PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where are program startup files

mhmiller
November 24th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 I am trying to set several programs including Skype and ClipIt to start at bootup. While I found the startup files for Firefox in usrs/lib file, there is nothing there for either Skype or ClipIt and so I can't add these programs to start up automatically. Where are those program startup files? do they all have the format "program.sh"? thanks BTW, the search function won't find these files either.

fleamour
November 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
You need to search for Startup Applications that used to be under Preferences in classic Gnome. What desktop environment (DE) are you using?

Gone fishing
November 24th, 2011, 06:46 PM
To get the program to start automatically you don't need to know where the executable is just add the command skype to startup applications and skype will start.

As it happens the Skype executable is in /usr/bin

BC59
November 24th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Solution:

Go to the upper right corner and push the third selection is Startup Applications.

Now go the the upper left corner the dash, search for the app you want eg Skype and click, drag and drop the icon into the Startup Applications.

That's it.

hakermania
November 24th, 2011, 06:59 PM
After you search the Dash for 'Startup Applications' and open the app, you will be shown this:
http://i.imgur.com/DG7IQ.png
You click on the 'add' button, and in the 'Command' field you type in the program's name. Click Add again in the new dialog so as to close and you're done!

mcduck
November 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 I am trying to set several programs including Skype and ClipIt to start at bootup. While I found the startup files for Firefox in usrs/lib file, there is nothing there for either Skype or ClipIt and so I can't add these programs to start up automatically. Where are those program startup files? do they all have the format "program.sh"? thanks BTW, the search function won't find these files either.

The standard location used for executable files of user-level programs is /usr/bin, you should find pretty much every program's executable there.

...and no, they are not all .sh files, some are, some are other types of scripts, and most just nomral binary executables. Keep in mind that Linux doesn't rely on file name extensions to mark executable files, it's simply a question of file actually being something you can execute and of course having the execute permission set.

Anyway, like Gone fishing said, the name of the program should be enough as long as the executable is in location that's included in your path (and /usr/bin of course is in the path by default)

mhmiller
November 25th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks all. I found it in usr/bin and used that and it works. I think I had tried to simply put the word skype as the program but it didn't work, though maybe I didn't hit "add" again after doing that. In any event it seems to have worked. And am glad to be learning a little more about Linux, though at this point is sort of feels like I'm back in the days of DOS.:D

Jacobonbuntu
November 25th, 2011, 07:37 AM
....to find out what is the right command to put in the startup items, you can also use "alacarte". look for the "properties" of an application entry...