PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu

mbrend
November 27th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Hey guys, thinking of switching my laptop to Ubuntu, had a couple of questions before I made the switch though, hoping someone could help me out. Basically I was wondering if all my hardware on my laptop will still work with Ubuntu, specifically I'm worried about my WiFi no longer working. I have a Lenovo R400, not really sure about my wireless card, thinking its a intel link 5051 or something like that maybe, I tried looking it up under system information and it wasn't very helpful. Also, I run 4GB of RAM and a 2Ghz processor, will this be adequate to run Ubuntu? Thanks for the help guys. Mike

Redblade20XX
November 27th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Burn a live cd and try it out! No need to install yet! Your specs seem alright to run a buntu! Afterwards, you can even make a separate partition on your hdd, install, and run ubuntu without removing your windows. :)

- Red

egalvan
November 27th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I've got an older ThinkPad TP60.
it has 4GB RAM and the CPU is under 2.0GHz.
It runs Natty rather well...

I would suggest downloading Natty or Oneric
(11.04 or 11.10)
and running them as LiveCD to test your hardware.

I really wanted the Long Term Support from 10.04LTS, but 11.04 was much easier to run with the hardware,
and I also wanted newer software.

(Quite frankly, after 11.04 ends, I'll be switching away from Ubuntu, especially if the Unity stuff keeps on..., I can't get used to Unity.)

oldtimer7777
November 27th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hey guys, thinking of switching my laptop to Ubuntu, had a couple of questions before I made the switch though, hoping someone could help me out. Basically I was wondering if all my hardware on my laptop will still work with Ubuntu, specifically I'm worried about my WiFi no longer working. I have a Lenovo R400, not really sure about my wireless card, thinking its a intel link 5051 or something like that maybe, I tried looking it up under system information and it wasn't very helpful. Also, I run 4GB of RAM and a 2Ghz processor, will this be adequate to run Ubuntu? Thanks for the help guys. Mike

Here is a nice walkthrough to guide you through process of having a relatively complete Ubuntu system running.

https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-11-10-aka-oneiric-ocelot/

mbrend
November 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM
So how exactly does the live cd thing work? just open it and run, how do you exit out and stuff? sorry if this seems like stupid questions, I'm a noob, and not super computer savy, just getting tired of all the Windows BS and the fact that all i really need in a computer is a internet browser, media player, and Skype to talk to my friends overseas in the military. Thanks.

lisati
November 27th, 2011, 01:52 AM
A "live CD" lets you run something off CD instead of installing it to your computer. With an OS, one way of doing this is to tell your computer's boot process to load from CD instead of your computer's hard drive: there's usually some kind of setting when you first turn on your computer, e.g. "Press F2 to enter setup" or "Press Esc to select boot device".