PDA

View Full Version : Connect to SpeedStream 6520 USB

i336
November 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi.

I have a rather old laptop here (333MHz AMD something or other, 64MB of RAM, ~4GB HDD) that I decided I wanted to try and get networked to this computer I'm using now, as well as the 'Net.

Since the laptop has no Ethernet port I first attempted to get PPP working over the serial port - which worked, even using DOS, the only OS the laptop runs with anything resembling speed... only to discover my shiny new connection was only 14.4k. :biggrin:

So now I'd like to try and connect the laptop to my SpeedStream 6520 modem/router via its USB port but I need to know if this is worth it because I want to be able to connect to the rest of the local network as well as the 'Net, one of the reasons I got a PPP link working - I'm considering VNCing from the laptop back to this machine, which is plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the '6520, and browsing that way. I'm not exactly fascinated by the idea of forking out for a USB or Ethernet adaptor at this point because the laptop is a pretty old machine, both local browsing and VNC won't be that fast, the thing's mouse-less (the PS/2 controller is fried, so I'd have to use an external USB mouse :|), and I won't really have much use for the adaptor elsewhere. :P

And the laptop obviously doesn't run Ubuntu :cool:; it runs Lowarch, a (now-dead) fork of Arch Linux (the distro I use on this machine) for the i486 architecture. I'll most likely be building whatever software you mention from source because the distro CD didn't include many packages, but I don't mind. If I can access the rest of the network it'll be worth it :)

Thanks in advance.

-i336