PDA

View Full Version : Change my profile

benpack101
November 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I want to change some settings in my profile and whenever I click on "Edit your details" I get an error message saying I do not have permission to access the page. It tells me:

Your user account has less than 50 posts.
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I have had this account since May.

What is the reason behind all of this?

Thanks in advance!

CharlesA
November 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
You need to have 50 beans.

See the sticky here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1836816

scottbomb
November 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have my 50 beans and still can't edit profile:

scottbomb, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account has less than 50 posts.
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

lisati
November 17th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Please be patient. It can take up to an hour for the forum software to update your permissions.

Usksider
November 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Having run popular online forums myself I appreciate the amount of work that goes on to keep spammers and other abusers at bay, so endorse the 50 bean rule at least up to a point and it's only a small point... I have used this platform infrequently for 18 months and my bean count is still in the 30s, which means the details on my profile are very much behind the times and really NEED to be updated. You may argue that I need to post more, but if I have nothing useful to contribute isn't posting for the sake of posting little better than spam? :rolleyes:

Just to put the record straight and despite what my profile might tell you, I'm currently running the 32-Bit version of Ubuntu 11.10. I no longer use Linux Mint (I'm told the new version is excellent so may give that a go), have tried OpenSUSE 11, didn't like it and have no inclination to try other flavours of Linux, although I would like to try Ubuntu Studio at some stage, but haven't got around to that yet. :)

Aside from photography my main interests are cooking, which I'm excellent at, and playing guitar, which I've only started doing again since retiring just so I can drive the neighbours mad with my (badly performed) Eric Clapton, Gary Moore, Carlos Santana, Roy Buchanan, etc. licks played loud through my Marshall stack (with the windows open)! :guitar:
There... that's another bean to add to my rather small collection. :lolflag:

ahendriks
November 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
indeed.... strange that i can't change my profile... it states i'm using ubuntu 9.10... that was 2 years ago... nowadays i'm using 11.10!

coffeecat
November 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
indeed.... strange that i can't change my profile...

Please read the link that CharlesA posted in post #2. It explains why.

Elfy
November 18th, 2011, 04:17 PM
indeed.... strange that i can't change my profile... it states i'm using ubuntu 9.10... that was 2 years ago... nowadays i'm using 11.10!

If you need to get support then tell people what you're using - the likelihood they'd assume you to not be using an EOL version anyway.

Perfect Storm
November 18th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Both changed to 11.10

Talar
November 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Have not been here for a long time so it kinda sucks not being able to update my profile, but I understand there is a good reason behind it. Maybe in a year or two I will have worked my way up to 50 posts :(

Maybe you could just wipe my profile data and leave it empty until I get permission to edit it myself again?