PDA

View Full Version : Precise - new default applications

Harry33
November 25th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Precise has now changed a bit.
These changes can be tracked from the new ubuntu-meta package:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/ubuntu-meta/1.251

Banshee goes, Rhythmbox arrives (default player).
Gbrainy and Tomboy goes, and thus also mono goes (not anymore desktop-recommends).

BC59
November 25th, 2011, 11:08 AM
That's good news.

Among the first applications to remove after a fresh install were Banshee and Tomboy.

Starks
November 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM
I never figured out how to use Tomboy, so it was useless.

effenberg0x0
November 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
There was a port of Tomboy to C project a while ago. Not sure if it evolved to maturity. I'm using nixnote (Evernote) clone for a while. Despite being java (which I dislike) it's a fairly complete app.

MacUntu
November 25th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I don't see Banshee getting replaced by Rhythmbox on my system. :-)

effenberg0x0
November 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I could never find an extraordinary media app for linux. They all look the same, crash the same, lack the same stuff... I switched to mpd and am using something I'm doing in php/mysql/bash for media management via browser... I have associated xfree86 play, stop, next, etc to a script that sends it to mpd local server... In terms of resources usage and stability this setup is unquestionable.

Olle Wiklund
November 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Precise has now changed a bit.
These changes can be tracked from the new ubuntu-meta package:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/ubuntu-meta/1.251

Gbrainy and Tomboy goes, and thus also mono goes (not anymore desktop-recommends).
I am a notorious LTS user since the days of Hardy Heron. So this thread is interesting for me. I don't use Banshee, Gbrainy and Tomboy so it's good news that they leave and allow for other applications to use the space in the iso file(s).

pressureman
November 25th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Has everybody already forgotten that Ubuntu selected Banshee in favour of Rhythmbox as the default music player, just months ago in 11.04?

Seriously?

Will we be back to Banshee in 12.10? Or Audacious maybe? Maybe a new app... uTunes?

Harry33
November 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Has everybody already forgotten that Ubuntu selected Banshee in favour of Rhythmbox as the default music player, just months ago in 11.04?

Seriously?

Will we be back to Banshee in 12.10? Or Audacious maybe? Maybe a new app... uTunes?

Well it is always a good idea to choose the current best option.
For me it is not Rhythmbox, though i reckon rhythmbox is better than banshee ATM.
I use VLC for all media.

MacUntu
November 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Seriously?

What's your problem with that? Last LTS is using RB, new LTS will be using RB. The people that upgrade their OS every six months are a minority I guess.

pressureman
November 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
What's your problem with that? Last LTS is using RB, new LTS will be using RB. The people that upgrade their OS every six months are a minority I guess.

I'd be real interested to see your quantitative data to back up that claim. Just because you stick to LTS releases, does not automatically mean that the majority do likewise.

MacUntu
November 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
claim.
I didn't claim anything, therefore have nothing to proof.

Just because you stick to LTS releases
I don't even use releases longer than one or two weeks...

pressureman
November 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I didn't claim anything, therefore have nothing to proof.

I don't even use releases longer than one or two weeks...

Ok, if we're going to act like we're in kindergarten, I never claimed to have a problem with the choice of Banshee or Rhythmbox (since I used neither).

I just find it a bit surprising that nobody has commented so far about this u-turn decision by Ubuntu.

MacUntu
November 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
u-turn decision by Ubuntu.
I don't think it's a U-turn/cop-out. They gave Banshee a chance, it didn't work out (I'm still puzzled as to why, because the UDS session on that matter was disappointing), now back to Rhythmbox. I'm sure that Banshee gets reconsidered if it offers significant advantages over Rhythmbox.

effenberg0x0
November 25th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Ok, if we're going to act like we're in kindergarten, I never claimed to have a problem with the choice of Banshee or Rhythmbox (since I used neither).

I just find it a bit surprising that nobody has commented so far about this u-turn decision by Ubuntu.

Seriously? I couldn't give a f. f. about it... Why does that matter so much to you?

mc4man
November 25th, 2011, 07:01 PM
In regards to Rb this may be a good thing for those that like Rb. Now possibly there will be some incentive to fix bugs that have either languished for some time or where introduced in OO
(for one Rb's current treatment of audio cd's is quite embarrassing

shuttleworthwannabe
November 25th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Is RB so tightly integrated with Gnome desktop that is makes sense to bring it back; banshee was an add-on, right? not integrated into Gnome.
How about Clementine--it looks and feels like AmaroK; it is a complete player in my opinion.

pressureman
November 26th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Seriously? I couldn't give a f. f. about it... Why does that matter so much to you?

Actually, it doesn't matter that much to me. Like I said, I simply find it a bit surprising that so far I haven't seen any of the tech blogs point it out. Usually they pick up on that kind of thing.

Since I use neither app though, it really won't make a difference to me. I'm not entirely sure whether I'll stick with Ubuntu much longer anyway, but that's another story.

dmoconnell
November 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
IMO, I believe it has more to do with Mono then Banshee v RB. if you notice they also cut tomboy and Gbrainy which are the only other apps (in the default apps list) which use Mono.
Just my 2 cents
Dm

madjr
November 27th, 2011, 05:11 AM
IMO, I believe it has more to do with Mono then Banshee v RB. if you notice they also cut tomboy and Gbrainy which are the only other apps (in the default apps list) which use Mono.
Just my 2 cents
Dm

yes, they were using too much space on the cd.

and the problem with banshee was that it was unstable in 11.10 (which maybe they resolved now) and mono is unstable on ARM. Also we dont know if its going to be ported to gtk3 in time for PP.

but on beta2 they will have another look at banshee and see if the issues have been resolved.

There was a port of Tomboy to C project a while ago. Not sure if it evolved to maturity. I'm using nixnote (Evernote) clone for a while. Despite being java (which I dislike) it's a fairly complete app.

do you mean gnote?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/gnote-the-lightweight-tomboy-alternative/

effenberg0x0
November 27th, 2011, 05:23 AM
yes, they were using too much space on the cd.

and the problem with banshee was that it was unstable in 11.10 (which maybe they resolved now) and mono is unstable on ARM. Also we dont know if its going to be ported to gtk3 in time for PP.

but on beta2 they will have another look at banshee and see if the issues have been resolved.

do you mean gnote?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/gnote-the-lightweight-tomboy-alternative/

Exactly... last time I checked it was in 2009 or 2010, not sure. It seems like it's functional right now. It looks pretty much the same as Tomboy, so it's a real alternative for those that will complain about Mono-Tomboy being excluded from the ISO. Depending on the maturity, maybe it should even be added as a default, to avoid confusion and frustration by Tomboy or post-it-like apps fans.

(if you have the chance, have a look at nixnote (formerly nevernote). I'm completely dropping post-it-like apps for it.)

VinDSL
November 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Interesting!

Well... I use Tomboy, all the time, but I'm not a fanboi. Personally, I don't care which app they choose, as long as I can (easily) sync my notes with UbuOne.

And, I'll probably continue rolling with Banshee. I used to prefer RhythmBox (to Banshee) but since they dropped the rhythmbox-client tool, I have no use for it.

Actually, rhythmbox-client was the only good thing about RhythmBox, now that I think about it. :D

VinDSL
November 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
w00t!

Looks like rhythmbox-client is going to be revived in Precise. :KS

SOURCE: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/875064

Total rewrite...

Upstream GIT: http://git.gnome.org/browse/rhythmbox/commit/?id=5ec27a0dece6eb6d7e4d77da4f02f393bbe5c47f

Guess I'll be switching back to RB. :)

mc4man
November 29th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Well the dailies now have Rb instead of banshee (same (crappy) version of Rb as in OO), though the default music player has now been set to back to Totem

Harry33
November 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yes it is, by this new desktop-file-utils update (0.18-0ubuntu10):
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/+source/desktop-file-utils/0.18-0ubuntu10

jbicha
December 1st, 2011, 03:49 AM
Totem as default music player was a mistake; I expect that to be switched to Rhythmbox soon.

effenberg0x0
December 1st, 2011, 04:55 AM
Small thing, but I use it: rhythmbox does not support command-line arguments to control it like many other players (stuff like --play-pause, --stop, --next, --previous, etc). There was a program called rhythmbox-client that did that, but it's not available anywhere. And I'm failing to control it via dbus too (I don't know if it's dbus support is broken though, gotta try it when I am less tired).

jbicha
December 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Just to clarify. Totem is intentionally set as the default music player since Rhythmbox requires music to be added to the library before playing which isn't really what someone expects when double-clicking a music file.