PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Radeon in Precise

kaldor
November 22nd, 2011, 10:24 PM
I just decided to give a 12.04 daily build a go on my main computer to test the graphics capabilities on the default Radeon driver. I was using it on a 4 GB USB drive with the x86_64 ISO (live session).

I use a Radeon 6450 with 11.04's default Catalyst driver. Apart from usual Catalyst complaints (a bit of tearing, crappy 2d, etc) it's a very usable experience. However, the OSS drivers are pretty crap on the live USB session. Window dragging is very laggy and mouse movement is slightly choppy. Scrolling on web pages is even worse than on Catalyst in regard to jerkiness and tearing. The only improvements compared to Catalyst is the lack of tearing when watching videos or dragging windows; everything else is far worse.

I know that the OSS drivers aren't nearly as good as their proprietary counterparts when it comes to overall performance, but I was almost certain that the OSS drivers would work perfectly on GNOME Shell/Unity. I believe that the OSS drivers are actually the recommended choice for these new Desktops.

Is this an isolated issue or are other people experiencing this as well on Radeon cards?

Jordanwb
November 23rd, 2011, 03:27 AM
I've got an HD5750 and I'm having an almost opposite experience. The radeon are smooth for compositing and that kind of stuff but Minecraft is around 15FPS. the Catalyst drivers were a pain to set up and stuttered every second.

kaldor
November 23rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
Just gave Fedora 16 a go. Everything in F16 works 99% flawlessly and beats the Catalyst drivers in everything except 3d.

I'm guessing this is a Unity issue.