Printer showed up right after I did "sudo apt-get cups-pdf", which I believe does make adding a PDF Printer quite grandma friendly.

mmendez
May 7th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks. It works in Edgy, without setting the setuid bit.

However, can anyone help me with the following (open to other packages)

1. Change the filename and location of the printed PDF file, instead of a fixed one. It picks up the title of the page as filename and puts in in $HOME/PDF. I want to choose the location everytime

2. If I try "Print to File", it lets me choose the name and location, but prints the file as a postscriptfile, and not pdf. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I have Edgy 386 standard installation

Anybody find the solution to this? This would be the icing on the cake for this howto. I for example have different folders for different things that I regularly print with pdf as I am sure many of you do too. What a pain it is to have to use mv or cp or have to go through and find it then travel through my lan and place it where I want it, when this could be done from the beginning.

thanks

heliopaixao
July 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM

I have the same problem. Generated PDF does not work with Adobe Acrobat reader

I was generating pdf files using firefox and was selecting "Print to file" box to indicate pathname of generated file - this was causing the problem. I have generated without select this box and the the pdf file was generated on default path (in my case {HOME}/Desktop). This way the pdf file is opened by acrobat reader at windows.

paguilera
July 11th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Thank you very much for this HOWTO. I followed most every step with the exception of using Nautilus to change the permissions on the file. I didn't see that option in the permissions tab so I used the command shown in post 20 instead. Worked like a charm.

Thanks to all who helped with this HOWTO.

perspectoff
August 20th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I using Feisty 7.04. When I go to the Permissions tab for cups-pdf backend, iIdo not see a "Set User ID" tag.

Other ideas?

Doubleclick "New Pinter"

mssever
August 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I using Feisty 7.04. When I go to the Permissions tab for cups-pdf backend, iIdo not see a "Set User ID" tag.

That seems to have been changed for some people. I have such an option when I run Nautilus as my normal user, but not when I run it as root. I don't know what's different.

The checkbox "Allow executing file as program" seems to be relevant here, but but I'm not sure what it means. Nautilus clearly is inventing their own terminology rather than using the terminology everybody else uses.

You can make it setuid from the terminal like this:
sudo chmod 4755 /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf Read
man chmod for an explanation of what those numbers mean.

Franko30
August 20th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Other ideas?

Hi,

when I installed 7.04 I didn't need to change any permissions - the PDF-printer showed up right after installing CUPS-PDF.

Maybe the 1st post of this thread needs to be updated (again).

Cheers

Franko30

ntlam
August 31st, 2007, 06:41 AM
Hi,

when I installed 7.04 I didn't need to change any permissions - the PDF-printer showed up right after installing CUPS-PDF.

Maybe the 1st post of this thread needs to be updated (again).

Cheers

Franko30

I just installed cups-pdf on feisty. the 1st post was definitely old and did not apply. However I dont see PDF printer either.

mishu
September 3rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
HI,

I installed cups-pdf on ubuntu 7.04.
I have an aplication installed with wine.
I can`t print from wine to pdf printer.

Can you help me?

thank you

talkout
October 9th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Thnaks a lot... this works fine...

spesheled1
October 26th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for this info. It works perfectly.

ugm6hr
November 19th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Only Steps 2, 10-15 are necessary for Ubuntu7.10.

EDIT: The following line is incorrect - see entries below.
I did have to manually create the Folder "PDF" in my home directory too.

Franko30
November 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I did have to manually create the Folder "PDF" in my home directory too.

Hi,

did you do it before you printed your first PDF?

On my system the PDF folder was created the first time I printed with Cups-PDF.

Cheers

Frank

ugm6hr
November 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hi,

did you do it before you printed your first PDF?

On my system the PDF folder was created the first time I printed with Cups-PDF.

Cheers

Frank

I tried printing a "Test" page, which didn't work. Then I created the folder, and printed a webpage - which worked.

Given your comment - I've just tried another "Test" page - which didn't work again, so presumably it was the Test page printing function that failed, and not cups-pdf. Sorry for the confusion. I will re-edit my previous post.

labinnsw
November 24th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I am using Gutsy Gibbon

After step 5, I get the following in the terminal

labinnsw@labinnsw-desktop:~$ sudo nautilus
[sudo] password for labinnsw:
Initializing gnome-mount extension
/usr/share/themes/LegacyHuman/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:55: Clearlooks configuration option "sunkenmenu" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/LegacyHuman/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:56: Clearlooks configuration option "menuitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/LegacyHuman/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:57: Clearlooks configuration option "listviewitemstyle" is not supported and will be ignored.

and the attached roof file browser window.

If I continue to step 6, I get the attached cups pdf properties window.

Any suggestions.

ugm6hr
November 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I am using Gutsy Gibbon

After step 5, I get the following in the terminal

Any suggestions.

Have a look at my post above re: Gutsy:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3799857&postcount=117

labinnsw
November 30th, 2007, 03:33 PM
After doing step 2 and steps 10-15, the test page does not print. A window pops up which says "Test page submitted as job 170." I click OK and nothing happens.

So I try printing a page from firefox, and a window pops up which says "Progress: preparing..." then closes after a while. In the document print status window, the status of the job is held. I select the job and releases it. The status changes temporarily to processing and then reverts to held. I do this 4 times and after the 4th attempt, it dissapears.

I go to the PDF directory and no new job is there. The last job was created October 6 (prior to my upgrade to Gutsy).

The cups-pdf_log looks like this (only larger):

Fri Nov 30 11:43:58 2007 [ERROR] failed to open spoolfile (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/cups2pdf-7127)
Fri Nov 30 11:44:07 2007 [ERROR] failed to open spoolfile (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/cups2pdf-7129)
Fri Nov 30 11:44:56 2007 [ERROR] failed to open spoolfile (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/cups2pdf-7163)
Fri Nov 30 11:45:10 2007 [ERROR] failed to open spoolfile (/var/spool/cups-pdf/SPOOL/cups2pdf-7165)

Any suggestions?

labinnsw
December 1st, 2007, 12:58 PM
This problem is still not solved, does anyone have any further ideas?

ashikahamed
December 1st, 2007, 07:32 PM
I installed cups-pdf as per the instructions from this forum.The test page is printed in the roots folder '/root/PDF' instead of my home folder.Any solution for this problem?

mssever
December 2nd, 2007, 04:30 AM
I installed cups-pdf as per the instructions from this forum.The test page is printed in the roots folder '/root/PDF' instead of my home folder.Any solution for this problem?

Probably the process you were printing from was owned by root.

ashikahamed
December 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
The test page is owned by root and so it was printed in the roots home folder.Its works perfectly for files owned by me.Thankyou

rbil49
December 5th, 2007, 02:42 AM
I've struggled with this and have been unable to get it working properly in 7.10. I have such a beast working fine in Edgy. So somethings broke and I have yet to figure out what.

What I've resorted to doing is to print to file, so that I get a PS file in my ~/PDF directory. Then I run a Nautilus script I wrote on the PS file and convert it to a PDF. A bit of a hassle.

So when people say it works for them, I'd sure like to know the secret. :-)

Cheers.

mssever
December 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
So when people say it works for them, I'd sure like to know the secret. :-)

My secret is to install cups-pdf, add the printer, and do nothing special. :) Sorry it doesn't work for you.

rbil49
December 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
My secret is to install cups-pdf, add the printer, and do nothing special. :) Sorry it doesn't work for you.

So am I. Man, I can't believe the number of little gotchas like this I'm finding in Gutsy. Previous versions have all worked so fine. This has become quite disappointing.

Cheers.

tyk
December 5th, 2007, 11:00 PM
ahh.. blessings to you people :)
now i have pdfs from my CAD dwgs, up to A3 size; exactly what i need
manny mannny thanks

labinnsw
December 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I have found a solution to my problem. Before I give the solution, I would like to briefly describe what my problem was and how it started.

I had a working Feisty and upgraded to Gutsy. After that I could no longer print to PDF. I read and followed the instructions from various posts and nothing changed until last night. I found a post at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/152537 about an unrelated matter. I tried one of the solutions offered there "sudo aa-complain cupsd" and the problem was immediately fixed.

It may or may not work for you. If it does work I would like to know.

marym
December 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
"Go to the Permissions tab and click the "Set user ID" special flag"

I cannot find the Set User Id special flag.

Any ideas? (I am using Feisty)

Many thanks

Mary

mssever
December 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
"Go to the Permissions tab and click the "Set user ID" special flag"

I cannot find the Set User Id special flag.

Any ideas? (I am using Feisty)

Many thanks

Mary

I think that step is no longer necessary in Feisty. At any rate, it appears that the setuid option has been removed from Nautilus. You can check the permissions by typing
ls -l /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf and see if there's an s in the first field (something like this: -rwsr-xr--) If not, you can set the permissions from the terminal thus:
sudo chmod 4755 /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

ciaran.mooney
December 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hi,

Thanks for helping Marym. She is my mother, and if it wasn't for this forum I'm sure I'd be getting a lot more phonecalls asking for help.

Cheers for keeping me less stressed.

Ciarán

marym
December 8th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Sorted and thank you all. :popcorn:

And don't believe everything Ciarán says - he loves getting calls from me really.

MaryM

stoian
December 31st, 2007, 03:13 AM
Thank you very much for the original posting, it made my day!

A note for linux users who would like to use the command line for setting the user id flag in permissions instead of using Nautilus in sudo mode - one can do the same thing by issuing this command:

sudo chmod u+s /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf

ali80
March 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I've just tested it on PARSIX and it works fine.;)
many thanks to ubuntu community :D>

asaz989
March 22nd, 2008, 05:23 AM
I have found a solution to my problem. Before I give the solution, I would like to briefly describe what my problem was and how it started.

I had a working Feisty and upgraded to Gutsy. After that I could no longer print to PDF. I read and followed the instructions from various posts and nothing changed until last night. I found a post at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ys/+bug/152537 about an unrelated matter. I tried one of the solutions offered there "sudo aa-complain cupsd" and the problem was immediately fixed.

Yeah, that worked for me. Thanks! (Although from what I see on that launchpad bug report, I might have to make this a startup action, as setting aa-complain might not stick after restart

nhomar
March 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks to everyone from this thread for all their guidance. The sticking point in this whole process is that you need to be root to edit the permissions on the executable.

1. Install the cups-pdf package (I used version 2.2.0-1)
2. Go to System -> Administration -> Printing
3. Doubleclick "New Pinter"
4. Notice that there is no mention of a CUPS PDF printer
5. Open a terminal and tpe "sudo nautilus" and then your password
6. Go to Filesystem -> usr -> lib -> cups -> backend
7. Rightclick "cups-pdf" and select Properties
8. Go to the Permissions tab and click the "Set user ID" special flag
9. Again try to add a new printer
10. There is now a "PDF Printer" detected, select it
11. Select the Generic, Postscript Color Printer (Rev 3b)
12. Give it a name, like PDF Printer
13. Right click on the newly created printer, and select Properties
14. Click "Print a Test Page"

Hi.
A can't install a follow this steps but in the 8th step "Set User Id" isn't, I tried change the permissions to my user and when a go to the 9th step there is no mention of a CUPS PDF printer again.
After i changed the permissions i restart "sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart" can you help me please.

Gen2ly
March 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Also too a person can use "Print to File" and output to postscript, then use ps2pdf to convert it. Worked better for me than cups-pdf with a couple images in gimp.

mssever
March 26th, 2008, 03:13 AM
A can't install a follow this steps but in the 8th step "Set User Id" isn't, I tried change the permissions to my user and when a go to the 9th step there is no mention of a CUPS PDF printer again.
After i changed the permissions i restart "sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart" can you help me please.

The directions in this thread are very outdated. Dapper (6.06) is the last version they apply to. The permissions that the deb sets are fine; no need to mess with them. On Gutsy, /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf should be owned by root:root with permissions 0700. In other words,
cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
sudo chown root:root cups-pdf
sudo chmod 700 cups-pdf (This is only to undo the changes you made; if you hadn't messed with it, there would be no need to make changes.)

Then, simply add the printer as described in the post.

ACGarland
April 29th, 2008, 07:07 AM
I read and followed the instructions from various posts and nothing changed until last night. I found a post at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/152537 about an unrelated matter. I tried one of the solutions offered there "sudo aa-complain cupsd" and the problem was immediately fixed.

Thanks for posting this -- it also allowed my cups-pdf to finally place documents in ~/PDF whereas before they remained 'held' and never generated a file.

judits
May 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Hello!

I read all the posts in this thread hoping someone else had the same problem and had solved it, but it seems I'm the only one who has this problem.

I've just upgraded my dist to Hardy, and I've installed the cups-pdf package.

Following the tutorial, I try to add a new printer, but:

1- I choose the Generic printer and then I have to choose the model, but I have no model called postscript or something like that, I just have the "PDF file generator" (Generic PDF file generator [en] (recommended). I suppose this is not a problem at all, and I can solve this by adding the new printer via the CUPS web (http://localhost:631). Does anyone know if the PDF file generator is OK, or should I choose the postscript one?

2 - I haven't been able to solve this problem though I've tried many things said in this thread. When I get to the last step of adding the printer, I get an error saying "Not permitted: Maybe the password is wrong". The same happens via the CUPS web: "401 Unauthorized: Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket."

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank's!

mssever
May 17th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hello!

I read all the posts in this thread hoping someone else had the same problem and had solved it, but it seems I'm the only one who has this problem.

I've just upgraded my dist to Hardy, and I've installed the cups-pdf package.

Following the tutorial, I try to add a new printer, but:

1- I choose the Generic printer and then I have to choose the model, but I have no model called postscript or something like that, I just have the "PDF file generator" (Generic PDF file generator [en] (recommended). I suppose this is not a problem at all, and I can solve this by adding the new printer via the CUPS web (http://localhost:631). Does anyone know if the PDF file generator is OK, or should I choose the postscript one?

2 - I haven't been able to solve this problem though I've tried many things said in this thread. When I get to the last step of adding the printer, I get an error saying "Not permitted: Maybe the password is wrong". The same happens via the CUPS web: "401 Unauthorized: Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a valid Kerberos ticket."

Can anyone help me, please?

Thank's!
Well, I'm running the Hardy Live CD right now and the PDF Printer is installed by default. If you don't already have it, then I'm sure the PDF file generator is what you want. Ubuntu configures the CUPS web interface strangely. You'll have to mess around with creating CUPS passwords if you want to use that interface, I think.

jonsg
June 23rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
I can confirm that "sudo aa-complain cupsd" works for me, too. Thanks, folks!

rpalmer2181
July 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM
seuaniu:
Look at any desktop OS. Is installing a PDF printer 'grandma intuitive'? No.

YES it is

pt123
January 17th, 2009, 09:26 PM
This doesn't work on Intrepid, I see they removed it from the default installation.
When you install cups-pdf, and try to print it throws of errors like
[ERROR] failed to create directory (/home/user/PDF)

When you manually create the folder it still throws of these errors.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/270046

Running
sudo aa-logprof
or
sudo aa-complain cups
seems to have fixed the problem, but still a mess.

Printing to PDF used to be one of the noticeable advantages for a desktop Ubuntu user over Windows.

mssever
January 17th, 2009, 10:40 PM
This doesn't work on Intrepid, I see they removed it from the default installation.
When you install cups-pdf, and try to print it throws of errors like
[ERROR] failed to create directory (/home/user/PDF)

When you manually create the folder it still throws of these errors.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/270046

Running
sudo aa-logprof
or
sudo aa-complain cups

Printing to PDF used to be one of the noticeable advantages for a desktop Ubuntu user over Windows.
This doesn't work in Intrepid because it doesn't need to work in Intrepid. The ability to generate PDFs is now built in to the standard print dialog and is always available. Just select "Print to file".

(Notice that this HOWTO because obsolete with the release of Edgy in October 2006. Every successive release of Ubuntu further obsoletes this HOWTO. You're best off heeding the red warning at the top of the first post and ignoring this thread.)

pt123
January 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
This doesn't work in Intrepid because it doesn't need to work in Intrepid. The ability to generate PDFs is now built in to the standard print dialog and is always available. Just select "Print to file".

"Print to File" is so cumbersome that it is a joke.

You have to specify the filename it is not smart enough to use the Title of the webpage,. This print to file in Firefox uses "mozilla.pdf"
While with cups-pdf it would print using the title of the webpage into a PDF folder without any fuss.
With cups PDF you also had access to settings like DPI.

mssever
January 18th, 2009, 12:38 AM
"Print to File" is so cumbersome that it is a joke.

You have to specify the filename it is not smart enough to use the Title of the webpage,. This print to file in Firefox uses "mozilla.pdf"
While with cups-pdf it would print using the title of the webpage into a PDF folder without any fuss.
With cups PDF you also had access to settings like DPI.
It's Gnome. What did you expect? :twisted:

Seriously, the concept is good (you shouldn't have to install cups-pdf separately), but you're right that there are major usability issues. That should be reported as a bug, if it hasn't already been.

heatpumpcontrol
May 7th, 2009, 03:49 AM
sudo aa-complain cups

This worked for me with cups 2.5.0-1ubuntu1 on Jaunty 9.04

Great thanks

ldjuda
June 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
sudo aa-complain cups

This worked for me, I am on Ubuntu 9.04.

sudo apt-get install cups-pdfthen

sudo aa-complain cups

zongpog
June 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
sudo aa-complain cups

Why? What does this do?

I have tried to get this to work on Ubuntu 9 with no success. I saw that there is a PDF printer installed but its uri is something bizarre:
cups-pdf:/

I cannot add a new PDF printer even though I changed /usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf to 4755.

oblong
June 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM
For Jaunty (9.04) I just did this:

Use Synaptic to install cups-pdf (2.5.0-1ubuntu1). That automatically added a printer called PDF. However, using that to print from an application failed with an error ("/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf failed", I think).

I then created a directory in my home directory called "PDF" (all capitals, no quotes) and it all worked, with the PDF files ending up there.

shields
June 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM

Use Synaptic to install cups-pdf (2.5.0-1ubuntu1). That automatically added a printer called PDF. However, using that to print from an application failed with an error ("/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf failed", I think).

I then created a directory in my home directory called "PDF" (all capitals, no quotes) and it all worked, with the PDF files ending up there.

That works! Thanks.:D

adamscottmartin
July 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Worked for me as well!

pt123
July 19th, 2009, 05:25 AM
to get it to work in Jaunty I had to this

sudo aa-complain cupsd

and not
sudo aa-complain cups
as in previous versions

davegk
August 4th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Worked for me as well!

Yep, same here (Jaunty 64bit) - glad I found the instruction to create PDF directory, I also did set permissions to others, as mentioned somewhere else.

The problem is - the printer itself is rather primitive, e.g. no way to reduce resulting file size - only resolution down to 150dpi (unlike in Acrobat Pro, where you can print same document as 10MB or a 100KB file), no [obvious] way to change file name and directory, although this is a minor inconvenience. For example: printing fillable form of 730KB resulted in a 2.9MB file, whereas in Acrobat Pro, even without tweaking the "Smalest File Size" option I get 98KB file. Guess which one I would prefer to email each week? :(

Actually, the whole situation with fillable pdf forms - especially creation and editing, is really bad, or to be precise, totally absent from Ubuntu. PDFEdit is a complete rubbish, and I am not aware of any other application that even close to Acrobat Pro in functionality. I have now moved to linux completely and am determined not to use Windows at all. Acrobat Pro and CorelDRAW are the two progs holding me back. Any help greatly appreciated :confused:

chaanakya_chiraag
August 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Wait, couldn't you just use the 'Print to File' printer and select pdf as the output type? That way, you even get to set the name and location of the resulting pdf!

chaanakya_chiraag
August 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
@pt123: Hmmm... That weird. I didn't have to either! I just installed the cups-pdf package and it all worked after that.

davegk
August 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Wait, couldn't you just use the 'Print to File' printer and select pdf as the output type? That way, you even get to set the name and location of the resulting pdf!

Yeah, but again - no way to select the resulting properties of pdf file (not that I expect "Print to File" to do that). And the main thing - "Print to File" is not available from certain application, namely Acrobat Reader. Both Cups-PDF and Print to File are okay for very basic "let's grab that page" kind of thing, but no use if you need to create a pdf file with specific qualities.

Incidentally, I have found a program, PDF Studio (not OSS, unfortunatelly) - looks almost as good as Acrobat Pro - basic editing, typewriter, interactive form handling. No way to create or edit interactive fields though, and no printing control comparable to Distiller ...

jdsumsion
August 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Actually, the whole situation with fillable pdf forms - especially creation and editing, is really bad, or to be precise, totally absent from Ubuntu. PDFEdit is a complete rubbish, and I am not aware of any other application that even close to Acrobat Pro in functionality. I have now moved to linux completely and am determined not to use Windows at all. Acrobat Pro and CorelDRAW are the two progs holding me back. Any help greatly appreciated :confused:

You may want to try Scribus. It's a desktop publishing app. Still has a few rough edges, but its PDF fillable forms stuff works ok.

The downside is that you have to lay your whole page out by hand. I couldn't get the pdf import stuff to work.

davegk
August 12th, 2009, 11:46 PM
You may want to try Scribus. It's a desktop publishing app. Still has a few rough edges, but its PDF fillable forms stuff works ok.

The downside is that you have to lay your whole page out by hand. I couldn't get the pdf import stuff to work.

I did actually try it, although not for pdf handling - I was trying to get it to work with Corel's converted (from cdr to svg) files - it was a total disaster: Scribus couldn't open a sigle file correctly, even most simple ones were horribly messed up... Perhaps I should try it again for pdf? I've decided to purchase PDF Studio anyway. If only they could make a proper launcher ...

rygle
August 21st, 2009, 04:44 AM
I did actually try it, although not for pdf handling - I was trying to get it to work with Corel's converted (from cdr to svg) files - it was a total disaster: Scribus couldn't open a sigle file correctly, even most simple ones were horribly messed up... Perhaps I should try it again for pdf? I've decided to purchase PDF Studio anyway. If only they could make a proper launcher ...

Inkscape should be able to import PDFs and convert them to SVG, plus it will also do the CDR to SVG conversion, as long as you have uniconvertor installed, which I think is a prerequisite of the 0.46 package anyway.

rygle
August 21st, 2009, 04:46 AM
Inkscape should be able to import PDFs and convert them to SVG, plus it will also do the CDR to SVG conversion, as long as you have uniconvertor installed, which I think is a prerequisite of the 0.46 package anyway.

You can also use OpenOffice to do basic form stuff if you import the PDF (there is a plugin from Sun), then put text boxes in the appropriate spots.

Maddog Battie
November 3rd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Just in case somebody is wondering how to print to PDF in 9.10 it is as simple as the following:

sudo apt-get install cups-pdf

You will then have a PDF printer option available with the output going to a PDF directory in your home directory.

pt123
November 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM
good hopefully no messing around with app armour

HandeH
February 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM
good hopefully no messing around with app armour

That's true. In Jaunty I only had to manually make PDF directories to my users' home folders and then correct the folder permissions of the home folders:

cd /home
chmod -v o+x [USER_NAME]
(^could also be applied to /home//PDF)

This way you will avoid security risks mentioned in a bug [U]report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-pdf/+bug/295536/comments/65)

corny
April 8th, 2010, 01:07 AM
ok. i lost cups-pdf upgrading from 8.04 to 9.4 too. installing cups-pdf via synaptic brought it back ready installed as printer. i could print with it, saw the print jobs in the queue but nothing in ~/PDF. i did not want to change access rights on home directories as mentioned elsewhere.

for me this from launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups-pdf/+bug/295536/comments/30) did the trick:
sudo vim /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd

and edit the line:
/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf {
in order to get:
/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf flags=(complain) {

restart AppArmor:
sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor restart

moreback
February 2nd, 2012, 04:39 AM
Hi! I was having problems to create my PDFs until finally I commented the line

Out ${HOME}/PDF

in /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf. Now my PDF goes to /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER} but at least gets printed :-)

pt123
April 22nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
after an upgrade from 10.10 to 12.04 the cups was working but this helped

Just have to remember to go into System --> Administration --> Printing (configure printing), and right-click
on the PDF printer to ENABLE it after the re-installation.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10742423&postcount=8