PDA

View Full Version : Package list

stlsaint
November 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM
Alright people with a new release comes new packages. So as to continue keeping you, the community, involved with the progress of UCE i am here to simply ask, "What do you want in UCE?"

This is a very serious question and every answer, package, suggestion will be highly viewed over by the developers and be considered for inclusion. Of course we want to keep a small iso size but install the necessary packages. Please understand that not every package suggested can be included. We want to provide all the must adequate tools available to cover as many jobs as possible. We are open to all suggestions here but ultimately not every package will make the cut! With that said..fire away folks!

Anastasis
November 22nd, 2011, 05:04 PM
I want it to have a pretty lion and lamb wallpaper in pastures green, and a panel fish that swims around. :P

stlsaint
November 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM
I want it to have a pretty lion and lamb wallpaper in pastures green, and a panel fish that swims around. :P

LOL. It will be considered but i have a strong feeling we will leave that up to you to add yourself.

nmhenry71655
November 23rd, 2011, 05:24 AM

Sigh. Comedians... :D

trulan
November 26th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Here's my must-have's:
Xiphos
OpenSong
LibreOffice
Firefox
Totem, GStreamer, etc.
Shotwell
Banshee or another full-featured music player
Dansguardian (of course)

And some other good stuff I will vote for:
Gramps (genealogy database software)
GnuCash or another good personal finance software
KeePassX

hoobuntu
November 27th, 2011, 06:07 AM
From an audio standpoint, something like Audacity would be useful for recording and archiving sermons. I wouldn't even mind seeing Ardour or some other DAW for more complex things, but maybe that's just my contemporary praise band bias. :)

Glad to see this happening.

trulan
November 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Audacity would be great, I'll +1 that.

Ardour is an awesome program and is something I use regularly, but that would be overdone for UbuntuCE, in my opinion. If somebody wants Ardour, they really should be installing the Ubuntu Studio audio and audio-plugins metapackages. The whole JACK thing, great as it is, isn't exactly geared toward 'normal people'. Plus it tends to be a configuration nightmare, and while I don't mind helping people with it, those kind of questions would be better asked in the Ubuntu Studio forums.

Another good package for inclusion would be a decent video editor. kdenlive if you're using a kde-based desktop environment, openshot if you're keeping kde out of it.

stlsaint
November 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Audacity would be great, I'll +1 that.

Ardour is an awesome program and is something I use regularly, but that would be overdone for UbuntuCE, in my opinion. If somebody wants Ardour, they really should be installing the Ubuntu Studio audio and audio-plugins metapackages. The whole JACK thing, great as it is, isn't exactly geared toward 'normal people'. Plus it tends to be a configuration nightmare, and while I don't mind helping people with it, those kind of questions would be better asked in the Ubuntu Studio forums.

Another good package for inclusion would be a decent video editor. kdenlive if you're using a kde-based desktop environment, openshot if you're keeping kde out of it.

Inlcuding the kde desktop environment would be a bit much for now imo.